Mayfield vs Darnold

Greg S

I think Baker wins the competition pretty convincingly when it's all said and done. Baker has clearly been the better of the two QB's. I expect nothing different when they start slinging the rock around in padded practices and preseason games. 

5 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Mayfield 100%, his back is against the wall and he's a fighter. He's a better QB outright IMO, but given the situation I wouldn't bet against him even if he wasn't. 

Not to mention, he’s probably feeling dangerous today…😉

Darnold got off to a pretty hot start in CAR last year when CMC was healthy. 

Through first 4 games he had a 3-1 record with 3x 300 passing yard games. 10 TD (5 rush and 5 pass) to 4 turnovers. 

Of course, the wheels absolutely fell off after that. Of the final 8 games that he started he had fewer than 200 yards 6 times! He also accounted for a pitiful 4 TD to 13 turnovers!

If the Panthers coaches are convinced that the hot start was the "real" Darnold, and that the wheels fell off due to injuries, Darnold will be the starter in week 1. 

8 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

That should probably do it for those annoying Progressive Insurance commercials.  

are there any Progressive Insurance commercials that are not annoying.  I'd take Baker over Flow and that guy any day.  Perhaps, hopefully, Progressive stops advertising during NFL games.  

Not sure I get all the Darnold hate here.  He seems like a nice guy.  Is he a QB1, nope, likely a career backup.  But some of the comments make it seem like people want him to fail, strange.  (I want all QBs to fail if playing the Bills) 

14 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

are there any Progressive Insurance commercials that are not annoying.  I'd take Baker over Flow and that guy any day.  Perhaps, hopefully, Progressive stops advertising during NFL games.  

Not sure I get all the Darnold hate here.  He seems like a nice guy.  Is he a QB1, nope, likely a career backup.  But some of the comments make it seem like people want him to fail, strange.  (I want all QBs to fail if playing the Bills) 

Carolina overpaid.   I think if he spent time on a team with a good QB and good development staff he could be a #1 QB later but right now he is only useful as a backup QB on team which did not expect him to play a lot of games.  .That slot however is taken with Buffalo.

22 hours ago, HOUSE said:

My money is on Baker Mayfield, I am willing to bet 2 bucks  only because I am sure

I wanna see that two bucks held in escrow 😂

14 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't want him to fail, but I'm tired of people saying he just needs better weapons, better coaching, better this better that. He was supposed to be a great talent, franchise QB right out of the gate and he just isn't good. I hate that the media was talking him up as someone that just needed to get out of NJ. He is a turnover prone QB with sloppy mechanics and footwork. He hasnt improved at all since his rookie year. He's a bust and I'm sick of people acting like its other peoples fault. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I don't want him to fail, but I'm tired of people saying he just needs better weapons, better coaching, better this better that. He was supposed to be a great talent, franchise QB right out of the gate and he just isn't good. I hate that the media was talking him up as someone that just needed to get out of NJ. He is a turnover prone QB with sloppy mechanics and footwork. He hasnt improved at all since his rookie year. He's a bust and I'm sick of people acting like its other peoples fault. 

Baker also was a very poor QB before Alex Van Pelt broke him down and rebuilt him and then he got injured.

Sean Ryan, QB coach for Panthers, did nothing in Detroit or Houston.

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Always amazes me after a QB like Darnold washes out, people will say the Jets ruined him, a la EJ Manuel and Trent Edwards.  Manuel moved on to the Raiders and Chiefs before retiring.  4 coaching staffs saw him, he simply wasn't an NFL QB.  He does hold the record for only QB to lose in 4 different countries though!  (US, Canada, England, Mexico)

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Always amazes me after a QB like Darnold washes out, people will say the Jets ruined him, a la EJ Manuel and Trent Edwards.  Manuel moved on to the Raiders and Chiefs before retiring.  4 coaching staffs saw him, he simply wasn't an NFL QB.  He does hold the record for only QB to lose in 4 different countries though!  (US, Canada, England, Mexico)

Sometimes the first staff to get their hands on a guy can ruin him. It’s very few QBs who come back from that. Likewise there are QBs who start hot then coaching changes cause them to fizzle and they never regain form.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.