OT: Belichick says that Mac's improvement is "dramatic"

Success

8 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

If Mac Jones had Buffalo’s weapons I think he’d be a legitimate concern. His arm strength is much talked about, but it’s decent enough, better than a Chad Pennington. He can get the ball to where it needs to be. Stop comparing his arm talent to Josh Allen, it’s not fair to him. And he doesn’t need Allen’s arm strength, he just needs to know where to go with the football, but needs playmakers to be able to do something with it. He lacks those weapons.

Are we so sure of that?

This should work out well.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

If Mac Jones had Buffalo’s weapons I think he’d be a legitimate concern. His arm strength is much talked about, but it’s decent enough, better than a Chad Pennington. He can get the ball to where it needs to be. Stop comparing his arm talent to Josh Allen, it’s not fair to him. And he doesn’t need Allen’s arm strength, he just needs to know where to go with the football, but needs playmakers to be able to do something with it. He lacks those weapons.

I'll never understand the obsession with arm strength like it's the only thing that matters for a QB.

Sure the rockets like Allen/Mahomes/Rogers/etc are great but some of the greatest QB's in NFL history also had 'questionable' arm strength including Jone's HOF predecessor and GOAT.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 716er said:

Can one please define whatever the hell "the cerebral thing" means?

For me, it's decision-making ability & the ability to process things quickly.

I was impressed how he would go through his reads, and make quick decisions. I think his arm held him back more than anything.

• Like (+1) 2

Mac Jones' ceiling, in my opinion, is Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, Chad Pennington...that type of guy.

Which is to say: surround him with a good running game and defense, and he can bring his team to the playoffs most of the time. 

As far as consistently threatening the Bills for the AFC East or threatening for a Lombardi? I don't see it.

The modern NFL is dominated by quarterbacks who can improvise, play out of structure, make off-platform throws, and are generally next level athletic phenoms who can carry their teams on their backs.

Sure, every few years you'll get an outlier, but most years, the Allens, Mahomes, and Rodgers of the world will continue to dominate. Defenses are simply too good nowadays, especially once you get to the playoffs. If you don't have a guy who can create his own offense against those elite defenses....good luck.

Another way of saying this is that I don't view Mac Jones (or Tua Tagovailoa, for that matter) being a threat to regularly outduel Josh Allen in big games or to regularly foster more team success than the elite quarterbacks.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Most QBs show big improvement from their rookie year to 2nd season. Not surprising.

Allen did improve from year 1 to 2 but his breakout season was 3. Even Tony Romo mentioned this. He basically said if a QB hasn't shown that he has the "it" factor by year 3 then he probably never will. The game usually slows down for a QB by year 3. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Another way of saying this is that I don't view Mac Jones (or Tua Tagovailoa, for that matter) being a threat to regularly outduel Josh Allen in big games or to regularly foster more team success than the elite quarterbacks.

Word has it that A.J. McCarron is available.  The Alabama Trio of Doom.

• Like (+1) 1

When Jones was called upon to win games last year, he could not. Jones has an average, at best arm. NE isn't doing him any favors with talent at WR or coaching. McDaniels is arguably a top 5 OC, as much as I do not like the way he presents himself I have to admit that, now who is he play caller and designer of the offense? If NE was any other franchise everyone would be raising eyebrows at how things are unfolding in Foxboro, because it is Belichick, he gets a pass. Let's see how much longer that is the case after they miss the playoffs again. 

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is great news. The more they stick with him, the less they are a threat. 

I expect Mac to get better, but is his ceiling anything more than a prime Matt Schaub or prime Chad Pennington?

Out of all the teams in the division I think they had the worst offseason. I know Bill is still there and they do have some talent but I wouldn't be surprised if they finish last in the division. I definitely think they will finish behind the Bills and Dolphins. It just depends on how much the Jets improve.

I think if Belichick retired, pretty much everything about that team would be a moot point.  

Put that roster under most other coaches, and they're middlin' at best.  There are almost no players that they have that I would take over a Bills player at the same position.  Maybe Barmore?

And same in reverse for Jones, imo.  If he was in a sitation last year like Lawrence had w/ the Jags, or Wilson with the Jets, no one would be talking about him.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are we so sure of that?

This should work out well.

They're not naming Patricia as OC so that Detroit is still on the hook for his salary through this season, and Patrica gets to avoid doing the weekly coordinator calls/interviews.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.