Mayfield vs Darnold

Greg S

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I think it’ll be Darnold as the starter until he inevitably loses the job due to poor performances, possibly in week 2-3

Rhule will name a starter based on TC and preseason. I doubt he sees the QB position as Darnold's job to lose. Based on what we have seen in the past seasons , we can guess Mayfield will win the job. But it will important to see if he can run McAdoo's offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

Are we talking about 2023 Bills 2nd string quarterback Sam Darnold?

Keenum's a free agent after this year. Darnold's a free agent after this year.

Unless some team out there is willing to give Darnold a shot at winning a starting job in '23, I could see him going the Trubisky route and signing for a cheap deal to play behind his good friend Josh Allen and try to rehabilitate his value.

I'm probably one of the few who thinks Darnold is going to win this competition going into week one. (Which is not to say that he won't get benched as the season progresses.) I think Mayfield's abilities, and Darnold's inabilities are both overstated. Mayfield has always been surrounded by talent, and Darnold has been surrounded by crap. It will be interesting to see how this plays out now that they're on an even playing field, so to speak.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Mayfield is the more proven starter, but Darnold does have a headstart in the system I think.

In Cleveland they brought Van Pelt, Aaron Rodgers' favored coach, in to work with Mayfield.  Van Pelt tore down all Mayfield knew about being a QB, had his ability to option plays taken away and taught him how to read defenses.  He changed his footwork to increase his accuracy to a professional QB level. He worked with him on technique, play designs and understanding the playbook.

If Mayfield maintains the changes he worked on with Alex and has a good attitude about this (!! I got away from the Browns      💩 !!) he will be successful.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

5 years ago if we traded for a Baker Mayfield type QB we’d be very excited.

32 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

If it was 2018 this would be an embarrassment of riches. now its just an embarrassment

dont you guys love being spoiled?! Haha.

I already know what they are saying over in Carolina— just got to surround him with a great running and playaction game, get CMC healthy, maybe add one more elite receiver to give him more “weapons.” 

46 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

This surprised me. I have a hard time seeing how Mayfield loses the competition. 

I think it has more to do with his knowledge of the offense. playbook and rapport with the receivers.  I think mayfield is the better qb and will be the soon to be starter, but not to start the season.  

jmo obv

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Carolina's passing stats last year were atrocious.  58% completion rate with 14TDs and 21 INTs with 52 sacks.

Baker is much better than that.

If McCaffrey can stay health and Baker plays out the year it's about a .500 team.

You cannot overstate the importance of McCaffrey to that team. He is their best player by such a wide margin....but his health has taken a 2 year hiatus and it seems to be enjoying the vacation....

4 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

You cannot overstate the importance of McCaffrey to that team. He is their best player by such a wide margin....but his health has taken a 2 year hiatus and it seems to be enjoying the vacation....

All true but you can't overstate how bad their QB play has been in the last 4 years with Newton, Kyle Allen, Bridgewater and Darnold.

For my money that's been the real problem.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.