I feel McDermott confirmed that Edmunds is a lock for an extension in interview today with NFLN

JerseyBills

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Pressures, hurries and knockdown can all still be completed for TD's.  Nothing good offensively comes from a sack. I'm so sick and tired of "almost" getting to the qb.  

I don't disagree. But the issue of not getting there was talent not scheme. We haven't had a finisher on the edge. They know that it is why they went and paid Von. Just sending more and more guys at the QB doesn't work. That gives up big completions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't disagree. But the issue of not getting there was talent not scheme. We haven't had a finisher on the edge. They know that it is why they went and paid Von. Just sending more and more guys at the QB doesn't work. That gives up big completions.

Jerry was a helluva player . I remember he either tied or broke JJ Watts record for pressures in a game with 20+ . Kinda sums up his tenure as a Bill. 

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

This.  The Bills got ahead of the game with White and Allen after their third year making them the second highest paid player at their position in terms of average annual value.  Allen's now fifth while White is seventh.  That's why extending Oliver now makes sense but Oliver may bet on himself to have an elite season driving up his price.  The Bills could've (and still can I guess) significantly reduce Edmunds's cap hit this year with an extension but they haven't yet.  

If I was a betting man I think he makes top dollar elsewhere next season if they don't get an extension done in the next few weeks.  Some dysfunctional franchise will overpay next year.  Frazier mentioned making more splash plays and my guess is that's what McBeane's expectations this year are too.  There just hasn't been much improvement at all since his rookie year so why would this year be any different?

I disagree.  Because who replaces Edmunds? Beane n Co aren't going to let the QB of a consistent top 5 defense just walk without having a definitive plan at such an important position and I don't see a replacement out there unless they go with a rookie, which is always a risk

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

This.  The Bills got ahead of the game with White and Allen after their third year making them the second highest paid player at their position in terms of average annual value.  Allen's now fifth while White is seventh.  That's why extending Oliver now makes sense but Oliver may bet on himself to have an elite season driving up his price.  The Bills could've (and still can I guess) significantly reduce Edmunds's cap hit this year with an extension but they haven't yet.  

If I was a betting man I think he makes top dollar elsewhere next season if they don't get an extension done in the next few weeks.  Some dysfunctional franchise will overpay next year.  Frazier mentioned making more splash plays and my guess is that's what McBeane's expectations this year are too.  There just hasn't been much improvement at all since his rookie year so why would this year be any different?

Yes sir.

Not to mention Dawkins and Taron as well as those guys had extensions done before their contracts expired.

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Jerry was a helluva player . I remember he either tied or broke JJ Watts record for pressures in a game with 20+ . Kinda sums up his tenure as a Bill. 

I disagree.  Because who replaces Edmunds? Beane n Co aren't going to let the QB of a consistent top 5 defense just walk without having a definitive plan at such an important position and I don't see a replacement out there unless they go with a rookie, which is always a risk

You draft a rookie... it's what they did when they drafted Edmunds. It seems like the thing they don't mind doing.

9 hours ago, TBBills said:

You need to stop reading the PR Interviews,  they are supposed to be like that. The big tell is that he is the only one who hasn't gotten a pay day.

No disrespect, but I mean you’re giving that more relevance than it is IMHO.  

11 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

And sorry, *tackles for loss as well for impact plays,

So INT, TFL, sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, pass breaks up and batted balls.

He had 13 total impact plays combined....

I don't understand how its even possible to have that low of a number for a starting MLB, neverthless for a guy who plays basically every snap.

Again, it comes down to how they use Edmunds more than you think, which was the entire point of the post I made you keep responding to.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Crazy to think he's only 24 and has had 4 NFL starting seasons under his belt as the defensive signal caller, and 4 straight 100-tackle seasons.

Some guys coming out of the draft this year are turning 24 this year...

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

1) So you are saying Edmunds has the impact of a franchise QB........but on the defensive side of the ball?   That would be very false.   He's a signal caller not a QB..........don't use outdated phraseology that makes no sense in the current NFL.

MLB's have traditionally mirrored RB's in terms of importance and that really hasn't changed nearly as much as the value of the QB position in the past 20 years.    You can't win without a top QB now...........you can win without a top RB or MLB.   Proof?   Who was the Rams MLB in the SB last January?

2) The Bills were around 18th in the NFL in defense in 2020............so, in fact, they've not been a consistent top 5 defense with Edmunds.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

People are overrating the importance of Edmunds … the team wouldn’t miss a beat with a plug and play rookie mid round pick at MLB assuming Allen stays healthy and the offense keeps clicking.  “QB of the defense” 😅 

Maybe offenses might attack the Bills a bit differently without Edmunds but the mistake people make is thinking that such a thing would make their defense the lesser.    Prior to the Dareus trade the Bills 2017 defense was playing tremendous football with journeyman quality Preston Brown at MLB.    Brown went on the lead the entire NFL in tackles that season.   The system is conducive to making an instinctive MLB......which isn't hard to find.......look good.   That's why it was troubling when Edmunds didn't make much(any, really) progress after his rookie season.    Every season we wonder if the switch is going to come on for him.   Maybe it does.   But what he's been doing really wouldn't be that difficult to replace.   

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Crazy to think he's only 24 and has had 4 NFL starting seasons under his belt as the defensive signal caller, and 4 straight 100-tackle seasons.

Some guys coming out of the draft this year are turning 24 this year...

He's basically a rookie.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect, but I mean you’re giving that more relevance than it is IMHO.  

Again, it comes down to how they use Edmunds more than you think, which was the entire point of the post I made you keep responding to.  

Frazier himself even said they need more splash plays from him.

It's pretty objective that the guy needs to make more plays and I don't think anyone can really deny that.

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

They're not afraid to give rookies a starting job in important positions.  Especially drafted in the first round.  White, Edmunds, Oliver, Rousseau, and now Elam were/are being thrown into the fire their rookie year.  .   With everyone around the rookie locked up through next year they can get away with someone wet behind the ears.  You can also sign a cheaper veteran free agent or promote from within (who knows what they think of the guys behind Oliver on the depth chart).

58 minutes ago, Beerball said:

He's basically a rookie.

Great.  Can we get him four years on the rookie wage scale?

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Frazier himself even said they need more splash plays from him.

It's pretty objective that the guy needs to make more plays and I don't think anyone can really deny that.

Im not saying he couldn’t make more or shouldn’t.  

Im saying the way Edmunds is used is impacting and limiting those kinds of plays.  

But did Frazier say that he wants more “splash plays” from the defense and you’re just deciding your own narrative that he was really talking about  “Edmunds” only, or did Frazier actually say he needs more “splash plays” from specifically Edmunds?  

I didn’t see the quote, so can you share this where Frazier called out Edmunds directly and for specifically more splash plays?  Not calling you out, I legitimately haven’t seen this and would like to read what he said.  Mainly because I don’t like how Frazier calls his defense and would like to see what else he had to say that could lead to more aggressive defense this year.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not saying he couldn’t make more or shouldn’t.  

Im saying the way Edmunds is used is impacting and limiting those kinds of plays.  

But did Frazier say that he wants more “splash plays” from the defense and you’re just deciding your own narrative that he was really talking about  “Edmunds” only, or did Frazier actually say he needs more “splash plays” from specifically Edmunds?  

I didn’t see the quote, so can you share this where Frazier called out Edmunds directly and for specifically more splash plays?  Not calling you out, I legitimately haven’t seen this and would like to read what he said.  Mainly because I don’t like how Frazier calls his defense and would like to see what else he had to say that could lead to more aggressive defense this year.

https://buffalowdown.com/2022/06/09/buffalo-bills-hoping-splash-plays-tremaine-edmunds/amp/

yes sir, should be in here^

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

People are overrating the importance of Edmunds … the team wouldn’t miss a beat with a plug and play rookie mid round pick at MLB assuming Allen stays healthy and the offense keeps clicking.  “QB of the defense” 😅 

Couldn't agree more. I know Tremaine has his loyal die hard following, but there's just as many fans like myself who have never been convinced. The fact he hasn't got extended yet speaks volumes. I think this contract season for him will be good but nothing spectacular. He'll do what he always does "taking up defensive space" without any substantial splash plays. I could easily see McB let 49 test the market and someone will overpay. Take whatever $ you would've spent on Edmunds and lock up Ed.  McDermott will find a hybrid replacement without spending 14M.

MLB, Safety, RB. You let those players walk when you’re close to the cap like we are. It’s nothing personal, it’s just business. Some floundering franchise will pay him more than we will be able to and he’s definitely earned that contract, just not from us.

• Agree 1

On 7/31/2022 at 7:53 AM, JerseyBills said:

They already drafted his replacement.

His name is Terrel Bernard. 

8 minutes ago, below said:

They already drafted his replacement.

His name is Terrel Bernard. 

Is he a MLB….or a safety replacement down the road? Either way, I just hope he’s a terrific football player! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.