Tyler Bass interview in TBN

YoloinOhio

“You sit back, you reflect and, most importantly, you just learn and grow,” Bass told The Buffalo News on Wednesday. “Wins and losses, you just take something out of that and grow and move forward. But I would say a couple of weeks, and then after that, it's just been all eyes (ahead) and looking forward to what's next. ... I've already learned from it, I've already gotten better from it."

The Bills have kept corrections and explanations internal since the playoff game ended, with coach Sean McDermott always citing general execution. Bass’ approach is in line with the rest of coaching staff and players as they eagerly shift focus to prepare for the upcoming season.

“Through the end of the game, I don't really want to get into details about that, but what I can say, is that we've watched it. We've learned from it. We've grown from it. And we've had a great offseason as a team and looking forward to what's next,” Bass said.

“But I would say the feeling in the locker room after, it's a feeling that is going to fuel us, motivate us, especially me," he added. "You just hate losing, and games like that will stick with you, and it'll fuel you for the next opportunity.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

“When you have competition, competition usually brings out the best, and it's bringing out the best in both of them,” Bass said. “And as far as holding goes, I trust both of them, 100%. I've kicked with them through spring. … And they've done a great job.”

If football is known to be a game of inches, holding can be a game of millimeters. Bass can feel the slightest difference, and the precision, particularly with the lean of the ball, can make all the difference on a windy day.

“If anything’s a little off, it sounds like we’re being very hard on the holder,” Bass said, “But it’s got to be almost perfect.”

Both punters are fully receptive to even the tiniest tweaks and corrections that come with job, knowing what’s at stake. And Bass is comfortable enough with the group to voice anything at all he’s noticing.

“For new Matt (Matt Araiza), it's just him learning me,” Bass said. “Matt (Haack) known me for a whole season, so he knows how I like it. And during the spring, I've told Matt Araiza exactly how I like it. …

“So that's the biggest thing is just him understanding what you want, and once he knows that, he can start replicating it over and over again. Now, it's at the point (that) it's just repetition. The more repetition, the better.”

This was interesting, IMO.

52 minutes ago, The Dean said:

This was interesting, IMO.

It's good to finally get confirmation that Araiza is holding. Up until now I hadn't seen anything about it, but I haven't been watching too closely either.

If he's holding well, then he's probably going to beat Haack in this competition. 

I’d like to believe this as having a kicker nick-named Punt God is a 1st in the NFL. Certainly, routine 70 yarders with occasional EIGHTY YARDERS will catch anyones eye!  But this is Buffalo. How many kicker-friendly weather games did we have last season? With the NE playoff game being the 10th home game, maybe 3?😳

Hang time and PK holding are essential. He didn’t show these at all in college. Granted, he was PK too and was an animal covering kicks, but that doesn’t translate to the pro game either.
I don’t like Haak and hope he’s done in Buffalo, but the devil you know… 

55 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's good to finally get confirmation that Araiza is holding. Up until now I hadn't seen anything about it, but I haven't been watching too closely either.

If he's holding well, then he's probably going to beat Haack in this competition. 

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I believe it was during Mondays camp session that Araiza held for eight field goals by Bass and he hit them all.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I believe it was during Mondays camp session that Araiza held for eight field goals by Bass and he hit them all.

Didn't Araiza say at some point prior to camp that he was working on holding for FGs because he knew it would be required of him in the NFL?

When I attended high school back in the Upper Paleolithic Era, one of my friends was the FG kicker.  Sometimes after practice, I would hold from him.  I won't claim to have ever mastered the craft at the NFL level.  But it didn't seem a supremely difficult skill to learn if you had decent hand-eye coordination.   Most NFL punters, Bojo excepted, figure it out.  

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Didn't Araiza say at some point prior to camp that he was working on holding for FGs because he knew it would be required of him in the NFL?

When I attended high school back in the Upper Paleolithic Era, one of my friends was the FG kicker.  Sometimes after practice, I would hold from him.  I won't claim to have ever mastered the craft at the NFL level.  But it didn't seem a supremely difficult skill to learn if you had decent hand-eye coordination.   Most NFL punters, Bojo excepted, figure it out.  

Yes.  He even posted videos of it.

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Would you rather have Bass kick a 65yard FG, or have Araiza try it?

How about 70yards?

I know the punt god has a meme-worthy leg, but Bass coming into the draft was praised for his leg strength.  Weren't there videos of Bass kicking a 50 yarder with no run up? 

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I also read about Araiza working on holding before coming to camp. At least he said he did.

And I'm sure learning to hold isn't some very difficult task.  But it's not just learning to hold. It's learning to be PERFECT holding. Laces out (or wherever the K wants them). Ball tilted just so. And it all done within a VERY specific time frame.  With the defense charging toward you.

There are bad holds very week, most likely, I've seen missed kicks that clearly look like the culprit was the holder---ball leaning to the side, laces right on the K's foot, etc. Happens more than some here seem to think. They liked Haak (or so I'm told) because he didn't make those mistakes. They want/need Araiza to be that excellent---or at least very close.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.