I feel McDermott confirmed that Edmunds is a lock for an extension in interview today with NFLN

JerseyBills

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In what way is he inflexible?

he refuses to blitz, play press coverage, and plays off ball coverage on WRs.  If those final 13 seconds did not display his inflexibility I don't know what does.  Either pressure the QB quickly and have CBs back, or press coverage.  Or mixture of both.  It was the vanilla "prevent D" that "prevents you from winning" that we got.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

50 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

he refuses to blitz, play press coverage, and plays off ball coverage on WRs.  If those final 13 seconds did not display his inflexibility I don't know what does.  Either pressure the QB quickly and have CBs back, or press coverage.  Or mixture of both.  It was the vanilla "prevent D" that "prevents you from winning" that we got.  

The 13 seconds were bad, they have been done to death, but I don't think he in inflexible. When we won in Kansas City in the regular season he played Tre and Taron in much more press coverage and disrupted KC at the line. Once Tre went down for the year the simple fact is our ability to do that on the outside went with him - if we had pressed Levi and Dane against people like Tyreek Hill it would have been an even bigger disaster. Frazier has shown plenty of flexibility and he does a really good job of disguised coverage.  Most people who dislike Frazier are really just blitzing zealots. The Bills blitzed the 13th most in the NFL last year. They do it plenty. I actually think they did it too much last year and we gave up at least two big plays that ended up costing us games on poor blitzes. He is a clever coordinator who is undervalued by most Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

you must not be watching. When I watch the Bills on defense I see a huge tall man with loooong arms blocking any footballs from getting past him in the middle of the field. 

Hey fair enough, I just don't see it.

I see a guy who's lost out there a lot of the time.

And I see a guy who doesn't make impact plays. (That part is pretty objective and even the biggest Edmunds fans can't argue this one)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

And I see a guy who doesn't make impact plays. (That part is pretty objective and even the biggest Edmunds fans can't argue this one)

…but McD and Frazier love him, so all of his detractors are wrong.  😂

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ah sorry I was being sarcastic. Couldn’t find the sarcasm emoji at 6am 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The 13 seconds were bad, they have been done to death, but I don't think he in inflexible. When we won in Kansas City in the regular season he played Tre and Taron in much more press coverage and disrupted KC at the line. Once Tre went down for the year the simple fact is our ability to do that on the outside went with him - if we had pressed Levi and Dane against people like Tyreek Hill it would have been an even bigger disaster. Frazier has shown plenty of flexibility and he does a really good job of disguised coverage.  Most people who dislike Frazier are really just blitzing zealots. The Bills blitzed the 13th most in the NFL last year. They do it plenty. I actually think they did it too much last year and we gave up at least two big plays that ended up costing us games on poor blitzes. He is a clever coordinator who is undervalued by most Bills fans. 

Well in that 1st K.C. game he was on national media saying he was gonna rely on rushing 4. He got away with it because at that point the Chiefs were sucking....and in the national media after was touted and taking credit for being a genius. That playoff game showcased his stubbornness.

Mahomes goes left and dumps it, Mahomes goes right and dumps it. Frazier should have fired himself after that game.....

and while I'm at it, Maine looked like a lost rookie. Here's to hoping Mcd is laying some ground work to run some 4-3 and different looks when he needs to like press man and sending a backer on every play. Nickel is gonna get old and it's gonna cost us games, especially against running teams with big backs. Just like needing to stay ahead of the curve on offense, the same is needed on defense.

Trends are always changing, but some coaches just cannot adapt. We don't need a D. Wanndstent (sp?) defense. We need to evolve. I'm excited about the Dline additions, but they are still going to have to stunt and blitz. 13th in blitzing needs to be broken down a bit and it probably was a result of just a handful of games.

• Disagree 2

6 hours ago, nosejob said:

Well in that 1st K.C. game he was on national media saying he was gonna rely on rushing 4. He got away with it because at that point the Chiefs were sucking....and in the national media after was touted and taking credit for being a genius. That playoff game showcased his stubbornness.

Mahomes goes left and dumps it, Mahomes goes right and dumps it. Frazier should have fired himself after that game.....

and while I'm at it, Maine looked like a lost rookie. Here's to hoping Mcd is laying some ground work to run some 4-3 and different looks when he needs to like press man and sending a backer on every play. Nickel is gonna get old and it's gonna cost us games, especially against running teams with big backs. Just like needing to stay ahead of the curve on offense, the same is needed on defense.

Trends are always changing, but some coaches just cannot adapt. We don't need a D. Wanndstent (sp?) defense. We need to evolve. I'm excited about the Dline additions, but they are still going to have to stunt and blitz. 13th in blitzing needs to be broken down a bit and it probably was a result of just a handful of games.

See. The people who dislike Frazier are blitz zealots.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, nosejob said:

Mahomes is deadly against the blitz so it wasn't Frazier's stubbornness in only rushing four the whole game.  It was countless examples over the years of Mahomes tearing apart teams that brought more than four rushers.  The main difference between the first and second Chiefs game was we didn't have Tre White and our d-line didn't get as much pressure on Mahomes and/or couldn't finish.  It's part of why we revamped our defensive line and signed Von Miller.  It also may be why McBeane felt they needed to upgrade from Levi Wallace at the #2 CB role.  Drafting Bernard shows me that they are well aware they need to improve against run heavy teams.  You don't kick a d-coordinator to the curb when your defense was number one overall.  However, I'll admit that after those 13 seconds though I felt at the time they should've left him in KC.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Anyone who thinks Edmunds won't be extended is kidding themselves. He'll be extended and it'll be for top 10 money.

10th is Matt Milano money - $10.5m AAV. I could live with that. Not sure he is taking that when the top of the market is almost double that

• Agree 1

On 7/29/2022 at 2:47 AM, BillsFan130 said:

Yep.

The only thing Edmunds fans can say is, "but he takes up so much space in the middle of the field, and he's a leader ".

Or will cherry pick some stat like joe Marino did on that podcast.

I say this with no disrespect to people as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it just boggles my mind how people can watch Edmunds and think he's a good football player.

The dude just doesn't make impact plays. 

Yet coaches, teammates and his peers say the opposite.  That he’s impacting the game at a multitude of levels throughout the game.

Maybe your definition of impact plays is too limited to things like sacks and just doesn’t factor in the way our DC uses Edmunds on the field.  Because the coaches feel that he’s executing what they ask him to do at a high level, and so do his teammates. 

I’ve said this many times, the things fans hate the most about Edmunds is less about Edmunds play, and more about how they use him isn’t going to generate a high number of the fans narrow view of what they define as an “impact” play.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

See. The people who dislike Frazier are blitz zealots.

Because I want to see more creativity resulting in more sacks and TFL's?.....I plead guilty. If this line looks like Mario, Marcel, Kyle and Jerry, ya won't hear a peep out of me, but sadly trends change on a yearly basis. We will be sending 4 against 5 Oline , 2 TE's and a back. It's gonna be a matter of simple math a majority of the time....just like always.

19 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Because I want to see more creativity resulting in more sacks and TFL's?.....I plead guilty. If this line looks like Mario, Marcel, Kyle and Jerry, ya won't hear a peep out of me, but sadly trends change on a yearly basis. We will be sending 4 against 5 Oline , 2 TE's and a back. It's gonna be a matter of simple math a majority of the time....just like always.

The Bills led the league in pressures last year. The problem they had in terms of converting to sacks was talent. It was lack of finishers outside. There was nothing wrong with the scheme. It was talent. That is why we paid Von Miller.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet coaches, teammates and his peers say the opposite.  That he’s impacting the game at a multitude of levels throughout the game.

Maybe your definition of impact plays is too limited to things like sacks and just doesn’t factor in the way our DC uses Edmunds on the field.  Because the coaches feel that he’s executing what they ask him to do at a high level, and so do his teammates. 

I’ve said this many times, the things fans hate the most about Edmunds is less about Edmunds play, and more about how they use him isn’t going to generate a high number of the fans narrow view of what they define as an “impact” play.  

They say the opposite, but why isn't he extended yet? They could have saved a lot of money on the cap also.

Clearly they aren't sure of him either and they want to see more. (Beane always extends his core guys prior to a contract expiring, with the exception of Milano)

Impact plays I define as sacks, INT, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, pass break ups, batted balls.

Want to know how many he had of that total? 13... I'm sorry but that's just unacceptable for a guy who plays every snap and is in the centre of the field.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And sorry, *tackles for loss as well for impact plays,

So INT, TFL, sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, pass breaks up and batted balls.

He had 13 total impact plays combined....

I don't understand how its even possible to have that low of a number for a starting MLB, neverthless for a guy who plays basically every snap.

Edited by BillsFan130

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills led the league in pressures last year. The problem they had in terms of converting to sacks was talent. It was lack of finishers outside. There was nothing wrong with the scheme. It was talent. That is why we paid Von Miller.

Pressures, hurries and knockdown can all still be completed for TD's.  Nothing good offensively comes from a sack. I'm so sick and tired of "almost" getting to the qb.  

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You need to stop reading the PR Interviews,  they are supposed to be like that. The big tell is that he is the only one who hasn't gotten a pay day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

You need to stop reading the PR Interviews,  they are supposed to be like that. The big tell is that he is the only one who hasn't gotten a pay day.

This.  The Bills got ahead of the game with White and Allen after their third year making them the second highest paid player at their position in terms of average annual value.  Allen's now fifth while White is seventh.  That's why extending Oliver now makes sense but Oliver may bet on himself to have an elite season driving up his price.  The Bills could've (and still can I guess) significantly reduce Edmunds's cap hit this year with an extension but they haven't yet.  

If I was a betting man I think he makes top dollar elsewhere next season if they don't get an extension done in the next few weeks.  Some dysfunctional franchise will overpay next year.  Frazier mentioned making more splash plays and my guess is that's what McBeane's expectations this year are too.  There just hasn't been much improvement at all since his rookie year so why would this year be any different?

• Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.