San Fran Names Lance Starter

aristocrat

I know that the Saints are planning to roll with Jameis Winston, but I were them, I'd sign Garappalo and have an open competition.

Whereas Winston is a pretty volatile player, I feel that the Saints are an NFC Championship game contender with Garappalo at the helm.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Gotta be Texans or Falcons for Jimmy I'd imagine right? Unless they are just going for the first pick?

Re Texans, I doubt it.  they understand they are in a multi-year  re-build and will stick with a cheap QB rookie contract with Davis Mills and see how he develops.

56 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Has the era of real quarterback competitions ended? It used to be that the preseason games were used to determine the starting qb. Maybe Lance's athleticism forced the offensive coordinator to run an entirely different offense that requires more reps and that Jimmy doesn't have the skillset to run.

Looks like Jimmy G will be moved soon.

I think the era of “we spent 3 first round picks to get this guy” has begun.  What’s the best that can happen with Jimmy G? He wins the job and makes you look stupid m, while keeping your young guy on the bench another year?

I honestly don't get the Lance hype other than the idea he could be the next JA17 (which seems to be a popular theme these days).

Just not sure what in what world you move on so quickly from a QB that took you to a SB and NFCCG in 2 of the 3 years he was healthy there and if Lance struggles it's a precarious position if you start to lose the veterans in the lockerroom who were behind Jimmy G.

30 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I think the era of “we spent 3 first round picks to get this guy” has begun.  What’s the best that can happen with Jimmy G? He wins the job and makes you look stupid m, while keeping your young guy on the bench another year?

I guess the timing is what seems strange to me. Why wasn't Jimmy G moved earlier if that was the intention all along? Maybe they're waiting for a starting qb on another team to get injured in training camp to increase their leverage.

1 minute ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I guess the timing is what seems strange to me. Why wasn't Jimmy G moved earlier if that was the intention all along? Maybe they're waiting for a starting qb on another team to get injured in training camp to increase their leverage.

I have a feeling they tried, but the contract is one you won’t get anything for without a contender having a guy go down.  Probably felt like they weren’t getting anything anyway, might as well wait it out.

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

I have a feeling they tried, but the contract is one you won’t get anything for without a contender having a guy go down.  Probably felt like they weren’t getting anything anyway, might as well wait it out.

I feel like Jimmy G might have demanded a release. That would free up $25 Million in cap space with a penalty of only $1 Million.

36 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It's insane that you can take your team to a SB and a Championship game in a 3 year span and get thrown away like a piece of garbage.

I’ll be honest, I’m glad there’s currently no room for him in the AFCE.  This could be good timing for us. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think Shanahan can't get it done without a little bit more at QB.  Twice they really needed him to come up clutch, and twice he came up very short.  It's sort of Goff with LA, you've gone as far as you can with this guy.  If the run game falters, they lose.  If they need him to come up clutch in the 4th quarter of a playoff game, they lose.  

Not sure Lance is that guy however.  But, they need to find out.  It took Josh a couple of years...yes, he was always on the upbubble, it just took those years to make him more complete.  (of course, Josh worked his butt off also)

11 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Not sure Lance is that guy however.  But, they need to find out.  It took Josh a couple of years...yes, he was always on the upbubble, it just took those years to make him more complete.  (of course, Josh worked his butt off also)

Lance had better be damn good after that crazy ass trade they made to get in position to get him.  Was a bad move then and now they have no choice.  

The problem they had, Jimmy G is a “good” QB, not elite or even really good, he’s basically the poster child for what puts your team in the not so serious contender bracket.  He’s good enough to win with a stacked roster, but he’s not the difference maker you want.  Basically, you can’t make a mistake on the roster with him.  He’s not going to overcome a poor D or if your playmaker goes down/demands 25M a year, he won’t cover up that hole. 

Now they have to play the game of QB roulette and hope Lance was a hit because they spent the picks they needed to cover up for an average QB and now they pissed off their other option..  it’s kinda what the Bills did, but they didn’t make a blind trade and hope their guy was there.  Beane knew Tyrod wasn’t the answer, he rolled the dice and basically decided they’d figure it out.  Ballllllllsy.  Thankfully, it didn’t turn out Billllllsy.   I would be very nervous to stake it all on Lance. He wasn’t asked to do much in the passing game in college, he got away on being more athletic than other guys.  That’s not how the NFL works.  With Allen, you saw the eye popping ability, you just had to harness it all, no easy task.  With Lance, does he have the ability?  I’m assuming yes or he wouldn’t have been picked so high, but can you make him an NFL passer?  

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It's insane that you can take your team to a SB and a Championship game in a 3 year span and get thrown away like a piece of garbage.

He's not the reason they went to the Super Bowl. The 49'ers running game could not be stopped. Garoppolo was their for the ride.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Has the era of real quarterback competitions ended? It used to be that the preseason games were used to determine the starting qb. Maybe Lance's athleticism forced the offensive coordinator to run an entirely different offense that requires more reps and that Jimmy doesn't have the skillset to run.

Looks like Jimmy G will be moved soon.

They invested a lot into Lance. 

The QB competition you describe is when you have mediocre QBs fighting for the starting spot on a mediocre team. 

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

They invested a lot into Lance. 

The QB competition you describe is when you have mediocre QBs fighting for the starting spot on a mediocre team. 

As they say, if you think you might have 2 QB’s, you probably don’t have any. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.