Bull Dog WGR Rant from Last Night

Gobills14094

As an adult I have no desire for autographs. That may be because when I was 8 years old doug flutie blew off me and my dad at St. John fisher and even said something rude to my dad. Can’t remember what though

Edited by Bills!Win!

Autographs are nice but as an adult, it won't light up my world like it would be for a kid.  This caller was nice but definitely coming off as entitled.  

If I was a professional athlete, famous like Allen, I probably would just do it for kids.

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

This reminds me for some reason of the impractical jokers skit where Noah Syndegaard was signing baseballs and throwing them to the fans in the stands and Joe kept catching them and keeping them 

That was a great punishment!  Especially when he grabbed the ball from a mother who had her child, Joe said he knows Noah and can get an autograph.  He got the autograph and kept the ball!

• Like (+1) 1

My son and I were there yesterday and we ended up standing next to a guy and his sons (older kids, late teens early 20’s) and he had 3 bags of different merchandise he had him and his kids trying to get players to sign. He even asked Poyer for his gloves and Poyer called him right now, telling him no because he will just sell

the stuff. We actually ended up moving away from the guy because I didn’t think the players were going to come anywhere near him-turned out to be a good decision, ended up getting pics of my son with Knox and Tre White. Loved that Poyer knew, even in the chaos, of what this guy was trying to do

• Like (+1) 6

31 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm not gonna lie...I have never understood the desire for an autograph if you're an adult.

As a kid, sure, but as an adult? Even if it's your biggest hero in the world, what good is their writing their name on one of your items? "This pen ink once belonged to Josh Allen!" 😆

Now a handshake, a conversation, a shared moment, a picture with the person...these things I understand. But an autograph? Why?

In the late 1980s Jim Kelly was appearing at a toy store around Albany.  He was at a table signing autographs.  I stood on line but I realized I was too old for an autograph & instead got a photo of him shaking my hand. I still have the photo.  

PS: I think most pro athletes realize that there's a decent chance the adult will try to sell the autograph.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

I would feel so weird trying to hand something to another person and asking them to sign it. It seems so strange to me.

I can see the appeal in owning something signed, I guess, but I wouldn't want to be the one to go out begging for a signature.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

My son and I were there yesterday and we ended up standing next to a guy and his sons (older kids, late teens early 20’s) and he had 3 bags of different merchandise he had him and his kids trying to get players to sign. He even asked Poyer for his gloves and Poyer called him right now, telling him no because he will just sell

the stuff. We actually ended up moving away from the guy because I didn’t think the players were going to come anywhere near him-turned out to be a good decision, ended up getting pics of my son with Knox and Tre White. Loved that Poyer knew, even in the chaos, of what this guy was trying to do

I think I’m going to pigeonhole this guy about 4 notches below the person that raided my recycle bin last night at 11:45 PM.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I would feel so weird trying to hand something to another person and asking them to sign it. It seems so strange to me.

I can see the appeal in owning something signed, I guess, but I wouldn't want to be the one to go out begging for a signature.

exactly.  i was given a josh allen signed helmet as a thankyou a year ago, and have it in my office.  i love it, but i wouldn't ask josh himself for it.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Now a handshake, a conversation, a shared moment, a picture with the person...these things I understand. But an autograph? Why?

This is what I want, I have no need for an autograph.  Unless you have a COA to go with that autograph, how does anyone know it's real?  

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

As someone who's never asked another grown man for an autograph, and never will.. My only hesitation in killing a dude for trying to do this is if they have a kid at home who may be sick or unable to be at the event, and they are trying to get an autograph for them.  

Are you suggesting that people should actually know someone/their situation before judging them?  That is ***** crazy!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I don't live in WNY anymore, but I had the good fortune to be in the same bar as Jim Kelly in Harrisburg PA about 6 months ago.  I happened to be wearing Bills gear, so I went up to him, clinked his glass, and said "thank you for everything you've done over the years".  Then I walked away, being very conscious of not wanting to cross the line or overly invade his privacy.  Later, as he and his group was leaving, he bought our table a round of drinks.

2010 St Pattys in Buffalo he was at the bar we were at in Williamsville. My wife then girlfiend  and our two friends saw him and people quietly went up for a second took a picture if he was ok with it (he was) and that was that. My wife went up and asked and he was super cool, took 30 seconds and that was it. You could tell when he got there he was fine with it, but people were quick and civil and otherwise left him be.  Super great guy and in that circumstance I didn't mind us asking for a picture as you could see he was good with it. But otherwise would've left him be and everyone had the good sense after to let him just enjoy himself.

People who non-stop pester and don't leave them alone ruin it literally for everyone including the player. I think in the right circumstances they truly enjoy the celebrity status but you gotta keep it in check of what is appropriate. I work at Fisher currently and the Bills are all over, in 2019 I literally ran into players jogging around campus, I didn't bother them. If they want to talk cool but they are doing their thing I am doing mine and even though I am a fan it isn't the place for that.

Kids forever trump everything with autographs and any living adult who thinks they are before them should go home and re-evaluate their life choices.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.