San Fran Names Lance Starter

aristocrat

I think the way Kyle see's it is he's now got a mobile QB in what is probably the most QB friendly system in the NFL. That said, I think this is a difficult spot. While I agree Jimmy G didn't win many games for the 49ers, he wasn't a guy that was losing many games for them either. Lance could certainly cost them games. We will see how it plays out. 

16 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I encourage you to go back and look at the list of illustrious names we plunked down hard-earned money to watch over the years.

A hard earned $30 then is nothing like a hard earned $120, today, though. Tickets have gone bananas, but at least we weren't paying much for the poor play we got to witness...

And at least we were drunk while doing it, 🍻

• Dislike 1

16 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Not sure Lance is that guy however.  But, they need to find out.  It took Josh a couple of years...yes, he was always on the upbubble, it just took those years to make him more complete.  (of course, Josh worked his butt off also)

The goal is to build on a players rookie deal though.  They're going to have to pay Deebo and that new money likely hits in 2023 and 2024 - not having to pay your QB makes that affordable.  Having Shanahan coach, plus kittle deebo, and one of the best lines in football should help ease the transition.

They aren't benching... i dunno rodgers.  It's comparable to the bears moving on from Trubisky.  Jimmy G has done more than Mitch did - but the big thing going for Jimmy G is his "winning".  Trubisky "won" games too.  At some point you take the W/L out of it and look at the underlying numbers, and for Jimmy G - they aren't very good.  

0 starters with an average depth of target beyond 10 yards.  More YAC than YBC.  Still had 12 picks even though he was dumping the ball almost the entire time.  

8 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I still say if Dimarco was worth anything as a player he makes that catch.  I've seen random kids in pickup ball or HS catch something similar - the throw was there!

1 hour ago, MClem06 said:

How bad does the front office of Cleveland look now,  they could have given at assets to get jimmy now they have a suspended perv who most likely won’t get to play a single game this year.

The longer this decision on the suspension goes, the more likely Watson plays this year.  I'd put the over/under at 8.5 games.  Either 1 game under half the season or 1 game over.  

3 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

A hard earned $30 then is nothing like a hard earned $120, today, though. Tickets have gone bananas, but at least we weren't paying much for the poor play we got to witness...

And at least we were drunk while doing it, 🍻

There are plenty of us fans who have been able to watch bad football sober.

• Shocked 1

23 hours ago, wppete said:

Huge mistake!!! Miami or Seattle should pounce on the opportunity  when they release Jimmy G. 

Disagree.  Only Seattle should pounce on this!  

4 hours ago, MClem06 said:

How bad does the front office of Cleveland look now,  they could have given at assets to get jimmy now they have a suspended perv who most likely won’t get to play a single game this year.

they could have gotten Jimmy and put a lot of talent around him with the money given to Watson.  Unreal.  But I think Mayfield is better than Jimmy

• Agree 1

On 7/26/2022 at 3:07 PM, That's No Moon said:

I encourage you to go back and look at the list of illustrious names we plunked down hard-earned money to watch over the years.

I remember writing a rage filled email to the front office regarding their surprise starting of Jeff Tuel. 

My god, 

On 7/26/2022 at 3:16 PM, Mark Vader said:

He's not the reason they went to the Super Bowl. The 49'ers running game could not be stopped. Garoppolo was their for the ride.

Yep.

Every time they have needed him to carry the team (throw more than 30 times) he's fallen short and the team is 0-2 in the playoffs including the super bowl.

In his four postseason victories he has 8, 19, 19 and 25 attempts. 

Check out Jimmy G's career postseason attempts compared to Allen's:

Jimmy G- 19, 8, 31, 25, 19, 30 =132/6 =22 attempts per game

Allen- 46, 35, 37, 48, 25, 37= 228/6 = 38 attempts per game

On 7/26/2022 at 3:38 PM, That's No Moon said:

Then why were they 6-10 the year in between the Super Bowl and Conference Championship when he missed 10 games?

Do you not recall everyone else that was injured that year on the 49ers? Nick Bosa missed 14 games. Kittle missed 8 game. A ton of other injuries as well. They were the 2020 version of the 2021 Ravens. Totally decimated. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They aren't benching... i dunno rodgers.  It's comparable to the bears moving on from Trubisky.  Jimmy G has done more than Mitch did - but the big thing going for Jimmy G is his "winning".  Trubisky "won" games too.  At some point you take the W/L out of it and look at the underlying numbers, and for Jimmy G - they aren't very good.  

I think the perfect comp is the Chiefs trading Alex Smith, the proven veteran QB that got them to the playoffs every year, for the 2nd year unkown QB in Mahomes with huge upside.  It's really a nearly perfect comp. Even the head coaches are both offensive minded and highly regarded and traded up the year before for the future QB.  I have no idea if Lance will pan out but honestly of all the 2021 draft class QB's he's still the one I would put my money to be the best of the class. I would expect growing pains though. I don't expect to see him play at a high level immediately like a Mahomes or Herbert. If he ends up succeeding it will be more in the Josh Allen development tree. His first season starting could be similar to Allen's 2nd year. And then Lance takes off in his 3rd year (2nd year starting). 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, MClem06 said:

Time will tell.  If you get the Watson you get out of Houston he's a tier 1 franchise QB for the next decade barring injury.  Like the Rams though they're going to have to hit on day two and day three draft picks to compete given Watson's salary and the draft capital given up to get him.  Knowing the Browns they'll find a way to screw it up.  Watson is definitely a tier above Jimmy G though and four years younger.

Edited by Doc Brown

On 7/26/2022 at 3:07 PM, That's No Moon said:

I was a season ticketholder from 2006 to 2018. I know the pain

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.