Training Camp Practice 7/26

YoloinOhio

39 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Sounding like OJ Howard is regressing to how he used to play for my fantasy teams. 

If OJ can figure out how to flip the switch, Buffalo may decide they will need to go with their no names as backup tight ends.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Not good that Howard continues to look like dog ***** considering all the 12 and 13 personnel they are starting to implement…. 

He's primarily going to be a blocking TE in this offense. It would have been a nice kicker if he had happened to reach his elite potential this year, but all we really need from him is to be better than Tommy Sweeney. If he is nothing more than an above average blocking TE with modest pass catching ability, that is a lot better than what we had last year at TE2. Anything beyond that is gravy.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s never been a consistently good blocker either though….and they got him for his playmaking ability but by all accounts to this point he appears washed…. And Tommy Sweeney shouldn’t have even been on the team he was that bad.

Joe Buscaglia said at OTAs Howard looked fine as a blocker and seemed to fit into the TE2 role. I haven't seen anyone comment one way or another on that part of his game at training camp. As a pass catcher he's been a disappointment but that won't be his primary job.

Don't read too much into formations being practiced at early training camp sessions. The new OC is implementing his playbook. They have to practice everything, even the formations that they'll only use situationally, especially formations that literally weren't possible to call last year because of our roster construction. In no universe are we going to consistently be taking WRs off the field to throw the ball to OJ Howard and Reggie Gilliam.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Anyone else hear the wgr caller today complaining that Josh signs for kids before the adults who pay their hard earned money and sit through cold weather at games 

I didn't hear it but it could be one (?) of the following

1. McDonalds strategy: win the kids and the parents will come along

2. Catch them young and they will be lifelong fans

3. Allen is a nice guy

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The thing about training camp reps is this:   They're all about downside.  If a guy flashes in training camp, it's nice but it doesn't mean much.  However, if he doesn't flash in training camp, it DOES mean something.   So, I'm happy to see that Cook is impressing already, not because it means he will be a factor in real games, but just because it means it's still possible he'll be a factor in real games. 

Good take. I would only add that some guys look good in shorts and others flash when the pads go on and they can hit. I would think Moss is a guy that won't look so great in shorts but with pads on he is able to showcase his toughness.

41 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s never demonstrated being a consistent blocker to this point in his career… and if his skills as as a receiver have diminished then he is borderline useless… def a guy I’m interested to see in the preseason. Bills need all the help they can get at depth at the skills position.

yeah, he is not making the team as a blocker. If he keeps dropping balls

and not getting open, he will be cut. 

That said, count me in the minority who likes Sweeney and thinks he can still turn it around. Still a young guy, and missed an entire season. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s never demonstrated being a consistent blocker to this point in his career… and if his skills as as a receiver have diminished then he is borderline useless… def a guy I’m interested to see in the preseason. Bills need all the help they can get at depth at the skills position.

Just to be completely fair he can run block. He isn't a dominant run blocker by any means, but he can hold his ground in the run game when he is the guy with the momentum going forward. He has been a liability in his NFL career as a pass blocker and it is one of the reasons Brady pushed for more Cameron Brate and Gronk and less OJ Howard. 

For Howard to be cut he would have to really suck because he costs them $2.75m this year regardless and he only saves you $300k by cutting him which for a team close to the cap isn't much room to go and get any sort of alternative low end vet. 

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That said, count me in the minority who likes Sweeney and thinks he can still turn it around. Still a young guy, and missed an entire season. 

Sweeney belongs behind the counter at McDonalds. Awful blocker, who can't run. He doesn't have terrible hands.... but that is it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think when they signed Howard they were looking for that dynamic pass catcher he flashed earlier on in his career…. From several reports he looks sluggish and lackluster as a receiver…. I’m sure he’s already an upgrade over Sweeney, but as you mentioned, that’s not saying much of anything. 

Yea I agree with this and if he isn't that is disappointing. But I still think he is likely going to end up our TE2. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think when they signed Howard they were looking for that dynamic pass catcher he flashed earlier on in his career

They're only paying him $2.9 million this year. As a point of reference they paid Tyler Kroft $4.9 million in 2019 and $5.4 million in 2020. I'm sure the Bills were hoping Howard would find some of that elite potential. But they didn't give him that modest contract with the idea that he was certain to be a dynamic pass catcher. They knew at worst he would be an upgrade at TE2. So far it looks like that's all they're getting, and that alone makes his contract worth it.

I think the real problem here is that some fans saw OJ Howard's name and got overly excited. Forget the name and the draft pedigree, look at the dollar amount. That tells you what Beane thought he was getting. It was a risk-free signing with a definitive floor and limitless upside. The $2.9 million pays for the floor. If we get more, great.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.