Chase Edmonds was “very, VERY” close to signing with the Bills this offseason

Logic

Just now, BUFFALOBART said:

That's why ANYONE who makes serious Bank, should have a 1st class accountant. I doubt that taxes is a reason that a particular free agent, might not want to come to NYS. I know for a fact, that Wall St. was the major source of NYS revenue, up until about a decade ago

. Due to corporate tax breaks, the major revenue source burden has shifted to individuals.

Didnt stop Miller.  Over stated imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I agree. It is a non factor, for a player signing with the Bills. If taxes is first and foremost, in a players mind, then he likely did not want to be in Buffalo, in the first place.

BTW, people who use services like 'Turbo Tax', are shooting themselves in the foot...

I don't think anyone is saying the NY state tax  issue is "first and foremost" but to say that it isn't a factor is just ridiculous.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Didnt stop Miller.  Over stated imo. 

Also talking about 6m AAV vs 20m AAV.

I'm sure for the big contracts it doesn't matter as much to players the same as the guys signing for 2m AAV.

Edited by The Wiz

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

How do the taxes compare to the California teams? Unless you’ve paid California taxes, it’s probably not “personal” like it probably is for many in WNY. I think coaching, team talent (we have this guy named Josh players seem to like), scheme, positional depth/competition and of course the almighty dollar come in well behind taxes. The Rams don’t seem to struggle to attract players. 

Having said that, it IS a factor. 

CA and NY are probably the two highest taxed states in the country, CA for sure the highest.

Regarding the LA market though, obviously a lot of guy are willing to look past that to live and play in southern california.

33 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

CA and NY are probably the two highest taxed states in the country, CA for sure the highest.

Regarding the LA market though, obviously a lot of guy are willing to look past that to live and play in southern california.

Exactly. There are a LOT of factors, and taxes is just one of them. Bills players don’t have Rodeo Drive or Pacific sunsets, but they seem to appreciates thousands of fans showing up to meet a flight coming in during winter after midnight. 

There is a very long list of factors players have to measure. First and foremost is money (especially guaranteed money), but then there are a lot of other things to consider. Different players will weight these other factors (weather, taxes, culture, fanbase, chance to win, scheme fit, etc) differently, as they should. 

I’m not saying WNY isn’t as good as LA. I’m saying WNY has a lot of great stuff to offer and they usually love it after they get a taste. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Purely based on player comparison, I’d probably rather have Cook, too.

The only thing I’ll say is that successfully signing a running back would have allowed the Bills to use their second round pick on a more premium position. The failure to land a FA RB may have cost them a talented interior lineman, corner, safety, or tight end.

Oh well. What’s done is done, and I do believe that Cook will be a good player.

Finally, somebody that gets it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gjv said:

I wonder how many free agents hesitate to sign with the Bills because of the extreme punitive state and local taxes.

It’s not what most people think. Players are paid by the game and pay income tax for that particular game in that particular state. When Miami plays here …they pay NYS income tax on that games wages….and visa versa

rsa 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not as many as fans with agendas like to believe. Plus, when you balance out cost of living compared to other "low tax" areas, and even factor in other types of taxes, it usually all washes out with minimal difference.

I would agree that the weather plays into it some. Even more so than taxes. And its certainly not great that Buffalo gets the worse weather AND perceived higher taxes.

You are dreaming, YOU can offset the taxes with low COL, somebody getting blasted at 10.9% of their income is not offsetting that. Allen is losing 4.4 million a year vs any no state tax team.  You think agents don’t get that? C’mon man.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

You are dreaming, YOU can offset the taxes with low COL, somebody getting blasted at 10.9% of their income is not offsetting that. Allen is losing 4.4 million a year vs any no state tax team.  You think agents don’t get that? C’mon man.

I think that’s about the cost of the house he just built in OP. It has 33 acres or something 

Edited by YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Did you factor in the tax savings when considering that players employed by teams in states with no income tax play road games in states with an income tax they have to pay tax on those earnings in those states? It’s nice not to pay income tax for home games, but there my be up to eight or nine games a year when they do have to pay income taxes. 

• Agree 2

Could we stand to have two Edmonds / Edmunds that might not live up to a select few posters expectations, the number of threads stealth or otherwise would be endless 😂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Also, states with high taxes are also the same places with high costs-of-living.

California and NYS are also thinking about taxing work done outside the state if your primary residence is inside the state, So double taxed for away games?

If it's entirely about money (JJ Watt) it factors in the decision, but how many players forget about it until after they get their first paycheck?

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think that’s about the cost of the house he just built in OP. It has 33 acres or something 

It's a big plot, that's for sure.  And it's in a pretty nice spot.  The builder of his house just broke ground on another project for a different Bill in roughly the same area. 

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

Did you factor in the tax savings when considering that players employed by teams in states with no income tax play road games in states with an income tax they have to pay tax on those earnings in those states? It’s nice not to pay income tax for home games, but there my be up to eight or nine games a year when they do have to pay income taxes. 

Still losing 10.9% of all the games you play in NY, all your signing bonus, all you performance bonuses etc.  Its an asinine amount any way you try to justify it.

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Also, states with high taxes are also the same places with high costs-of-living.

California and NYS are also thinking about taxing work done outside the state if your primary residence is inside the state, So double taxed for away games?

If it's entirely about money (JJ Watt) it factors in the decision, but how many players forget about it until after they get their first paycheck?

Players don’t forget about it, high tax teams have to pay more or give the players a reason to be there that out weighs it.  If you have 2 equal offers, two “equal teams” (there’s no such thing, I know), one where you lose 11% to taxes or one where none are taken, on a $10M deal, where ya going? I’m not giving up over a million. 

This is going to be a big factor for lower tier players, like the pass catching RB, that trying to make his one big payday and max out his career earnings.   

Guys that have made a lot already and want to chase a ring are going to be easier to convince.  Miller has made a ton from day one, his top options were heavily taxed states, unless he went to Dallas in which case he could have made more with less chance to win.  

Taxes screw the teams trying to fill the mid to low level holes and the non-contenders. All things equal, it makes sense to look to low/no income states.  

15 hours ago, Augie said:

How do the taxes compare to the California teams? Unless you’ve paid California taxes, it’s probably not “personal” like it probably is for many in WNY. I think coaching, team talent (we have this guy named Josh players seem to like), scheme, positional depth/competition and of course the almighty dollar come in well behind taxes. The Rams don’t seem to struggle to attract players. 

Having said that, it IS a factor. 

WNY taxes are similar to Los Angeles, which is insane.  That said, California is beautiful, full of beautiful women, great weather etc.  The place itself is a draw.  

The other thing you aren’t considering, MOST of the big contracts the Rams have are not guys actively going there in FA, it’s trades to bring them in or they were drafted there and got guaranteed money before their contract ended, taking security over injury risk.   Look at the roster, what big contracts do they have that haven’t been drafted or traded for?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.