Clarification on Spencer Brown injury

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

How's Tenuta looking these days?

Like a rookie as Epenesa (who we haven’t heard much about so far) was taking him to school. That’s to be expected though for a late round pick at this stage. I think he’s destined for the practice squad. 

4 hours ago, JaBu said:

Like a rookie as Epenesa (who we haven’t heard much about so far) was taking him to school. That’s to be expected though for a late round pick at this stage. I think he’s destined for the practice squad. 

We haven’t heard much about AJ?  I heard that he had a sack in 4 straight practices and has looked pretty good

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the Bills like Doyle.  He was behind Brown in his development, but if he has to play this season, I would expect his performance level will be similar to Brown's a year ago.  It won't be mistake free, but I think he would be OK against average opposition.  I just wouldn't want him lining up against Von Miller if Josh Allen's health depended on Doyle having the upper hand.

17 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If screws, bone grafts, and plates are involved, all bets are off.

Internal fixation on the vertebrates for an NFL O-lineman would be serious.  There is no indication made by McDermott's "procedure" comment to suggest that.

During spring practices, Brown was not in attendance working out. At the time, Buffalo head coach Sean McDermott downplayed the issue saying Brown has “got a little something going on that he had a procedure on.”

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Just curious. I'd like to know what 'minor' procedures that there are regarding spinal surgery?

I (still) have problems with S1, L4,and L5. In the last year, the very top of my cervical spine, cracks like a knuckle, when I move my head up, and down. 

I was seeing a Neurosurgeon @ Buffalo General, back in the early '90's. The Doc wanted to do a fusion procedure on my back. I literally couldn't walk down a flight of stairs, at that time. He said: "You can try doing physical therapy".

I worked my ass off to strengthen my core muscles, over a period of 7 weeks, and I got better. I avoided being 'cut'. That being said, I have back pain that has been with me every day, since a 1972 car accident.

I know 3 people who have had back surgery. Two of those surgeries, were bad outcomes.

I've had a number of surgeries, in my life. (Including several Orthopedic procedures)

The idea of back surgery, scares the $h¡t out of me.

Cleaning up some disk issues or shaving a spur are considered minor.  I'm not an orthopedic surgeon but I spent my entire working

career helping to engineer and manufacture fixation devices.

No one wants back surgery, and it is extremely scary and dangerous.  It just sounds like Spencer's procedure wasn't too invasive.

Let's all hope that is what McDermott meant.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is my favorite part of the article 

It’s not to the whistle, it’s to the echo of the whistle. It’s that fine line when you stop. Do you stop when you hear the whistle or do you stop when that whistle stops – or the whistle echoes? It’s always to the echo of the whistle.”

“On the first series of the game, people might think, what’s wrong with this guy? But if you keep it up into quarter three and four, it starts wearing on guys. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Technically a discectomy is considered minimally invasive without a fusion… but even that can take up to 2-3 months to heal… especially someone who plays football for a living so I’m curious when he got the surgery(and if the vertebrae were fused)… but my guess is it was a partial discectomy. 

I can't imagine he had a fusion.  Most patients are never the same after that and often that's the first of their surgeries.

• Agree 2

On 7/29/2022 at 8:23 PM, NewEra said:

We haven’t heard much about AJ?  I heard that he had a sack in 4 straight practices and has looked pretty good

He was crushing it early on last year as well and then sort of petered out after week one.   Hopefully this year he can make that leap.

• Like (+1) 1

We don’t know so why speculate?  If it is a procedure not necessarily something invasive, it’s always better to air on the side of caution for any lineman defense or offense when it comes to the neck or back. Ques has been practicing well and played Tackle for the Titans the entire year.

I don’t know what’s got gon with Dion, but said a prayer this morning as this sounds like a lost loved one.  It’s none of our business and if he wants to share fine, but these guys are people just like us and suffer loss, or maybe it was something else.

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

We don’t know so why speculate?  If it is a procedure not necessarily something invasive, it’s always better to air on the side of caution for any lineman defense or offense when it comes to the neck or back. Ques has been practicing well and played Tackle for the Titans the entire year.

I don’t know what’s got gon with Dion, but said a prayer this morning as this sounds like a lost loved one.  It’s none of our business and if he wants to share fine, but these guys are people just like us and suffer loss, or maybe it was something else.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:00 AM, Process said:

Yea...im concerned about the RT spot. Even if he bounces back from the injury, we still don't know if he's actually a good starter or not. He was a mess at times last year. 

And depth across the o line is pretty poor. 

What? The depth is outstanding, probably the best in the league

49 minutes ago, Magox said:

He was crushing it early on last year as well and then sort of petered out after week one.   Hopefully this year he can make that leap.

Yeah, I’m not counting on him to be a stud or anything.  It just seems like he’s having a pretty good camp from the bits I’ve seen online

• Like (+1) 1

Though I'd rather have Brown practicing, it does give the Bills the opportunity to see if they have an adequate replacement in training camp vs during the season.  Let's hope for the best for Brown, Crowder, and Tre.  I'm glad that other players are getting the opportunity to shine. It pays to have "reliable" depth.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.