San Fran Names Lance Starter

aristocrat

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Gotta be Texans or Falcons for Jimmy I'd imagine right? Unless they are just going for the first pick?

One year left: browns?

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I know that the Saints are planning to roll with Jameis Winston, but I were them, I'd sign Garappalo and have an open competition.

Whereas Winston is a pretty volatile player, I feel that the Saints are an NFC Championship game contender with Garappalo at the helm.

The Saints were super even with jameis last year before the injury 

3 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It's insane that you can take your team to a SB and a Championship game in a 3 year span and get thrown away like a piece of garbage.

but then also, mark Sanchez was garbage 

jimmy g is fine but he’s not who you want long term 

It's insane that you can take your team to a SB and a Championship game in a 3 year span and get thrown away like a piece of garbage.

And Murray gets re-signed/extended and he has never even won a playoff game, the NFL has issues…, 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

He's not the reason they went to the Super Bowl. The 49'ers running game could not be stopped. Garoppolo was their for the ride.

I’m surprised how highly some people think of Garoppolo. It’s almost as if people know the 49ers reached a Super Bowl and NFCCG, but didn’t watch him play. His QB production would have been decent in the 90’s, but the standard for QB play is far greater these days. He’s a below average starter, who was carried by a great team. Trading for Jimmy G is the type of mistake that bad teams make. He’s going to look awful on a below average team, yet some desperate franchise is going to trade assets away for poor QB play. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Has the era of real quarterback competitions ended? It used to be that the preseason games were used to determine the starting qb. Maybe Lance's athleticism forced the offensive coordinator to run an entirely different offense that requires more reps and that Jimmy doesn't have the skillset to run.

Looks like Jimmy G will be moved soon.

Yes.  Jimmy G would have likely won the battle. 

14 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Yes.  Jimmy G would have likely won the battle. 

Jimmy G winning the "battle" would have put egg all over the face of Lynch/Shanahan. It's not a Rodgers/Love situation where Rodgers is a future Hall of Famer. Plus the 49ers gave up a boatload to get him.

That's why they never had that battle in the first place this year, it would have been over quickly like last year.

5 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

he reminds me of the Flacco era on the Ravens. Indy would make the most sense to me, especially being in AFC.

4 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

was that on after the Banana Splits or the Monkees?

I did some Wikipedia, and they did not overlap.  Lance Link was on ABC while the Banana Splits and The Monkees were on ABC.  The Monkees came first, then the Splits, then Lance Link.  Interesting trip down memory lane....

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Thanks to a system and a monster defense.  Jimmy didn’t play well.  He played well enough to get carried by a great game plan and an elite DL.  

Yeah, he can be solid, but his best seasons aren't close to comparable with actual top tier QB's. 

People like to say Kirk Cousins is just "above average" or pretty good, yet they give Jimmy G the benefit of the doubt more often than not because players like being around him. Sometimes he'll even gets that "he just wins" label, even though it's primarily the defense & run game like you said.

Couple of Jimmy G's good seasons:

2019 - 3,978 yards / 27 TD's - 13 INT's / 69.1% / 102.0 passer rating (16 games)

2021 - 3,810 yards / 20 TD's - 12 INT's / 68.3% / 98.7 passer rating (15 games)

W/L record: 22-9

Couple of Kirk Cousins good seasons:

2020 - 4,265 yards / 35 TD's - 13 INT's / 67.6% / 105.0 passer rating (16 games)

2021 - 4,221 yards / 33 TD's - 7 INT's / 66.3% / 103.1 passer rating (16 games)

W/L record: 15-16

I think they're both just solid, but Cousins is has a higher ceiling & slings it deep better. 49ers are just a more complete team all around.

• Agree 1

Then why were they 6-10 the year in between the Super Bowl and Conference Championship when he missed 10 games?

Because he's better than Nick Mullens and CJ Beathard. That doesn't mean he is championship caliber. San Fran has had an absolutely stacked roster and one of the best offensive minds in the game at the helm, yet they cannot get over that final hump. If there's a line of demarcation between QBs you can win a Super Bowl with and QBs you can't, Garrappolo has his toes firmly planted against the wrong side of that line. IMO that is actually the worst kind of QB you can have. I'd rather let Peterman start 17 games and get a good draft pick out of it.

Edited by HappyDays

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

T1e2J-1526496824-2051-blog-lancelotlink_

best show ever.  Mata Hairy.....

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Because he's better than Nick Mullens and CJ Beathard. That doesn't mean he is championship caliber. San Fran has had an absolutely stacked roster and one of the best offensive minds in the game at the helm, yet they cannot get over that final hump. If there's a line of demarcation between QBs you can win a Super Bowl with and QBs you can't, Garrappolo has his toes firmly planted against the wrong side of that line. IMO that is actually the worst kind of QB you can have. I'd rather let Peterman start 17 games and get a good draft pick out of it.

What side of that line is Aaron Rodgers on?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What side of that line is Aaron Rodgers on?

This side:

packers-aaron-rodgers-mvpjpg-e0949ea05a5

Rodgers has been a big disappointment over the last 2 playoffs though, you'll hear no arguments from me on that point. But that has nothing to do with this conversation...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This side:

packers-aaron-rodgers-mvpjpg-e0949ea05a5

Rodgers has been a big disappointment over the last 2 playoffs though, you'll hear no arguments from me on that point. But that has nothing to do with this conversation...

wow what year was that?? lol. 

And "absolutely stacked rosters" for SF?  Not really--go back at the individual number in their SB year for example.  They ran the ball 500 times with three guys including the great Matt Brieda.  The had one receiver (a TE) who (barely) cracked 1000 yards.  Shannon is a top Offensive mind, this is true.

Rodgers, the regular season MVP last 2 years, has led a GB that has won 2 of it's last 5 playoff games, twice bounced out by the SF Garappolos (scoring 30 points over 2 games).

Anyway, you opened the door to a discussion about guys who can't bring their team to the next level...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.