Mayfield vs Darnold

Greg S

SPARTANBURG, S.C. —  Let the quarterback competition begin! The Panthers kicked off training camp on Wednesday morning, holding their first practice at Wofford College in Spartanburg.

All eyes on Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield as they compete to be the team’s starting QB. Darnold took all of the first team reps, while Mayfield worked with the second team. Panthers head coach Matt Rhule says the roles will be reversed when the team hits the field for practice on Thursday.

Meanwhile the other two quarterbacks, P.J. Walker and third round draft pick Matt Corral are splitting reps with the third team offense. On Tuesday, general manager Scott Fitterer said the team only plans to keep three quarterbacks on the roster.

INJURY NEWS: The Panthers placed last year’s first round draft pick, Jaycee Horn on the active physically unable to perform list (“PUP list”). The second year cornerback had soreness in his surgically-repaired foot. Rhule says it was a precautionary move and that Horn’s status will be day to day.

I would be shocked if Mayfield isn't the Panthers starting QB this year. He may not have lived up to his #1 ranking but he is better than Darnold. Rhule is probably on the hot seat if the Panthers struggle this year. Baker gives them a better chance to win. 

I don't think Darnold has a shot at all, honestly.  He seems like a nice enough guy but it feels like there's enough evidence out there to show that he doesn't have what it takes to be a starter in NFL.  He has a career ahead of him as a decent to top tier backup though.  

Mayfield would have to majorly screw up to lose that job.  He's not a world beater but he's definitely a top 15-20 QB, I think I'd probably put him at 16-18. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think it’ll be Darnold as the starter until he inevitably loses the job due to poor performances, possibly in week 2-3

Nah, the Panthers saw enough of Darnold last year.  He’s the backup.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

5 years ago if we traded for a Baker Mayfield type QB we’d be very excited.

Josh is the best from that class obviously. Then Lamar and Baker. Darnold will probably be able to stay in the league as backup. Rosen is a bust. Baker isn't bad. He played hurt last year. He should have no problem winning the job from Darnold.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.