OT: Belichick says that Mac's improvement is "dramatic"

Success

Belichick appears to be losing confidence in his Pro Bowl QB Mac Jones. After the game, when he was asked why didn’t they throw the Hail Mary at the end of the game, he responded:

“Couldn’t throw it that far,” Belichick said.

Many questioned Belichick’s comments towards Jones because he’s insinuating that Jones’s arm is weak and he can’t throw the ball 55 yards. In his career, Jones has one pass over 50 yards, it’s a 75-yard touchdown to veteran WR Kendrick Bourne. On the throw to Bourne, the initial pass was 30 yards and he ran the other 45 yards for a touchdown.

https://musketfire.com/2022/12/19/patriots-mac-jones-bill-belichick/

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Did he seriously say that?

It's towards the end of his press conference below at the 3:30 mark.

Pretty incredible:

Reporter: "Bill, [sic] the final play, situationally, how do you weigh what was called, as opposed to taking a shot at the end zone?"

Belichick*: "(long pause)... taking a shot at the end zone?"

Reporter: "Yeah, like a Hail Mary, 55 yard.."

Belichick: "(interrupting) Couldn't throw it that far... yeah, couldn't throw it that far."

https://www.patriots.com/video/bill-belichick-12-18-we-made-too-many-mistakes-and-had-too-many-bad-plays-and-it

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

While it's great to see the Patriots struggle and lose a game in such an absurd manner, I'm still not writing off Mac Jones after having one of the best rookie seasons ever and showing he can be a big time player in this league.

But you do get the sense that we are nearing the end of the Belichik era and any hope Jones does have of taking the next step is contingent on bringing in a fresh perspective to the Patriots organization (i.e. a real NFL OC) that understands how to build an offense that can compete with the leagues best QBs, including the Bills and JA17.

• Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

It's towards the end of his press conference below at the 3:30 mark.

Pretty incredible:

Reporter: "Bill, [sic] the final play, situationally, how do you weigh what was called, as opposed to taking a shot at the end zone?"

Belichick*: "(long pause)... taking a shot at the end zone?"

Reporter: "Yeah, like a Hail Mary, 55 yard.."

Belichick: "(interrupting) Couldn't throw it that far."

https://www.patriots.com/video/bill-belichick-12-18-we-made-too-many-mistakes-and-had-too-many-bad-plays-and-it

Yow.  I don't know how much were air yards, but Mac has a "long" of 75 yds last season and 48 yds this season.

In Brady, Belicheck seems to have found a QB who was motivated by his particular brand of coaching.  Not so sure it works well with a QB he might otherwise make serviceable.

Seems like he's taking a crap on Jones for his own poor playcall and/or failure to prepare the team

Edited by Beck Water

31 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

While it's great to see the Patriots struggle and lose a game in such an absurd manner, I'm still not writing off Mac Jones after having one of the best rookie seasons ever and showing he can be a big time player in this league.

But you do get the sense that we are nearing the end of the Belichik era and any hope Jones does have of taking the next step is contingent on bringing in a fresh perspective to the Patriots organization (i.e. a real NFL OC) that understands how to build an offense that can compete with the leagues best QBs, including the Bills and JA17.

It is completely clear that mac was carried by a strong running game/defense and they were able to make the playoffs thanks to an easy schedule.  Their offensive line regressed a bit and the whole team has now completely fallen apart 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It is completely clear that mac was carried by a strong running game/defense and they were able to make the playoffs thanks to an easy schedule.  Their offensive line regressed a bit and the whole team has now completely fallen apart 

You very well might be right, but still think Jones has shown more than enough to be the guy heading into year 3 and with more QB's showing that 'Magic Josh Allen 3rd year jump' in Tua and Hurts this year, whoever the coach is in NE next year is likely going to expect that with Jones especially if they upgrade the talent around him which is going to be a big part of that with the Patriots offense as well.

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It is completely clear that mac was carried by a strong running game and they were able to make the playoffs thanks to an easy schedule.  Their offensive line regressed a bit and the whole team has now completely fallen apart 

Eh.  While I hesitate to respond to someone who is "feeding the filthybeast" (aka Miami/NE fan troll), Mac Jones did have a solid year last year, including a 9 game stretch with 8 wins and 1 OT loss and wins over good teams like the Titans (who beat us, we may recall). 

I think a lot of the difference is that last year, he had an OC in Josh McDaniels, who had a solid offensive system and who knew how to shape it to his QB's strengths and teach his QB to function in it.  

This year, he's got former Patriots DC and disastrous Lions HC Matt Patricia, and former Patriots ST coach and failed Giants HC Joe Judge.  I see no evidence that either of them know much about how to craft an offense to a team's strengths or develop a QB. 

Basically, his support system was surgically excised and replaced with a pair of crutches.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Eh.  While I hesitate to respond to someone who is "feeding the filthybeast" (aka Miami/NE fan troll), Mac Jones did have a solid year last year, including a 9 game stretch with 8 wins and 1 OT loss and wins over good teams like the Titans (who beat us, we may recall). 

I think a lot of the difference is that last year, he had an OC in Josh McDaniels, who had a solid offensive system and who knew how to shape it to his QB's strengths and teach his QB to function in it.  

This year, he's got former Patriots DC and disastrous Lions HC Matt Patricia, and former Patriots ST coach and failed Giants HC Joe Judge.  I see no evidence that either of them know much about how to craft an offense to a team's strengths or develop a QB. 

Basically, his support system was surgically excised and replaced with a pair of crutches.

IIRC, he beat a Titans team that was severely rattled with  injuries, as were most of the QBs on their 6 game win streak. After the Win game, they lost 5 of last 6 against teams that were not injured. 

I think this year they have one win against a QB that has not been benched.

Don't get me wrong, i hope they keep him. He is a slow Tyrod..good enough to not lose games when D and run game works, not good enough to win  games when everything is not working perfectly around him.

I have a lot of Pats fans in a group thread...early this year said same to them...welcome to no playoffs and drafts between 8-13 as long as he is QB. As a Bills fan, I love it!

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yow.  I don't know how much were air yards, but Mac has a "long" of 75 yds last season and 48 yds this season.

In Brady, Belicheck seems to have found a QB who was motivated by his particular brand of coaching.  Not so sure it works well with a QB he might otherwise make serviceable.

Seems like he's taking a crap on Jones for his own poor playcall and/or failure to prepare the team

It's been remarkable how far the press has been willing to bend themselves to paint over Mac & Cheese's tantrums. But looking beyond the apologists in the media, it's astonishing to me the relationship that's been built between this second-year quarterback, and the Patriots* coaching staff. And I believe it started in Mac's first training camp, building upon his already inflated ego. I will always believe that the "quarterback competition" (quotations necessary) between Mac & Cheese, and Cam Newton was a ruse at Newton's expense-- run a phony QB competition, and convince Mac & Cheese that he "won" his position over an MVP QB.

But, as convinced M&C is of his own hype, I think this presser from Belichick* illustrates just how poisoned the relationship between QB and coaching staff really is in New England. And, honestly, can anyone remember a below-average, second-year quarterback screaming and swearing at his OC on the sideline? Or at his own veteran teammates?

I keep reading this narrative about how M&C's teammates all love, and support him, but one really has to wonder. Amazing how dysfunctional the NE Patriots* have become.

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Wow.  13 for 31 112 yards.  That matches the nadir that Tua had his prior last two games, epically bad numbers in today's NFL.

I guess he’ll blame Patricia again. 
Patricia sucks as an Offensive Coordinator but Jones (and the media) uses him as a scapegoat 

1 minute ago, Toledo Bill said:

I guess he’ll blame Patricia again. 
Patricia sucks as an Offensive Coordinator but Jones (and the media) uses him as a scapegoat 

I hope he does.   He can alienate himself from the fanbase and eventually his team mates, he aint Tom Brady, sometimes I think he has to fill that role.  His petulant screaming at his oline a few weeks ago was embarrassing to watch.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think big rookie seasons can be inflated too much. Baker Mayfield came on like fire same with RG3 or Sam Bradford in their 1st years. I don't think Jones is bad but he is limited by mobility and his physical abilities. If he has success it will be with a better cast of play makers who can catch anything, have good separation, and probably a burner for mid routes. The Pats did him zero favors between OC and cast of support, but at the same time todays NFL rewards mobile QBs more then ever ie: Allen, Mahomes, Hurts etc.. that does not mean pocket passers can't make it as Burrow is torching teams and Tua has been really good. But Jones limitations are highlighted and it is pretty telling he has won two games in his career where the opponent has scored 22 pts or more (both 2021 HOU and LAC) and he had to out score them.

Edited by corta765

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't know how you can be a starting QB in the NFL with his rubber band arm.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

You can't bounce back from this season. If the Krafts are smart they will clean house at the end of the year. But I'm really hoping they double down keeping Belichick  and bring Brady back at 46. Patricia and Judge too. Keep 'em all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Per Charlie Weis from about a year ago..."just keep watching!" :flirt::D

https://nesn.com/2021/09/can-mac-jones-throw-deep-ball-why-ex-patriots-coach-believes-qb-surely-can/

"Why don’t you just watch him play. You want to see whether he can throw the ball downfield deep. Just keep watching. If he has to throw the ball down the field, when he has to throw the ball down the field, you won’t have to worry about him pulling the trigger.”

I guess we will keep watching, Coach!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.