Training Camp Practice 7/27

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've always been impressed with Neal-- super versatile player. I believe that he could have developed into a starting  nickel had he gotten the experience. He's always been a solid backup, IMO. He plays with a fierceness.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Bernard calling the D. Interesting. Not to make this another Edmunds thread (lord knows we don't need another one of those) but in the context of the decision that we know is coming at some point in the next 9 months that is a very interesting development. I noted Leslie stopped short of saying Bernard's skillset is the same as Milano's the other day too. All he was willing to say was "there is some similarity in size." Maybe they see Bernard as an MLB?

• Like (+1) 6

34 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I absolutely love that Elam is getting to get NFL ready, by covering one of the best route runners in the NFL. Covering our opponents number 2 receivers will be a refreshing break for him.

That being said, I am a bit concerned with Elam being a bit too physical at times in his coverage. If he doesn't get flagged for it, that would be great, but he seems to straddle that line between great coverage and illegal contact. 

He is adjusting, going to need time to learn. DB coaches are probably telling him to be physical right now.

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I've always been impressed with Neal-- super versatile player. I believe that he could have developed into a starting  nickel had he gotten the experience. He's always been a solid backup, IMO. He plays with a fierceness.

Yeah Neal definitely fits this D...plays as an almost LB in the big nickel at times and has some pretty good coverage skills when called on at times. Dude definitely likes laying the lumber too.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Bernard calling the D. Interesting. Not to make this another Edmunds thread (lord knows we don't need another one of those) but in the context of the decision that we know is coming at some point in the next 9 months that is a very interesting development. I noted Leslie stopped short of saying Bernard's skillset is the same as Milano's the other day too. All he was willing to say was "there is some similarity in size." Maybe they see Bernard as an MLB?

I was rewatching a game from 2020 a couple weeks ago, and cracked up when the color commentator referred to Milano as "the undersized Matt Milano..." 

But also, given their similarities, it would be hard to imagine Milano, and Bernard as the two LBs on the field. I would think they are satisfied with Edmunds' size complimenting Milano's speed. 

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

I was rewatching a game from 2020 a couple weeks ago, and cracked up when the color commentator referred to Milano as "the undersized Matt Milano..." 

But also, given their similarities, it would be hard to imagine Milano, and Bernard as the two LBs on the field. I would think they are satisfied with Edmunds' size complimenting Milano's speed. 

That was my assumption too. Their words and actions so far though suggest maybe they see it differently.

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I dont care if Bernard is 5'10" if he is showing instincts and putting himself in position to make plays instead of always being 2 steps behind.

Size and speed are nice. But making plays is what really matters.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Remember when Beane talked about Bernard shortly after he was drafted? He said Bernard could play both spots and that him at MLB would look differently than Tremaine, but believes he could do it. Bernard is actually even more athletic than Milano and from these early reports seems like a fast, instinctual LBer. Doesn’t matter if you run a 4.5 if you’re slowed down by mental processing, so I like that he’s already playing fast having barely learned the defense.

• Agree 6

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont care if Bernard is 5'10" if he is showing instincts and putting himself in position to make plays instead of always being 2 steps behind.

It's nice to have at least one guy back there with some size. There are some running backs in the league that would necessarily have to be gang tackled once they get past our D-line. Honestly, I wish they had held onto AJ Klein, as well.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Man I'd forgotten about Bobby Trees throwing down with Mr. TV

Because Robert Woods is #$%#$%& Crazy

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Anyone else find Thad Brown kinda annoying?

"Nothing special" is he forgetting the years when we couldnt complete passes AGAINST AIR

Balls inaccurate

Balls hitting the ground all over the place

Now a productive day is just a "meh" day Thad?

Thad has been weirdly negative this training camp. It’s starting to contradict what other reporters are saying. 

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

It's nice to have at least one guy back there with some size. There are some running backs in the league that would necessarily have to be gang tackled once they get past our D-line. Honestly, I wish they had held onto AJ Klein, as well.

The guy with all the size doesnt tackle them well as it is, so not sure if there is really a benefit there.

I wish they held onto Klein as well.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

David/White at 6'1/6'0 are the best LB tandem in the NFL...  I wouldn't rule out a potential future where Bernard and Milano are the tandem here, should Edmunds and the Bills not find common ground on a contract. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I always thought it was a matchup thing......if we need run stop Taron comes off the field and our new LB goes on

As a rookie, sure. But I would think to spend a 3rd on the guy they must think he can be more than that long term.

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Thad has been weirdly negative this training camp. It’s starting to contradict what other reporters are saying. 

Maybe he misses the glory days when EJ Manuel would include the media guys in the practice by throwing the ball to them instead of keeping it all in bounds.

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.