Training Camp Practice 7/27

YoloinOhio

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

The league is becoming more and more dependent on speed, not ground and pound. Outside of the DL, having players that can deal with speed will be very important. The investment of having a big, potentially controlling group of interior defensive linemen would enable the Bills to have more athletic, speed guys as their two LBs plus the nickel CB. 

With Settle, D. Jones and Phillips they have the size inside then add the more unique skill set of Oliver and that may be the formula. But let's see if the rookie can play first. If he can, then it becomes an interesting discussion.

I’m very interested to see this group. I think Jones and Settle will be a big improvement over Star and Phillips, more Star than Harry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, TPS said:

I’m very interested to see this group. I think Jones and Settle will be a big improvement over Star and Phillips, more Star than Harry. 

The DL has not been as big of a conversation here relative to last year, but that is the group that can really turn up the D. We know that the DB's will be good to elite when Tre returns, but the heat that the front 4 bring is what I am excited to see. Stuff the run and let Groot, Boogie and that Miller fellow cook from the outside.

edit: Maybe even AJ who still doesn't look like a DE who is physically strong enough to play in the league.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Shakir just looks like a vet already.  Looks as if he could seamlessly slot into Beasley's role this season.  I too think one of Crowder or McKenzie could be a surprise cut, especially with Cook already looking like the receiving threat we hoped he would.  If Shakir is ready for a big role, I have no problem with us cutting bait from Crowder to keep a special teams ace like Kumerow, or alternatively, signing a bigger veteran outside receiver (are any of these left at this point?).

That's laughable.  Crowder is banged up right now.  He has had an excellent career, and you are going to keep a guy like Kumerow who adds nothing to the offense over him??   Get it together!!

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, TPS said:

Vernon Butler was so invisible on the field that nobody even mentions him being gone 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just an observation, but I have yet to see Khalil Shakir run through and out of a pass reception. Just catches the ball and stops quickly. Is every other WR wrong or does the kid need to learn ‘how you practice is how you play’ in the League?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Shakir gonna need some work on that foot speed and route running.  Those routes aint fooling anyone.

Compare his feet to Diggs, sheesh.  

Wait…what?  A rookie mid-round pick, a few days into camp, doesn’t compare to one of the best in the game?   He sucks.  Cut him now.  What a waste of a pick. 

10 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That's laughable.  Crowder is banged up right now.  He has had an excellent career, and you are going to keep a guy like Kumerow who adds nothing to the offense over him??   Get it together!!

I'm to the point where I think Diggs, Davis, Shakir and McKenzie are 100% locks.  Crowder I'd put around 90% and dropping if he stays struggling to get on the field.  

I wouldn't cut Crowder to keep a guy like Kumerow, but I would cut him if McKenzie/Shakir look the part and then use his money on a vet outside WR.  

3 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I absolutely love that Elam is getting to get NFL ready, by covering one of the best route runners in the NFL. Covering our opponents number 2 receivers will be a refreshing break for him.

That being said, I am a bit concerned with Elam being a bit too physical at times in his coverage. If he doesn't get flagged for it, that would be great, but he seems to straddle that line between great coverage and illegal contact. 

If they aren't present already, at some point the Bills will have NFL game officials present at practices.  Part of teaching him will be to help him understand how much physicality is likely to be tolerated by officials and what will get you a penalty.  My guess is it's harder to teach a young CB to be physical when he naturally shies away from it, than to get a physical cornerback to dial it back a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I'm just saying we have a surplus of players who can man the slot.  Crowder has had a solid career, but I wouldn't call it "excellent" by any means.  He's also missed a bunch of games to injury in the past few years.  If Shakir can essentially be a Crowder clone, but healthy and 6 years younger, I don't have a problem with the Bills prioritizing another player who provides a skill set that he doesn't.  Kumerow is a key special teamer and provides a bigger outside receiving option.  Obviously, I'd prefer an upgrade to Kumerow as well.

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I'm just saying we have a surplus of players who can man the slot.  Crowder has had a solid career, but I wouldn't call it "excellent" by any means.  He's also missed a bunch of games to injury in the past few years.  If Shakir can essentially be a Crowder clone, but healthy and 6 years younger, I don't have a problem with the Bills prioritizing another player who provides a skill set that he doesn't.  Kumerow is a key special teamer and provides a bigger outside receiving option.  Obviously, I'd prefer an upgrade to Kumerow as well.

Beavis And Butthead 90S Tv GIF

• Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Maybe he misses the glory days when EJ Manuel would include the media guys in the practice by throwing the ball to them instead of keeping it all in bounds.

They were certainly getting tired of replacing hospitality tents.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

whenever I hear that song I remember the 90's super bowl era tams jamming to the same kind of tunes. Except in Jim Kellys basement not the field haha. Hammertime 🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.