Julio to Tampa

YoloinOhio

The Bills reportedly had interest in Julio earlier in the offseason but I don't think there was any chance he would come to Buffalo over Tampa for near the same money.

Tampa is the #1 short term destination in the league right now..........Buffalo is not a close second........Brady is the GOAT with 7 SB rings........Tampa was better than the Bills last year and also beat them head to head as well.........and Florida has great fall/winter weather and no state income tax.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

It is wishful thinking to expect both those guys to remain healthy for a 17 game season… and Davis seems to be hobbled every year.

Washed Emmanuel Sanders? Nah… give me OBJ and let him sit and recover until December.

he still wouldn't make it to February

Is Green Bay inept or just trolling Rodgers at this point? On the same day that their big FA WR signing Sammy Watkins goes on the injury list. It sounds like they had some interest and maybe Julio just said nope to that whole mess, but I'm dumbfounded by what they're giving Rodgers.

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I still don’t understand what people think the Bills are supposed to do? Just stockpile starting WRs on the bench just in case?

Feels like this comes up weekly in the offseason, but some just don't understand that very few teams in the NFL have great WR depth. There is definitely no team with 5 incredible WRs, as if you can load some super team offense like it's the NBA. The unicorns with more than a couple are really only Cincy and Tampa Bay, and even Cincy's depth is questionable. Therefore the news that Shakir is already flashing in training camp is pretty nice. If he contributes at all, and McKenzie and Crowder do what they normally do, then our WR depth is pretty much top tier. 

Edited by Nelius

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Tampa is stockpiling….. but that’s ok?

Evans is getting paid.  Godwin is getting paid.  They paid Gage 10M per year.  They have backups Tyler Johnson and Perriman on the outside already.  Yet they sign Julio…..because adding a guy like Julio will likely only help a team win games.  

A team that won the SB 2 years ago is stocking up on guys that play outside…. We’re expecting them to continue to add talent.  We’re the SB favorite….we have the best qb in the league….. players will take discounts to play with us…..but we aren’t signing any.  We want our FO to take advantage of being the best team in the league and add more talent at the positions that we’re weak.  We lack outside Wr depth.   This isn’t an opinion, it’s the truth.  The Bucs didn’t lack outside wr depth…. Yet they signed him.  What do Bucs fans expect?

That’s Tampa. One team. Godwin is also coming off an ACL. 

Tampa has great WR depth. Bills have great DL depth. That’s where they wanted to pour assets into. 

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Isn’t that exactly what the Bucs are doing? 😅

So basically you believe Julio Jones wanted to come sit the bench in Buffalo on a cheap contract but Beane said no?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills reportedly had interest in Julio earlier in the offseason but I don't think there was any chance he would come to Buffalo over Tampa for near the same money.

Tampa is the #1 short term destination in the league right now..........Buffalo is not a close second........Brady is the GOAT with 7 SB rings........Tampa was better than the Bills last year and also beat them head to head as well.........and Florida has great fall/winter weather and no state income tax.   

Yeah.  I'm guessing the Bucs didn't have to make much of a sales pitch.  Plus, he was born and raised in the South.  Played college and pro ball there.  Pry wasn't going to Buffalo, New England, or Green Bay unless they overpaid.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Is Green Bay inept or just trolling Rodgers at this point? On the same day that their big FA WR signing Sammy Watkins goes on the injury list. It sounds like they had some interest and maybe Julio just said nope to that whole mess, but I'm dumbfounded by what they're giving Rodgers.

Feels like this comes up weekly in the offseason, but some just don't understand that very few teams in the NFL have great WR depth. There is definitely no team with 5 incredible WRs, as if you can load some super team offense like it's the NBA. The unicorns with more than a couple are really only Cincy and Tampa Bay, and even Cincy's depth is questionable. Therefore the news that Shakir is already flashing in training camp is pretty nice. If he contributes at all, and McKenzie and Crowder do what they normally do, then our WR depth is pretty much top tier. 

I think what happened is everyone got their hopes up for Jameson Williams in the draft. I would’ve loved Williams but he didn’t get close to our pick. Olave, Burks, and Dotson all went much higher than expected earlier in the draft process.

The Bills drafted a WR that plays all over the field. He’s also having a great camp so far.

In free agency I’m not sure what exactly people wanted them to do? Who exactly are you feeling comfortable starting if Diggs gets hurt? Julio Jones, Will Fuller, and OBJ on the bench sounds amazing. None of these WRs stay healthy. After those guys who makes you feel comfortable starting? 

My answer to the "what would you rather they do?" crowd is that I'd rather they not prioritise yet another overhaul of the interior defensive line and maybe spend some of that money on some outside receiver depth. 

The ship has sailed now though. We have no cap space in any event. A move is coming somewhere. The obvious one that clears spafe for this year is an Edmunds extension but not sure I love that long term. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My answer to the "what would you rather they do?" crowd is that I'd rather they not prioritise yet another overhaul of the interior defensive line and maybe spend some of that money on some outside receiver depth. 

The ship has sailed now though. We have no cap space in any event. A move is coming somewhere. The obvious one that clears spafe for this year is an Edmunds extension but not sure I love that long term. 

I’ll ask again, who did you want? You never answer. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd have been interested in DJ Chark personally at the expense of one of the 3 defensive tackles. 

I like Chark. He definitely would have added depth and challenge Davis for his position and targets. 

I dont think that was realistic unless you signed him as WR2. He definitely would’ve improved depth. He turned down some bigger deals. 

How about anyone available now or possible cuts/trade? Honestly the guy I think Buffalo should look at is in Tampa. Breshad Perriman.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I like Chark. He definitely would have added depth and challenge Davis for his position and targets. 

I dont think that was realistic unless you signed him as WR2. He definitely would’ve improved depth. He turned down some bigger deals. 

How about anyone available now or possible cuts/trade? Honestly the guy I think Buffalo should look at is in Tampa. Breshad Perriman.

The other guy who might have been more a "come here and be the #3 outside guy" is Tre'Quan Smith from the Saints. Davis's former teammate at UCF. He is still a significant upgrade on Kumerow and wasn't going to be looking necessarily for a shot to be a featured guy (which is a fair point on Chark). He signed a cheap deal to stay with the Saints. I wasn't after a superstar - Julio or OJB etc... I just want to be more comfortable with the depth at outside receiver than I am with Kumerow (who is a borderline NFL talent). 

I get it, we have a very good roster, it comes across as nit picking, but at the same time my argument is that they prioritised another expensive revamp of the defensive front (Von obviously is a deal you always prioritise.... but 3 decent contracts to DTs....) I just think one of those could have gone to a moderate upgrade on Kumerow. 

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The other guy who might have been more a "come here and be the #3 outside guy" is Tre'Quan Smith from the Saints. Davis's former teammate at UCF. He is still a significant upgrade on Kumerow and wasn't going to be looking necessarily for a shot to be a featured guy (which is a fair point on Chark). He signed a cheap deal to stay with the Saints. I wasn't after a superstar - Julio or OJB etc... I just want to be more comfortable with the depth at outside receiver than I am with Kumerow (who is a borderline NFL talent). 

I get it, we have a very good roster, it comes across as nit picking, but at the same time my argument is that they prioritised another expensive revamp of the defensive front (Von obviously is a deal you always prioritise.... but 3 decent contracts to DTs....) I just think one of those could have gone to a moderate upgrade on Kumerow. 

Did you happen to catch Brandon Beane on WGR yesterday? He agreed with you, we’re slot heavy. He also says Shakir is more of a slot guy. 

He said we’ll continue to look for outside depth.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Did you happen to catch Brandon Beane on WGR yesterday? He agreed with you, we’re slot heavy. He also says Shakir is more of a slot guy. 

He said we’ll continue to look for outside depth.

I did. And he is right. Sadly I think the ship has sailed. I think we have enough flex with the guys we have if Diggs or Davis were to miss a game or two we could get away with some of Crowder and Shakir playing as the X on a lot of drags and in cuts and maybe McKenzie a bit as the Z and running go routes and then moving the remaining one of Diggs and Davis around and creating mismatches and using Kumerow in redzone packages. But if either one missed any sort of serious time I would be concerned that defenses would cotton on and it would leave us short. It's not a massive deal, I'm not saying it can sink our season.... but when you are where the Bills are where anything other than a long term injury to Josh would have us at worst in contention come playoff time we are bound to look at the small margins. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Missed opportunity.  Let’s hope it doesn’t bite us in the butt

Not really. Julio is always hurt. He was barely ever able to practice his last few years in Atlanta because of injuries. It didn’t impact his play as much because he and Matt Ryan had good a well established connection. When it began spilling over to missing games, he was traded to Tenn. 

I put the over under at 9 games he plays in for Tampa. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.