Bull Dog WGR Rant from Last Night

Gobills14094

19 hours ago, Gobills14094 said:

I heard that Bull Dog went off on a fan that was complaining to him about not getting an autograph during training camp. Does anyone have a clip of this conversation that they can share perchance?

Brother, I’m sure someone else may have mentioned, but just download the Audacy app if you have not done it, go to the search button and put in the name of the show.  The three dots on the right when you have the right day has episode details.  You can figure out there what episode it’s sitting as they have the times in there.

I noticed the change in these functions five or six days ago, and is quite nice.  I won’t watch that show partially as I’m not a fan of either of them,  and partially as my favorite show on NFLR is MTC as I always learn something.

8 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

But 90% of the kids arent even fans, they are just there watching because their parents are fans.

Ive seen grown adults fist fight over matchbox cars in the toy isle. We all have our own obsessions... lol

Matchbox cars aren’t adult men writing their name on a football that you bought in the gift shop. If you’re an adult and want an autograph, buy it. The players have a day where they sign hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of items. These go to various charities, auctions, etc… That’s where an adult can get that signed football that they otherwise would have trampled a 7 year-old for. There should NEVER be a situation where an adult feels entitled to a signature from a player. Standing in line screaming “Josh, Josh, Josh” as a full grown man is embarrassing.

As many of you know, I worked in pro sports for a long time. Players HATE you more than I do. When we had events with the players and fans we would be assigned to a player. Basically we had to prevent overbearing adults from trying to get autographs/pictures so that the kids could. We were like caddies on the PGA tour telling everyone to put their phones down. The players don’t want to look like jerks but I PROMISE that I’ve never met one that wanted to sign for a healthy adult.

If you see Josh and Brittany at dinner don’t interrupt. Send them a drink or dessert. Josh has done enough for you. Feel free to thank him instead of asking for more.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

When #12 was QB you could ship including return postage, items of memorabilia for he to sign to JK Enterprises. It would then be returned to you. I have a NFL football  with his autograph with silver sharpie on my bookshelf. That was really nice of he to do.

I think players are clearly saavy enough to recognize some people will be out to cash in and not for  creating iconic memories. The types who want to scam will make THEIR kids get autographs and then sell em on ebay. SMH

Im cynical and I dont blame players for being either. Theyre not stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, muppy said:

When #12 was QB you could ship including return postage, items of memorabilia for he to sign to JK Enterprises. It would then be returned to you. I have a NFL football  with his autograph with silver sharpie on my bookshelf. That was really nice of he to do.

I think players are clearly saavy enough to recognize some people will be out to cash in and not for  creating iconic memories. The types who want to scam will make THEIR kids get autographs and then sell em on ebay. SMH

Im cynical and I dont blame players for being either. Theyre not stupid. 

When Hasek was the goalie for the Sabres he was my favorite player as a kid. I sent him my playing card that was him and I got back that autographed as well as a picture of him autographed. Super nice and made my world as a kid. I still have the autographed card and it was in the blue and good which wasn't as common considering they switched colors to black and red for most of his time in Buffalo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

When Hasek was the goalie for the Sabres he was my favorite player as a kid. I sent him my playing card that was him and I got back that autographed as well as a picture of him autographed. Super nice and made my world as a kid. I still have the autographed card and it was in the blue and good which wasn't as common considering they switched colors to black and red for most of his time in Buffalo.

I used to do this with baseball cards as a kid. One time I got a rookie card for a guy I'd never heard of but I liked his name or something so I sent the card with a self-addressed stamped envelope and a little letter about how I was nine and in little league and wanted to be a pro pitcher like him. Turned out he was back in the minors but the MLB team forwarded the whole thing to him, he signed it with a gold sharpie and wrote me a letter back. Made my year! 

• Like (+1) 2

After listening I don't even think they were that hard on the guy.

The one thing I think they could have raised / explained while the guy was on the phone (which has been discussed in this thread) is that the players literally don't have time to sign for everyone, even for all the kids.  When you put it in that context, it becomes a lot more obvious that of course they should prioritize signing for the kids.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Matchbox cars aren’t adult men writing their name on a football that you bought in the gift shop. If you’re an adult and want an autograph, buy it. The players have a day where they sign hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of items. These go to various charities, auctions, etc… That’s where an adult can get that signed football that they otherwise would have trampled a 7 year-old for. There should NEVER be a situation where an adult feels entitled to a signature from a player. Standing in line screaming “Josh, Josh, Josh” as a full grown man is embarrassing.

As many of you know, I worked in pro sports for a long time. Players HATE you more than I do. When we had events with the players and fans we would be assigned to a player. Basically we had to prevent overbearing adults from trying to get autographs/pictures so that the kids could. We were like caddies on the PGA tour telling everyone to put their phones down. The players don’t want to look like jerks but I PROMISE that I’ve never met one that wanted to sign for a healthy adult.

If you see Josh and Brittany at dinner don’t interrupt. Send them a drink or dessert. Josh has done enough for you. Feel free to thank him instead of asking for more.

So its embarrassing to get a free autograph as an adult but its not embarrassing to pay for one? I'm not getting that logic at all. Is it embarrassing for a whole group of grown men to sign in into an internet forum and talk about other grown men playing a game all day? How do you know who is healthy and who is not? Maybe that guy is going through some ***** and has serious mental issues and getting that autograph makes him happy for a day atleast, so he can keep going and feel like things are getting better. Also Matchbox cars are in the kids isle at any store you go to but its not embarrassing for grown ass men to use violence to make sure they get the latest release for an item that is made for kids? FYI some players hate signing for kids too. I remember standing next to the fence at fredonia holding my football out and John Fina snubbing everyone. Only the rookies took the time to sign for us. I still have that Antoine smith ball somewhere. haha.

On 7/28/2022 at 11:36 AM, Bray Wyatt said:

This reminds me for some reason of the impractical jokers skit where Noah Syndegaard was signing baseballs and throwing them to the fans in the stands and Joe kept catching them and keeping them 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Brother, I’m sure someone else may have mentioned, but just download the Audacy app if you have not done it, go to the search button and put in the name of the show.  The three dots on the right when you have the right day has episode details.  You can figure out there what episode it’s sitting as they have the times in there.

I noticed the change in these functions five or six days ago, and is quite nice.  I won’t watch that show partially as I’m not a fan of either of them,  and partially as my favorite show on NFLR is MTC as I always learn something.

True, I do know that now, but if I hadn't started this thread I wouldn't have a 6 page post on the stadium wall now would I?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/28/2022 at 9:09 AM, Ned Flanders said:

Not unlike these d-bags who grab a foul ball from a kid.  I'm in my 60s, been to hundreds of minor and major league games, and never caught a foul ball.  I'd love to catch one, and if I do, I'm giving it to the closest kid.

I am in total agreement on the foul ball thing but had a situation once where I made an exception. I was at a Tokyo (Yomiuri) Giants game in the Tokyo Dome, sitting along the left field line. Early in the game a ball is hit foul in our direction and hits and rolls right to my feet and stops. I pick it up and then give it to the nearest kid who was running down towards the foul ball. It's a nice moment as I had never gotten a foul ball and the kid was very excited (and gracious and polite, of course, being Japanese). 

Around the 8th inning we decide to leave and ascend the stairway up the aisle to the concession area/hallway that circles the stadium between the lower and upper deck. As we are near the home plate area a loud bang! happens and a foul ball that had rocketed backward, down the tunnel, off the wall, rolls to my feet and stops. I picked it up and despite some kids running down the aisle, decided the baseball gods REALLY wanted me to have a game ball that day, so I kept it and have it to this day (this was 20 years ago).   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I'm an adult who collects autographs. If you don't understand the hobby, that's fine. There's a lot of hobbies I don't understand too. But to each their own.

That said, as an adult collector, you need to know what your place is. And that is paying for scheduled meet and greet appearances for a set fee or ordering from places like TSE Buffalo for mail in signings. Training Camp autographs are for the kids. Everyone should know that.

And even if you're someone who for whatever reason didn't know that, common decency would tell you as a grown adult you shouldn't be getting in the way of Children. And also the players make it very obvious with their actions at these functions what it's all about. 

This guy is embarrassing.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

So its embarrassing to get a free autograph as an adult but its not embarrassing to pay for one? I'm not getting that logic at all. Is it embarrassing for a whole group of grown men to sign in into an internet forum and talk about other grown men playing a game all day? How do you know who is healthy and who is not? Maybe that guy is going through some ***** and has serious mental issues and getting that autograph makes him happy for a day atleast, so he can keep going and feel like things are getting better. Also Matchbox cars are in the kids isle at any store you go to but its not embarrassing for grown ass men to use violence to make sure they get the latest release for an item that is made for kids? FYI some players hate signing for kids too. I remember standing next to the fence at fredonia holding my football out and John Fina snubbing everyone. Only the rookies took the time to sign for us. I still have that Antoine smith ball somewhere. haha.

Standing in line to get an autograph as an adult is embarrassing. I promise you are being judged by those around you and especially by the player. It’s sad. 

Grown men fighting over matchbox cars is embarrassing as well. It’s just less embarrassing than asking a 25 year-old man to write his name for you on your shirt. That’s way worse but neither is good.

Most players don’t like signing at all but it’s because of the adults. There is rarely a situation where it is ONLY children. It may be primarily children looking for a signature but there are almost always a few weirdo adults lurking. They generally are okay with kids. Signing isn’t fun for them though because they will never get to every kid. They’re almost certainly going to leave one disappointed and it’s not because they want to. They have meetings, etc… They REALLY don’t care if some weirdo like that guy that called WGR leaves empty handed.

In terms of an online forum, and don’t assume this place is just men, it’s not that weird. We watch games. We watch analysis. We listen to sports talk radio. We discuss the team at the bar. This is just another avenue to do it. People talking football is nowhere near as weird as grown men asking other grown men to write their names on their shirts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.