OT: Belichick says that Mac's improvement is "dramatic"

Success

On 7/27/2022 at 2:19 AM, syhuang said:

Three years ago: Jarrett Stidham turning heads at Patriots camp

Bill Belichick said Tuesday, per Callahan, that early practices are usually the hardest because the team's playbook is constantly rotating and expanding. But Stidham isn't shrinking. He's thriving.

Sure, there'll be examples both ways.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Matt Patricia is this years, last years coach is with McDaniels now and he is Carmen Bricillo.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, perhaps Matt Patricia coaching OL is not a great decision.  Near as I can tell, his OL coaching experience consists of 1 year as Coach Scar's assistant back in 2005.  His assistant OL coach Billy Yates played OL for the Pats during Belichek's initial success and is coming to the Pats from the Detroit Lions, whose OL, um, had Stafford very grateful to play for the Rams.

Now that's not Yates fault - you can only coach the players you have - but I guess it must be 4 dimensional Chess as far as putting together a stout OL for Mac?  (not that it would bother me if they don't manage)

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Yeah, he is a fraud. He is just another head coach. In fact, a below average head coach without the best QB that ever lived as his signal caller.

No, he's a terrific head coach. 

But yeah, having a terrific QB and roster is more important to winning than having a terrific coach.

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

BB says he looks great and then all the sudden the media is all over Mac and saying he looks meh.

Sounds like BB is playing his games again. 

It's more 4 dimensional chess.  Send some bad reports out of training camp, Lull the rest of the division and the NFL into thinking the Pats are EZ pickin's and then BLAMMO!  Scream and Leap!

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

It's more 4 dimensional chess.  Send some bad reports out of training camp, Lull the rest of the division and the NFL into thinking the Pats are EZ pickin's and then BLAMMO!  Scream and Leap!

He's been lulling everyone with his press conferences for the last 2 decades. 

I really wonder if pats fans listen to his pressers or not.  I think watching golf has more energy to it. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not buying into NE*'s D being great.  They lost in the FA market this year.  Draft picks will be critical.

Take out the JAX game and the last 3 regular season games against the Bills, Colts and Dolphins they gave up

31 points a game.

We all seen how their D played in the playoffs.

We also saw it when we played them in NE*** the second time we faced them last season. They couldn’t force a punt in that game, either. The Pats*** need a bad weather equalizer to take the ball out of Josh’s hands like the home games here in 2020 and 2021. Because we’ve absolutely dominated their defense in each game since Brady left.

It’s a shame we had those gale force winds in Buffalo last season, otherwise McD would have been the first HC to beat Belichick three consecutive times. As it is, I like our chances to do that when we meet them this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

That's actually fascinating.  I'd like to read the whole thing - where is it from?

That actually was the whole thing.  I lost the link though.  Could have been a much better story I think, but it was too short IMO.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is just 4D chess by Belichick.  He has told his line to purposely play bad so Mac&Cheese gets use to pressure.

13 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste

Wait, Matt Patricia (former DC) is now de facto OC for Belicheck?

Huh.

This is true.  I guess the rocket scientist swings both ways when it comes to playcalling.
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/matt-patricia-emerges-patriots-offensive-play-caller-training-camp

18 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK. You must really know quite a bit about the kid.

18 hours ago, TBBills said:

Sorry didn't know you were his father.

I am just going by what he shows the public when things aren't going well for him.

He is godfather to all Alabama players.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little Mac had a tough outing against the Panthers .. first two drives were three and out with bad ball placement per this article. He did hit on a 45 yard pass  4 of 8 for 61 yards

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/19/patriots-first-string-offense-gets-off-to-sluggish-start-vs-panthers/

Edited by CorkScrewHill

I don't think he understands the concept of high floor, low ceiling like Alex Smith.

Especially when people get to see the difference between him and Josh Allen twice a year. And let's be honest, it's a stark difference in physical talent. Jones is Clark Kent to Allen's Superman and there is no phone booth on the sidelines or locker room for Jones to go in to transform.

Couple this with the disaster that will be Patricia and Judge acting as defacto OCs this year and lack of skill position talent still and I find it hard to see how Jones has a better year than he did last year under McDaniels who while potentially being a total douchebag and poor HC, is a pretty damn good OC.

He is what he is. A good game manager that doesn't have the physical ability to force teams to respect him the way they do Allen or Mahomes or Herbert.

Not saying he can't have a long career and be very successful during the regular season, he can. Chiefs had the best record in the NFL over the near decade that Smith was their QB in the regular season. But we all saw how his lack of physical ability was exposed during the playoffs. Reid didn't win the Super Bowl until Mahomes was his QB.

Sure he might have some limited success early on in the playoffs but unless he has an unbelievable team surrounding him like the 2000 Ravens or Broncos had with Peyton Manning, they won't be winning the SB because of him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/ex-nfl-gm-chooses-patriots-qb-mac-jones-sneaky-2022-mvp-pick

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

No reason to compare him to Allen.  He doesn’t think jones will win the mvp, rather is a “dark horse” candidate.

The pats are seen as a 💩 team this year by most (other than Tannenbaum).  If things go right for the Pats and they have success and make the playoffs he thinks Jones will be their driving force and the reason for their success.  We may have dominated him last year, but he was still a good QB.  

Rodgers won the MVP and didn’t win a playoff game.  Jones doesn’t have to win the SB to be a dark horse candidate.  

It’s a hot take in a media world dominated by hot takes 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Especially when people get to see the difference between him and Josh Allen twice a year. And let's be honest, it's a stark difference in physical talent. Jones is Clark Kent to Allen's Superman and there is no phone booth on the sidelines or locker room for Jones to go in to transform.

Belichick calling Superman’s phone booth only to find out he is already playing for the Bills

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.