San Fran Names Lance Starter

aristocrat

Has the era of real quarterback competitions ended? It used to be that the preseason games were used to determine the starting qb. Maybe Lance's athleticism forced the offensive coordinator to run an entirely different offense that requires more reps and that Jimmy doesn't have the skillset to run.

Looks like Jimmy G will be moved soon.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Allen2Diggs said:

Has the era of real quarterback competitions ended? It used to be that the preseason games were used to determine the starting qb. Maybe Lance's athleticism forced the offensive coordinator to run an entirely different offense that requires more reps and that Jimmy doesn't have the skillset to run.

No, it’s not any of that, it’s that they spent 3 first round picks to trade up for Lance and they have to put him out there.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

Tampa.  They probably don’t have Brady’s successor on the roster.  I don’t think they are sold on Trask.  Jimmy could start or bridge to their next guy

They make sense but do they have the money to take on his contract this year?  Then they’d have to sign him to an extension as his contract is up.  

Always injured, frail, no deep ball, limited mobility.  He’s a bum now imo.  He was lucky to be in shanahans system.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zerovoltz said:

No, it’s not any of that, it’s that they spent 3 first round picks to trade up for Lance and they have to put him out there.

I think Shanahan can't get it done without a little bit more at QB.  Twice they really needed him to come up clutch, and twice he came up very short.  It's sort of Goff with LA, you've gone as far as you can with this guy.  If the run game falters, they lose.  If they need him to come up clutch in the 4th quarter of a playoff game, they lose.  

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I mean - they were in the NFC championship game a year ago with him.  You could certainly do worse as a bridge QB.  

Thanks to a system and a monster defense.  Jimmy didn’t play well.  He played well enough to get carried by a great game plan and an elite DL.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They make sense but do they have the money to take on his contract this year?  Then they’d have to sign him to an extension as his contract is up.  

Always injured, frail, no deep ball, limited mobility.  He’s a bum now imo.  He was lucky to be in shanahans system.  

They don't need him this year.  They would have to balance it with the 35M cap hit for brady in 2023.  

Just now, wppete said:

Huge mistake!!! Miami or Seattle should pounce on the opportunity  when they release Jimmy G. 

Seattle would make sense.. but it is an inter-divisional trade.  

2 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I can't believe Seattle and Atlanta are going into the season with the QBs they have. Nor can I believe anyone would pay their hard earned dollars to watch Mariota or Geno Smith

I encourage you to go back and look at the list of illustrious names we plunked down hard-earned money to watch over the years.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I can't believe Seattle and Atlanta are going into the season with the QBs they have. Nor can I believe anyone would pay their hard earned dollars to watch Mariota or Geno Smith

SF isn't going to make a division rival better, for a late round pick.  They'd save cash/cap but there isn't anything out there to spend it on - and he's a solid insurance policy.  

I was shocked Seattle wasn't in on baker, but i guess they don't see him as much of an upgrade over their current guys.  

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s insane how much money you can make as the guy that nobody really wants!!!

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.