METS FANS: Seven Years Ago Today (7/29/22) ... Wilmer Cried

Gugny

July 29, 2015

Mets fans give Wilmer Flores a standing ovation and he has no idea why.  Then he finds out he's being traded.  Terry Collins still sends him out to take the field in the top of the 8th.  Mets fans continue to show their love for Wilmer.  Homegrown, gutsy player.  Clearly LOVES being a Met.  Flores couldn't contain his emotions and cried in front of tens of thousands of fans and even more TV viewers.

It's a Mets moment that I'll never forget.  I was just looking at Wilmer's 2022 stats the other day.  I miss the kid.  

This link has a fantastic step-by-step rundown of what exactly happened that night.  Interesting read.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/featured/wilmer-flores-changed-baseball-history-by-crying

#LFGM

Edited by Gugny

That night was only half of the story.

The trade-in-place was for Carlos Lopez but it fell through due to medical concerns with Lopez. Mets were left with egg on their face allowing the leak that led to pretty much everyone in the stadium knowing about the trade except Wilmer and not getting the impact player they needed. 

I don't remember the exact timeline - and I'm too lazy to look it up - but within the next two days or so the Mets landed Cespedes at the trade deadline and Wilmer hit a walk-off HR. Cespedes ended up carrying the Mets to the World Series.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.