Julio to Tampa

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Did you happen to catch Brandon Beane on WGR yesterday? He agreed with you, we’re slot heavy. He also says Shakir is more of a slot guy. 

He said we’ll continue to look for outside depth.

Cue the "we don't need depth on the boundary" crew in 3...2...1...

Nah, just kidding.

Guys like @Logic and @eball and yourself have known that the Bills are very thin on the boundary........if Kumerow is your #3 you have one of the worst #3 boundary options in the NFL.  

Your homerish natures just doesn't allow you to admit it unless Brandon Beane says it himself.

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah, just kidding.

Guys like @Logic and @eball and yourself have known that the Bills are very thin on the boundary........if Kumerow is your #3 you have one of the worst #3 boundary options in the NFL.  

Your homerish natures just doesn't allow you to admit it unless Brandon Beane says it himself.

Oh for crissake, get over yourself.  Calling me a homer isn't an insult and doesn't bother me.

And nobody I've seen has said the Bills have outside receiver depth...we're just not chicken littling it to death.  We're also suggesting that the Bills are figuring out ways to use their weapons.

Such a tool.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

For everyone going on and on about this, Julio Jones has only made it 9 and 10 games the last two seasons. He's 33 years old. His body is breaking down. The DL as a whole required an overhaul because Star, Vernon Butler, Addison, Obada, and Hughes were underwhelming. We also weren't going to pay Harry the $$$ he got from Minnesota. We needed a legit, proven pass rusher and got Von Miller. Settle is an upgrade. Jones is an upgrade. Phillips knows the defense and is an upgrade. Lawson knows the defense and is an upgrade. Also, show me how many teams whose #4 WR (basically what the 3rd man up on the outside is) are "great" players. We legitimately have one of the best rosters from top to bottom in the ENTIRE NFL and people are on here pissing and moaning about Julio signing with Tampa. It's pretty amazing. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

For everyone going on and on about this, Julio Jones has only made it 9 and 10 games the last two seasons. He's 33 years old. His body is breaking down. The DL as a whole required an overhaul because Star, Vernon Butler, Addison, Obada, and Hughes were underwhelming. We also weren't going to pay Harry the $$$ he got from Minnesota. We needed a legit, proven pass rusher and got Von Miller. Settle is an upgrade. Jones is an upgrade. Phillips knows the defense and is an upgrade. Lawson knows the defense and is an upgrade. Also, show me how many teams whose #4 WR (basically what the 3rd man up on the outside is) are "great" players. We legitimately have one of the best rosters from top to bottom in the ENTIRE NFL and people are on here pissing and moaning about Julio signing with Tampa. It's pretty amazing. 

Nobody is denying we have one of the best rosters. But when you have one of the best rosters and the expectations are as high as they are we are bound as fans to zero in on the small stuff. Is it great to be talking about concerns with outside receiver depth compared to the days when we didn't have 11 serviceable starters on either side of the ball? Yes. But that isn't a reason not to discuss it. And maybe all 3 defensive tackles will be upgrades (I actually like all 3 players) but did we need all 3 to make sure we had two excellent lines of depth at defensive tackle, or could we have gone for 2 and then spent that final bit of change on an additional option at outside receiver? 

And to be clear I am not moaning about Julio going to Tampa. But my concern about being one injury away from Jake Kumerow has been pretty consistent since April. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nobody is denying we have one of the best rosters. But when you have one of the best rosters and the expectations are as high as they are we are bound as fans to zero in on the small stuff. Is it great to be talking about concerns with outside receiver depth compared to the days when we didn't have 11 serviceable starters on either side of the ball? Yes. But that isn't a reason not to discuss it. And maybe all 3 defensive tackles will be upgrades (I actually like all 3 players) but did we need all 3 to make sure we had two excellent lines of depth at defensive tackle, or could we have gone for 2 and then spent that final bit of change on an additional option at outside receiver? 

And to be clear I am not moaning about Julio going to Tampa. But my concern about being one injury away from Jake Kumerow has been pretty consistent since April. 

Wasn't singling you out my friend, just giving an in general take over what I was reading throughout the entire thread. Some people are moaning about Julio signing in Tampa, like we're supposed to sign every guy available.  It's just not going to happen.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Julio should retire, he was definitely the best WR in the league for a minute. I just hate to see once great players continue to take the money knowing they are not even a fraction of what they were.

Go enjoy your money, start a business. 

Julio seems to always have lingering hamstring injuries, but when he's on the field he's still plenty good.  Only 33 years old.  He averaged 14ypc with Tannehill as his QB and 15.1 the year before (his last in Atlanta).

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Not really. Julio is always hurt. He was barely ever able to practice his last few years in Atlanta because of injuries. It didn’t impact his play as much because he and Matt Ryan had good a well established connection. When it began spilling over to missing games, he was traded to Tenn. 

I put the over under at 9 games he plays in for Tampa. 

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Determining the future in your brain is often incorrect.

He would be a depth player.  His snaps would be limited.  As of now, our outside depth is nil.  He would’ve been one of the better options still available.  Hopefully we’ll add someone else 

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Until Davis or Diggs inevitably get hurt…. 

The super nova of pessimism sends its warning rays yet again…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah, just kidding.

Love ya, buddy. Thanks for thinking of me!

Here's another thing we weren't going to do, give him $6M and a possible $2M in incentives. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/27/julio-jones-gets-6-million-to-sign-with-up-to-2-million-in-incentives/

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Jones deal is worth $6 million in base pay, with up to $2 million in incentives.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Doc said:

You mean HGH, er, TB12?

What? There’s no Peds in the NFL, how dare you insinuate such a thing.

😂

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

Tampa is stockpiling….. but that’s ok?

Evans is getting paid.  Godwin is getting paid.  They paid Gage 10M per year.  They have backups Tyler Johnson and Perriman on the outside already.  Yet they sign Julio…..because adding a guy like Julio will likely only help a team win games.  

A team that won the SB 2 years ago is stocking up on guys that play outside…. We’re expecting them to continue to add talent.  We’re the SB favorite….we have the best qb in the league….. players will take discounts to play with us…..but we aren’t signing any.  We want our FO to take advantage of being the best team in the league and add more talent at the positions that we’re weak.  We lack outside Wr depth.   This isn’t an opinion, it’s the truth.  The Bucs didn’t lack outside wr depth…. Yet they signed him.  What do Bucs fans expect?

Whoa, you are going to get the Beane slobbers upset with logic like this.  The Bills are THIN at skill positions and nobody wants to admit it. Shakir better show up big, that’s a tall task for a 5th round rookie.  It’s like nobody wants to look at the roster and believe there’s 1 player who’s ever had a 1000 yard season, your #2 that “exploded” last year, had the same 600 yards he did as a rookie.  I’m not saying he won’t step up, but that lack of difference makers on this team is resounding.  Overall “good” players, quite a few on the roster, but good is the enemy of great.  We can’t keep rolling with “good enough” and relying on JA to be great.  That was proved last game.  JA did it all, but the coaches blew multiple calls in 13 seconds all while trying to hide their “good” players from being burned by great ones.  It may work if Allen plays at a transcendent level, but even Brady had a few great weapons for all his winning. 

• Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Whoa, you are going to get the Beane slobbers upset with logic like this.  The Bills are THIN at skill positions and nobody wants to admit it. Shakir better show up big, that’s a tall task for a 5th round rookie.  It’s like nobody wants to look at the roster and believe there’s 1 player who’s ever had a 1000 yard season, your #2 that “exploded” last year, had the same 600 yards he did as a rookie.  I’m not saying he won’t step up, but that lack of difference makers on this team is resounding.  Overall “good” players, quite a few on the roster, but good is the enemy of great.  We can’t keep rolling with “good enough” and relying on JA to be great.  That was proved last game.  JA did it all, but the coaches blew multiple calls in 13 seconds all while trying to hide their “good” players from being burned by great ones.  It may work if Allen plays at a transcendent level, but even Brady had a few great weapons for all his winning. 

Lots of people admit it.  Some people just trust the process more than others.  I trust it too, but i was hoping we’d add another outside WR for depth.  Maybe shakir can do it!  Maybe Austin can do it?  Maybe crowder can fill in?  Maybe Mckenzie?  I do think they have a plan for if Davis or Diggs get hurt….but I just don’t know what it is by looking at the depth chart

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lots of people admit it.  Some people just trust the process more than others.  I trust it too, but i was hoping we’d add another outside WR for depth.  Maybe shakir can do it!  Maybe Austin can do it?  Maybe crowder can fill in?  Maybe Mckenzie?  I do think they have a plan for if Davis or Diggs get hurt….but I just don’t know what it is by looking at the depth chart

I don’t really trust that part of the process, we have seen too many times where they go into the year at key positions incredibly thin and it bites them.  I can’t see a plan, you can’t count on a 5th round rookie to take over, Crowder is a slot guy, and there’s no veteran depth at all.  It looks like the ole “we’ll cross that bridge if we get there” plan.  I hope we don’t get there.  I’m sure they have Sanders on speed dial, and probably have him lined up to bring on the practice squad late in the year for a playoff run (if he’s still trying to play for a ring).   They rely entirely too much on Allen to do it all.  I’m not saying Julio was the answer as he had a really down year last year and I don’t know if he’s ever coming back to the old form, but somebody like him would sure be a nice safety net.  Just getting digs an in series rest takes away any credible threat out there for the D.

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Maybe Hodgins can do it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.