Mayfield vs Darnold

Greg S

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I don't want him to fail, but I'm tired of people saying he just needs better weapons, better coaching, better this better that. He was supposed to be a great talent, franchise QB right out of the gate and he just isn't good. I hate that the media was talking him up as someone that just needed to get out of NJ. He is a turnover prone QB with sloppy mechanics and footwork. He hasnt improved at all since his rookie year. He's a bust and I'm sick of people acting like its other peoples fault. 

I am no Darnold fan but he’s gotten the crap end of the stick in terms of Coaching and O lines.

The Jets organization speaks for itself. What many seem to miss is Brady had zero business being an OC for the Panthers or any NFL team. 
    While McCaffery was playing last year, Darnold was serviceable. When he had to carry the O though, it was over. He had no time back there and doesn’t have the escapability to make constant broken protection work.

Rhule would get up in his presser and say they were going to commit to the run and then Darnold would throw it 45 times the next week….. it was insane.

Having said that, I feel SD is a career backup.

On 7/29/2022 at 4:33 PM, StHustle said:

Sometimes the first staff to get their hands on a guy can ruin him. It’s very few QBs who come back from that. Likewise there are QBs who start hot then coaching changes cause them to fizzle and they never regain form.

Ok, who are some specific examples of each?  I can think of Baker Mayfield as an example of starting hot then fizzling, so we'll see how he goes this year.

Beyond specific examples, how do you separate blaming coaching staffs versus the QB not having the mental fortitude and/or processing abilities to be effective?

17 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Ok, who are some specific examples of each?  I can think of Baker Mayfield as an example of starting hot then fizzling, so we'll see how he goes this year.

Beyond specific examples, how do you separate blaming coaching staffs versus the QB not having the mental fortitude and/or processing abilities to be effective?

Facts of the matter, most guys just don’t have it, there’s ~15 guys in the world at one time who are not guys you trying to replace.  QB at this level is demanding, most just don’t have it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.