Julio to Tampa

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

If he's healthy definitely gives the Bucs another weapon and looks like he's essentially replacing Antonio Brown's role in Tampa.

Going to see a lot of other vets who are chasing a ring sign with contenders soon like our old friend and rapper Beasely.

He is never healthy anymore, that's the problem

14 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t really trust that part of the process, we have seen too many times where they go into the year at key positions incredibly thin and it bites them.  I can’t see a plan, you can’t count on a 5th round rookie to take over, Crowder is a slot guy, and there’s no veteran depth at all.  It looks like the ole “we’ll cross that bridge if we get there” plan.  I hope we don’t get there.  I’m sure they have Sanders on speed dial, and probably have him lined up to bring on the practice squad late in the year for a playoff run (if he’s still trying to play for a ring).   They rely entirely too much on Allen to do it all.  I’m not saying Julio was the answer as he had a really down year last year and I don’t know if he’s ever coming back to the old form, but somebody like him would sure be a nice safety net.  Just getting digs an in series rest takes away any credible threat out there for the D.

Sanders was good early and then once he got hurt and came back he was a waste of space out there taking snaps from Davis.

Davis is going to put up 1K+ yards this year. All he ever does is make plays when he gets in there, even as a rookie.

I'll trust the guys responsible for building the best roster in football more than the guys posting on message boards drinking beer for a living.

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Maybe Hodgins can do it

Maybe.  I see him as a slot guy too, but you never know.  He has the size and length to succeed.  I watched him a bunch @ OSU and really liked him there.  I haven’t really watched him play since college though.  All depends on how much he’s improved.  

Most likely another year on the PS awaiting a WR injury.  

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Maybe.  I see him as a slot guy too, but you never know.  He has the size and length to succeed.  I watched him a bunch @ OSU and really liked him there.  I haven’t really watched him play since college though.  All depends on how much he’s improved.  

It's hard to watch a guy play post-college when he actually hasn't played post-college. Hodgins needs to show-out because he is on the outside looking in right now alongside Stevenson who got burn on last years team.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Love ya, buddy. Thanks for thinking of me!

I just gotta' give you full credit for being wrong and contradicted by the GM.

It's a full on "Men are from Mars and you and @eball (and some other shouters) are from Venus" in here............you persons take pride in being illogical and arguing against the obvious........buncha' bossy bottoms. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I just gotta' give you full credit for being wrong and contradicted by the GM.

It's a full on "Men are from Mars and you and @eball (and some other shouters) are from Venus" in here............you persons take pride in being illogical and arguing against the obvious........buncha' bossy bottoms. 

You're too kind. Really. Such a sweetheart.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Your homerish natures just doesn't allow you to admit it unless Brandon Beane says it himself.

I get the impression some people would go as far as criticizing themselves before they'd do so for their Bills.  #fanhood

Talking of homerism... did anyone listen to Chris Brown on the morning show yesterday? That guy..... a year ago he was slobbering all over Star then yesterday he accused him of "checking out". Talk about a man willing to change his opinion with no sense of shame. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yea Hodgins' issue as an outside guy is separation. I thought his best shot in the NFL was as a big slot too where you can use his size against smaller nickel DBs to create a mismatch. I wasn't super high on him coming out tbh and maybe that colours my view on him given that we haven't seen much of him on an NFL field to revise my opinion. Has anyone read anything about how they are using him in camp? Have they been lining him up outside at all? Also while I think Stevenson lacks the physicality that you'd normally want I think he does have decent ball tracking skills and the speed... maybe you could use him in an emergency and just ask him to run go routes and clear stuff out underneath? 

It's something to watch for in the pre-season games. Who of the 2nd tier of receiver are they actually lining up out there?

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I get the impression some people would go as far as criticizing themselves before they'd do so for their Bills.  #fanhood

Not at all. Many acknowledge the lack of depth outside. The question I have always had for those critical of the Bills depth outside is what would you have done?

Easy answers are sign someone like DJ Chark. But he’s not coming here to play behind Davis on a prove it contract.

So that’s just not realistic. So when you start getting realistic and look at the options I think they can still address depth today and after cuts.

As for what Beane says, yes it matters. It’s hard to get players to just come here and play behind Davis. That’s why I don’t think we’re going to sign OBJ, TY Hilton, or Will Fuller. But when he says he’s looking I believe him.

In Tampa Julio can still get a lot of snaps in 3wr sets without disrupting anything. Godwin moves inside 60% of the snaps. He and Gage will battle for snaps.

I think once cuts start happening we can find a solid depth WR.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

17 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t really trust that part of the process, we have seen too many times where they go into the year at key positions incredibly thin and it bites them.  I can’t see a plan, you can’t count on a 5th round rookie to take over, Crowder is a slot guy, and there’s no veteran depth at all.  It looks like the ole “we’ll cross that bridge if we get there” plan.  I hope we don’t get there.  I’m sure they have Sanders on speed dial, and probably have him lined up to bring on the practice squad late in the year for a playoff run (if he’s still trying to play for a ring).   They rely entirely too much on Allen to do it all.  I’m not saying Julio was the answer as he had a really down year last year and I don’t know if he’s ever coming back to the old form, but somebody like him would sure be a nice safety net.  Just getting digs an in series rest takes away any credible threat out there for the D.

Let me make sure I'm understanding you:

You're upset that the Bills didn't pursue a 33 YO receiver who's missed an entire year's worth of games over the past two seasons combined?

20 hours ago, eball said:

Oh for crissake, get over yourself.  Calling me a homer isn't an insult and doesn't bother me.

And nobody I've seen has said the Bills have outside receiver depth...we're just not chicken littling it to death.  We're also suggesting that the Bills are figuring out ways to use their weapons.

Such a tool.

Officer Bill incoming to white-knight for his fren there

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Is this one of those “they did all they could” arguments. 😅 

What does that even mean? DJ Chark and OBJ aren’t depth they are starters. I want Will Fuller but would he sign here to be a backup? I have to be realistic. Maybe. OBJ also a maybe. But these guys definitely want a path to targets at some point. 

I think I’ve said it a million times. The Bills are sold on Gabe Davis. No more split reps. So when you talk depth you have to be realistic and look for backups, not starters.

Did they do all they could? I would think so. Tim Settle and Jordan Phillips are probably going to play at least 50% of the defensive snaps without an injury. So when people say spend cap space on a backup WR instead of a rotating DT they don’t make any sense. That DT plays an important role. The backup WR we hope we never see.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What does that even mean? DJ Chark and OBJ aren’t depth they are starters. I want Will Fuller but would he sign here to be a backup? I have to be realistic. Maybe. OBJ also a maybe. But these guys definitely want a path to targets at some point. 

I think I’ve said it a million times. The Bills are sold on Gabe Davis. No more split reps. So when you talk depth you have to be realistic and look for backups, not starters.

Did they do all they could? I would think so. Tim Settle and Jordan Phillips are probably going to play at least 50% of the defensive snaps without an injury. So when people say spend cap space on a backup WR instead of a rotating DT they don’t make any sense. That DT plays an important role. The backup WR we hope we never see.

OBJ won't even be healthy until late in the season.  As for Chark, he got a 1-year $10M deal and is no better than Gabe Davis.  Hard pass.

• Disagree 1

57 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I just don't buy that argument that you need to have 4 established DTs on decent contracts in order to have a rotation. Justin Zimmer gave us production on a cheap contract two years ago, Brandin Bryant actually played reasonably well when he got on the field last year. I just think they could have gone lighter there, found a contributor to be the 4th DT on a cheap deal and deeper at outside receiver. So no, I don't think they did all they could. I think they took a decision to prioritise DT, but it was a choice, there was an alternative way of approaching it.

Maybe Chark is a pipe dream, maybe.... the Bills are one of only a handful of teams that could offer a legitimate ring chase but maybe even faced with that option he'd have preferred a guaranteed starting job in Detroit. But like I said yesterday a guy like Tre-Quan Smith would have been cheap and an upgrade on Kumerow. 

As for the Gabe position - I am sold on him too. I liked him coming out and I criticised them last year for signing someone to play ahead of him and I think that was borne out by what happened when Gabe finally got on the field more. I wanted to make Gabe the starter and bring in a decent depth option behind him last spring too. That has been my desired approach for two springs. 

Again, it is relatively small beer in the big picture of how they have built the roster and the job Beane and McDermott have done, but I haven't loved their approach to outside receiver the last two springs. I think they kept Gabe as the depth option a year longer than they should have and then I think they should have been more aggressive pursuing a depth option this spring. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You can’t possibly believe they did everything they possibly could.… they took a CB,  RB, and LB with their first three picks. It was possible to take a WR or trade up/down for one with those picks? 

Give me a break. They didn’t because it wasn’t a priority. 

And you act like the defensive line rotation is a must… it’s a must because that’s how McD wants it and they chose that at the expense of other positions… namely offensive starters/depth.

CB was an obvious need so why even mention that? I think most people agreed having a developing WR with talent is smart. We don’t have that guy as of today. Shakir has played all over the field but he’s built as an inside WR. So we know all that.

Hopefully next draft they add another Gabe Davis or better type prospect or 2 to keep the WR room full. 

But this year we’re thinking more about veteran depth IMO. Someone who can come in and run all the right routes for Josh for a game or 2 if something happens to Diggs or Davis. We don’t have that guy either. There will be cuts.

Right now our top 2 outside guys are set and we have depth at slot and TE. WR depth is not something to get all worked up about unless you don’t feel Gabe Davis is a WR2.

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I just don't buy that argument that you need to have 4 established DTs on decent contracts in order to have a rotation. Justin Zimmer gave us production on a cheap contract two years ago, Brandin Bryant actually played reasonably well when he got on the field last year. I just think they could have gone lighter there, found a contributor to be the 4th DT on a cheap deal and deeper at outside receiver. So no, I don't think they did all they could. I think they took a decision to prioritise DT, but it was a choice, there was an alternative way of approaching it.

Maybe Chark is a pipe dream, maybe.... the Bills are one of only a handful of teams that could offer a legitimate ring chase but maybe even faced with that option he'd have preferred a guaranteed starting job in Detroit. But like I said yesterday a guy like Tre-Quan Smith would have been cheap and an upgrade on Kumerow. 

As for the Gabe position - I am sold on him too. I liked him coming out and I criticised them last year for signing someone to play ahead of him and I think that was borne out by what happened when Gabe finally got on the field more. I wanted to make Gabe the starter and bring in a decent depth option behind him last spring too. That has been my desired approach for two springs. 

Again, it is relatively small beer in the big picture of how they have built the roster and the job Beane and McDermott have done, but I haven't loved their approach to outside receiver the last two springs. I think they kept Gabe as the depth option a year longer than they should have and then I think they should have been more aggressive pursuing a depth option this spring. 

There are a bunch of below average starters they could’ve signed. There will be a lot cut in couple weeks.

Knowing how McDermott runs his defense I would rather have Settle and Phillips DTs than a quality backup WR. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Disagree 3

20 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He is never healthy anymore, that's the problem

Sanders was good early and then once he got hurt and came back he was a waste of space out there taking snaps from Davis.

Davis is going to put up 1K+ yards this year. All he ever does is make plays when he gets in there, even as a rookie.

I'll trust the guys responsible for building the best roster in football more than the guys posting on message boards drinking beer for a living.

Those football guy have never been wrong or ignored a hole in the roster before 🙄

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Let me make sure I'm understanding you:

You're upset that the Bills didn't pursue a 33 YO receiver who's missed an entire year's worth of games over the past two seasons combined?

Once you learn to read, you will have a better chance of getting it right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.