Chase Edmonds was “very, VERY” close to signing with the Bills this offseason

Logic

If either the Edmonds or McKissic signings had worked out, I can’t help but wonder what the Bills’ second round pick would’ve been. I know, I know, “BPA”. But position wise, methinks either WR or TE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Edmonds is a good player...but I think I'll take Cook on a rookie deal over Edmonds at this point, even tho Edmonds might be able to help them more right away.  I don't think Cook will be too far into the year before he starts making eye popping plays in the pass game.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 7

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Edmonds is a good player...but I think I'll take Cook on a rookie deal over Edmonds at this point, even tho Edmonds might be able to help them more right away.  I don't think Cook will be too far into the year before he starts making eye popping plays in the pass game.

Purely based on player comparison, I’d probably rather have Cook, too.

The only thing I’ll say is that successfully signing a running back would have allowed the Bills to use their second round pick on a more premium position. The failure to land a FA RB may have cost them a talented interior lineman, corner, safety, or tight end.

Oh well. What’s done is done, and I do believe that Cook will be a good player.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Can Edmonds even stay healthy? Seems every year he's missing games for this or that.

I too like Big Turk just said, prefer Cook over Chase anyways. I think he offers a more dynamic dimension to his game & is many years younger too.

Just a lot more upside to his game than what Edmonds can be & for us I think a better fit.

Why would any RB want to come to Buffalo if they have options and are trying to maximize future earning potential? It’s like the opposite of when FA WRs didn’t want to come. Of course he likes the fit with McDaniel! He wants a run based offense.

1 minute ago, gjv said:

I wonder how many free agents hesitate to sign with the Bills because of the extreme punitive state and local taxes.

Probably none. It’s not that big of a deal, teams are aware of the tax differences and make up for it in other ways. Plus it’s only relevant for their game checks that they play in NYS. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why would any RB want to come to Buffalo if they have options and are trying to maximize future earning potential? It’s like the opposite of when FA WRs didn’t want to come. Of course he likes the fit with McDaniel! He wants a run based offense.

Probably none. It’s not that big of a deal, teams are aware of the tax differences and make up for it in other ways. Plus it’s only relevant for their game checks that they play in NYS. 

I think a pass catching RB would come to Buffalo.  

Someone like Nick Chubb or Jonathan Taylor... yea, zero reason why there would be any interest on either side for a guy like that in this Offense, for the money they'd command.  

Re: NY, I don't think it's nothing..  Weather and Taxes likely come into play for FA's if all things are equal.  Which is why it's a good thing, under McBeane/Allen, things are not equal.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, gjv said:

I wonder how many free agents hesitate to sign with the Bills because of the extreme punitive state and local taxes.

Not as many as fans with agendas like to believe. Plus, when you balance out cost of living compared to other "low tax" areas, and even factor in other types of taxes, it usually all washes out with minimal difference.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think a pass catching RB would come to Buffalo.  

Someone like Nick Chubb or Jonathan Taylor... yea, zero reason why there would be any interest on either side for a guy like that in this Offense, for the money they'd command.  

Re: NY, I don't think it's nothing..  Weather and Taxes likely come into play for FA's if all things are equal.  Which is why it's a good thing, under McBeane/Allen, things are not equal.  

I would agree that the weather plays into it some. Even more so than taxes. And its certainly not great that Buffalo gets the worse weather AND perceived higher taxes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The craziness with taxes is mindblowing...no way you could do it on your own, definitely need a professional to help with it, and California is far worse for taxes than NYS is.

Taxes probably come into the picture if all of the football issues are the same between options.  Zero state income taxes in Tn, Florida, and Texas are a big deal when you consider the size of the contracts that players have in the NFL.  That's why it is important that Beane and McD keep the football issues in a highly desirable condition.  Playing with a guy like Josh Allen likely tips the scales in the Bills favor for many free agents as well.

So glad him and Mckissick chose the way they did.  Cook is a better prospect than either.  He was THE big play threat for the best team in the country.  In the biggest games he had his biggest plays.  Cook is going to a Kamara or Mccaffery type player.  Very quickly he becomes the main back.  

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

So glad him and Mckissick chose the way they did.  Cook is a better prospect than either.  He was THE big play threat for the best team in the country.  In the biggest games he had his biggest plays.  Cook is going to a Kamara or Mccaffery type player.  Very quickly he becomes the main back.  

Great, so Cook will be on IR week 2.

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Great, so Cook will be on IR week 2.

Dont say that lol.  He has a different body type anyways.  He is the highest offensive skill player drafted by this regime and I dont think thats getting enough attention.  He is going to get 15 plus touches out of the box.  Vs the looks he is getting early watch out.  

1 hour ago, gjv said:

How do the taxes compare to the California teams? Unless you’ve paid California taxes, it’s probably not “personal” like it probably is for many in WNY. I think coaching, team talent (we have this guy named Josh players seem to like), scheme, positional depth/competition and of course the almighty dollar come in well behind taxes. The Rams don’t seem to struggle to attract players. 

Having said that, it IS a factor. 

Edited by Augie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.