Najee Harris tries to convert young Bills fan at Steelers camp

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

why did she pick up a Bills hat when in Buffalo.  The answer is clear: she is a closet Bills fan raising her son to be a Bills fan!!!  

well, to be fair, we don't have a pro team here because our cheap owner Bob Nutting refuses to invest in a winning team.  I've become a Braves fan living in PGH.  haha.  Bills, Pens, Braves.  

As a kid I always listened to the Pirates broadcasts with Lanny Frattare & Co. on KDKA, and distinctly still recall the epic Game 7’s between the Bucs and the Braves in 91, 92—which of course turned me into a lifelong Braves hater to this day. 😆; but haven’t really followed the Pirates other than in passing since leaving PGH, as their ownership makes it clear they don’t care so why should I? That said, PNC is still one of the best parks in the country to see a baseball game at imho! 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

As a kid I always listened to the Pirates broadcasts with Lanny Frattare & Co. on KDKA, and distinctly still recall the epic Game 7’s between the Bucs and the Braves in 91, 92—which of course turned me into a lifelong Braves hater to this day. 😆; but haven’t really followed the Pirates other than in passing since leaving PGH, as their ownership makes it clear they don’t care so why should I? That said, PNC is still one of the best parks in the country to see a baseball game at imho! 

My first in person professional sporting event was watching the Pirates in Forbes Field as a 6-7 year old.   Stargell hit one out of the stadium that day. On another visit (at Three Rivers) I got to see Clement throw a guy out at first base, after he took a little to long of a turn to second. 

My Mom was from a suburb of Pittsburgh and many of my relatives are Yinzers. So while not the biggest baseball fan, the Pirates are still my team. And the Steelers are my #2 NFL team, I guess.

As to Najee, he's a real class act and a terrific RB.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, chongli said:

What? Not a Sabres fan?! 😄

And the semi-official MLB team of Buffalo is the NY Yankees. The Buffalo News held a vote in the early 80's and asked readers which team they should cover since Buffalo didn't have a team. The Yankees were the overwhelming choice. The only MLB team that did not get a single vote was the Braves.

So I grew up in upstate NY and basically only watched Football and College Bball, so I'm a Bills/Cuse fan.  Started watching hockey later in middle school when I moved to PGH, so I was a Pens fan.  Still like the Sabers as a 2nd team, however.  

In terms of that survey: what.  Blasphemy.  I can't stand the Yankees, or Red Sox, likely ESPNs fault for over playing both teams.  

Time for another vote by the Buffalo News! Heck, a PGH paper should take a vote since we don't have a real major league team.  I know many here either "follow the MLB" with no team, or chose Cleveland since it's the closest.  I ended up with the Braves since they were on TV growing up, and the company my wife works for is based in ATL.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

So I grew up in upstate NY and basically only watched Football and College Bball, so I'm a Bills/Cuse fan.  Started watching hockey later in middle school when I moved to PGH, so I was a Pens fan.  Still like the Sabers as a 2nd team, however.  

In terms of that survey: what.  Blasphemy.  I can't stand the Yankees, or Red Sox, likely ESPNs fault for over playing both teams.  

Time for another vote by the Buffalo News! Heck, a PGH paper should take a vote since we don't have a real major league team.  I know many here either "follow the MLB" with no team, or chose Cleveland since it's the closest.  I ended up with the Braves since they were on TV growing up, and the company my wife works for is based in ATL.  

I still hate you for being a Penguins fan, lol...just kidding.

As for that Buffalo News survey, it was in the early 80's when the Braves sucked (other than having all world Dale Murphy). They had one first place finish in their division and a number of second place finishes, but back then, only the two division winners in each league got to go to the playoffs. The Braves didn't start become good until the 90's. I suspect if the was was done again now, they'd have a little more support. But I was also shocked as even faraway teams like the Mariners and Padres got a few votes.

I'd also suspect the Yankees would win again in the Buffalo area if they did the survey again. Toronto would get some votes; maybe Cleveland and the Mets. Boston? No way, especially with the Bills-Patriots rivalry.

And, just for kicks, if they did it for the NBA, it would come down to the Knicks, Nets, Celtics, and maybe the Raptors and Cavaliers. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:. It looked at first glance like special edition Yankees gear, so seemed ironic under the circumstances—I stand corrected. 

I knew of the Black Yankees but that was literally the first time I've ever seen any gear.    They were historically not very good.   Kinda' like the Mets.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/28/2022 at 4:29 PM, RyanC883 said:

well, to be fair, we don't have a pro team here because our cheap owner Bob Nutting refuses to invest in a winning team.  I've become a Braves fan living in PGH.  haha.  Bills, Pens, Braves.  

It’s a damn shame.  A team with the history of the Pirates being held hostage by garbage ownership.  The Orioles too.  If someone told me when I was kid these two organizations would turn out this bad for this long I would have laughed in their face.   No way, not those two teams.  

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, purple haze said:

It’s a damn shame.  A team with the history of the Pirates being held hostage by garbage ownership.  The Orioles too.  If someone told me when I was kid these two organizations would turn out this bad for this long I would have laughed in their face.   No way, not those two teams.  

I hear ya. I'm no fan of what baseball has become and the fate of the Pirates makes it even harder for me. I was a Red Sox fan for years, but since they've basically become the Yankees (and the Dodgers) it's hard for me to care all that much about them.  I'd love for the Pirates ownership to try to be a homegrown team---but then retain their homegrown stars. I suppose that is too much to ask for these days.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.