Training Camp Practice 7/26

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There you go, rook

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I will not get too worked up about training camp reps, I will not get too worked up about training camp reps, I will not get too worked up about training camp reps...

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I will not get too worked up about training camp reps, I will not get too worked up about training camp reps, I will not get too worked up about training camp reps...

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

The thing about training camp reps is this:   They're all about downside.  If a guy flashes in training camp, it's nice but it doesn't mean much.  However, if he doesn't flash in training camp, it DOES mean something.   So, I'm happy to see that Cook is impressing already, not because it means he will be a factor in real games, but just because it means it's still possible he'll be a factor in real games. 

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The thing about training camp reps is this:   They're all about downside.  If a guy flashes in training camp, it's nice but it doesn't mean much.  However, if he doesn't flash in training camp, it DOES mean something.   So, I'm happy to see that Cook is impressing already, not because it means he will be a factor in real games, but just because it means it's still possible he'll be a factor in real games. 

That is a very rational take, sir.  Are you sure you belong here?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The training camp reports coming in about our rookies have me already venturing into "unrealistic expectations" territory...

Ahhhh…..the tradition continues! I’m always a mix of “unrealistic expectations” and pure fear that the next tweet will be about something…..nobody wants to hear about any player on any team.

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for this. It's similar to when I hear about a player making plays in practice against the second or third team opposition, and people are quick to point out "psshh, it came against backups, it means nothing".

Well, no. A good prospect for whom we have high expectations -- AJ Epenesa, say -- is SUPPOSED TO be making plays against "inferior" competition! It's not necessarily news that he's making those plays, but it WOULD be news if he WASN'T making them!

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for this. It's similar to when I hear about a player making plays in practice against the second or third team opposition, and people are quick to point out "psshh, it came against backups, it means nothing".

Well, no. A good prospect for whom we have high expectations -- AJ Epenesa, say -- is SUPPOSED TO be making plays against "inferior" competition! It's not necessarily news that he's making those plays, but it WOULD be news if he WASN'T making them!

Agreed. The only thing I mayyyybee get a little excited on is if a rookie truly stands out the way Tre White did in 2017 preseason. You could see that he was going to do pretty well. Otherwise preseason is about overreaction and overexcitement in good/bad ways.

The 2014 preseason was a mess for the Bills and many people figured they were another 6-10 team. They at least ended up challenging for the post season late in the year. Last year people said the Bengals and Burrow especially was a step behind... that worked out ok for them.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.