I feel McDermott confirmed that Edmunds is a lock for an extension in interview today with NFLN

JerseyBills

17 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Would you judge an elite cb just in terms of pass break ups and interceptions though?

What if he's so good the other team avoids him as much as possible?

What if instead, he plays zone a ton and because of his range and length, he is able to prevent people from taking deep shots and instead forces teams to take dump offs to the front part of that defenders zone. When the qb is forced to check down because of the player's ability to eliminate the chunk play they are trying to hit, they then tackle the check down for very little YAC at the same rate, or better as other players considered elite at their position?

Why are you ignoring his impact on the running game?

5 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Hard to see him not getting more sacks, picks, etc when now you have a future Hof player leading the d, and better d lineman in front of him at almost ever position.  Only one way to go and I don’t think they record negative numbers or missed opportunities all that accurately. 😊 Hey , maybe he will lead the league in “ pass elevations” as a new stat !  It’s just like all the great arguments that passes are never thrown in the middle because he is so good, and of course it’s hard to prove a negative premise. I think the one real measurable is he is working on his 5 th year option and not a lucrative contract when Beane seems to find ways to sign big names/ impact p,Ayer’s he wants regardless of the cap. That is at least tangible. Is there really a huge doubt that he is probably the player that if off the field / injured , that most fans won’t believe our SB chances plummet because he is so irreplaceable!? Take Milano off the field and this D struggke.  Poyer is much more impactful , he just wasn’t a high draft pick and is getting on the wrong side of 30, yet I still bet Beane does something to keep him happy and I bet that happens before anything else with edmunds. 

This is his last year as a Bill IMO, There are faster , younger LBs who can cover ( how many picks has he had , 2 in 4 years? , and he lacks PBU’s “;because they don’t throw in his area” ( because they throw frosding routes in front of him as he always drops deeply and he lets wrs come to him and many times long 3 rd downs get converted as it’s hard to remember how many times he has blown up a guy after they catch in front of  him, which may also account for his lack of impressive FF numbers given his anazing “ size/ speed combination”!  Great kid , but he is never mentioned with all the great Bills LBs  like , Talley , Bennett, Conlan, Spikes, Spielman and even Ray Bentley was a harder hitter than Edmunds.

He will never be mentioned with great LBs like Lewis, Taylor, Urlacher etc, which is amazing given he is the QB of a  supposed #1 D!   The Bills won’t make that mistake again of drafting a Lb in round one , and just look to this year as they drafted Bernard and they don’t seem extremely concerned about their Lb depth should edmunds be out for any period.   He is a good player , good scheme fit, but his production will be replaced with a more cost effective version next year imo unless he has a career year of real plays, not based on  imaginary plays that didn’t happen because teams game planned to avoid running thru his zone coverage. Great character man, one of the least instinctive 6’5” LBs in Bills history. I would love to see how this D looks with a real “ Jack Lambert”:mentality mindset who plays the part  and isn’t out there just cuz he looks like he should be tough. Hard to trust it’s suddenly going to all click now after 4 years.   When you hear hoof Beats and turn around , it’s usually a horse and not a zebra , right? 😉  It is what it is, he is who we think  he is by now most likely. He is more cliche than wall of fame candidate. One thing is certain, the time for excuses has passed. ( yet I wonder the over / under on how many times we will hear “ he is still so young” ?   Time to let him.grow up on someone else’s SB window! ) 

You make good points that many others concur.  I agree that the over/under on his potential keeps us guessing, and hoping.  Many of LBs that you cite worked with good to great pass rush.  I see a better pass rush which will result in him flourishing.  I defer to coaches.  After all, he is D captain, not Milano, for a reason.  I agree that we need to see more visible impact game changing plays this year.  At this point, he has not shown top ten production, but believe he will.

10 hours ago, BigDingus said:

"He has been the QB for a top defense for multiple years. That's a fact."

Yes, BUT...

As Phil Simms recently said, they weren't REALLY a great defense in the way that they were dominant, got after QBs or struck fear into opposing offenses, especially after Tre went down... They feasted on some VERY bad offenses, which boosted their overall averages. The best offenses we played - 

Bucs (2nd ranked offense) - 33 points (Loss)

Chiefs (3rd ranked) - 21 points (Win) & playoffs 42 points (Loss)

Patriots (15th ranked offense) - 14 (Doesn't count...) & 21 (Win) & playoffs 17 points (Super-Win)

Colts (16th ranked offense) - 45 points (Loss)

Titans (17th ranked offense) - 34 points (Loss)

Every other team we played was bottom of the barrel offensively, including 7 of the 8 WORST offenses in the league (everyone but the Giants) - 

Commanders (21st ranked)

Steelers (23rd ranked)

Dolphins (25th ranked)

Jets (26th ranked)

Jaguars (27th ranked)

Saints (28th ranked)

Falcons (29th ranked)

Panthers (30th ranked)

Texans (32nd ranked)

So yeah, he's got the leadership & playbook thing down, but it's not exactly wrong for fans to want more out of him on the field. Improved MLB play can really help anchor the defense & push them into dominant territory (along with a better pass rush).

The 2014 Bills defense was "only" ranked 4th overall, but they were far more dominant & feared compared to our #1 ranked defense from last season.

This of course is not all on Edmunds, he is but a cog in the machine, the defense as good as it is, has not produced dominated line play, which frankly is the key to all of the D’s woes imo.  Frazier is a good defensive mind, BUT he is no doubt inflexible in his methods, and it has been his Achilles heal as it were.  (The reason he is not seen as a viable HC candidate)

It is my hope that with the new D acquisitions that, primarily McDermott and then Frazier will scheme those players in the most productive way, we shall see. I wish I had the answer, but I don’t, so I will just have to live with how it plays out. 👍

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, nosejob said:

They were talking today about instincts as to MLB. They were amazed at how Bernard seemed to know what was going to happen before it happened yet were saying Tremaine is like...if A happens....if B happens...if C happens. Sadly that has described 4 years of play and I don't know if that will change. I heard plenty of his interviews as well as Brown and Tasker.

I've been watching this team since 73. While he has terrific measurable s and is good teammate, he ain't know Fred Warner.

Could he amaze? sure. I hope I'm wrong. I just get the feeling some team will make an outrageous offer next year and that'll be that.

It's either Tremaine isn't good at pres-nap reads and/or he over relies on his natural abilities to make up for it. Yet Edmunds usually seems to be a step slow as you mentioned. Personally I don't mind if we let him walk. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I realize that changing your mind based on external evidence isn’t part of your DNA, and I appreciate that you’re willing to be so public about being so wrong, so consistently.  I’d say “never change” but I don’t have to, you won’t (other than the occasional dork-morph into alter ego “Jaraxxus”).

Changing my mind based on external evidence isn't an issue.

Changing my mind based on completely invented stats like "defeats" is.

Show me sacks, TFLs, forced fumbles, et cetera ad infinitum. Don't show me "pass rush win rates" and "defeats."

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Show me sacks, TFLs, forced fumbles, et cetera ad infinitum. Don't show me "pass rush win rates" and "defeats."

First of all you mean metrics.

Second of all, all metrics are “invented.”

Third of all, you were against the pick from the jump and since your world view consists of, “Anything I say has to be right,” you continue to refuse to acknowledge what everyone else, such as the team which rushed to exercise his fifth year option, understands, including unbiased analysts like Football Outsiders who have no motive to defend the draft pick: Ed Oliver was easily the best player on the Bills’ d-line last season and one of the best defensive playmakers in the league.  

Not surprised you have no real quibble with their metrics other than calling them “invented” - ie “fake news” - that’s totally on-brand for you.  Considering you sometimes sign into a burner account to hype up your own weak takes and got called out by a mod for it, this is to be fully expected.

As for “rent free” - you were the one prowling around my profile yesterday…

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

First of all you mean metrics.

Second of all, all metrics are “invented.”

Third of all, you were against the pick from the jump and since your world view consists of, “Anything I say has to be right,” you continue to refuse to acknowledge what everyone else, such as the team which rushed to exercise his fifth year option, understands, including unbiased analysts like Football Outsiders who have no motive to defend the draft pick: Ed Oliver was easily the best player on the Bills’ d-line last season and one of the best defensive playmakers in the league.  

Not surprised you have no real quibble with their metrics other than calling them “invented” - ie “fake news” - that’s totally on-brand for you.  Considering you sometimes sign into a burner account to hype up your own weak takes and got called out by a mod for it, this is to be fully expected.

As for “rent free” - you were the one prowling around my profile yesterday…

Ok, guy. I've got no reason to continue trying to hold your hand on this. You have a fantastic day.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:39 PM, Bob in STL said:

He told Von that his family calls him “Maine”.   Great name for an MLB, and great question by Von. 

Well that is better than being called New Hampshire or Massachusetts.   

We will know we have something if Josh on the line calls out "one Maine, two Maine, hike!".

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/25/2022 at 9:34 PM, Ga boy said:

Good catch.  Maybe he gets it before Sept 1.  This D will dominate this year and Edmunds will lead with his play.  I bet he will get more sacks, stuffs and picks.  

Edmunds numbers may improve, but having Von Miller is likely why. Hard to evaluate him.   Hopefully he improves, taking the right angles in the run game and not getting knocked around would be nice

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

This of course is not all on Edmunds, he is but a cog in the machine, the defense as good as it is, has not produced dominated line play, which frankly is the key to all of the D’s woes imo.  Frazier is a good defensive mind, BUT he is no doubt inflexible in his methods, and it has been his Achilles heal as it were.  (The reason he is not seen as a viable HC candidate)

It is my hope that with the new D acquisitions that, primarily McDermott and then Frazier will scheme those players in the most productive way, we shall see. I wish I had the answer, but I don’t, so I will just have to live with how it plays out. 👍

Go Bills!!!

good point about Frazier.  He is really inflexible and I wish he were not the DC.  Seems we have “talent” on the front 7 that has yet to show itself.  Are the players (AJ, Boogie, Edmunds) just over-rated, or is a scheme holding them back?

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd offer a 4/$48M, $10M signing bonus, $36M guaranteed.

that might be okay.  I have no issue bringing him back, I see him as okay/average.  But if he wants top LB money there are other players I’d rather keep (Knox, Davis if he balls out) and draft another LB or FA one.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

On 7/27/2022 at 2:17 PM, RyanC883 said:

Edmunds numbers may improve, but having Von Miller is likely why. Hard to evaluate him.   Hopefully he improves, taking the right angles in the run game and not getting knocked around would be nice

good point about Frazier.  He is really inflexible and I wish he were not the DC.  Seems we have “talent” on the front 7 that has yet to show itself.  Are the players (AJ, Boogie, Edmunds) just over-rated, or is a scheme holding them back?

that might be okay.  I have no issue bringing him back, I see him as okay/average.  But if he wants top LB money there are other players I’d rather keep (Knox, Davis if he balls out) and draft another LB or FA one.  

Agree

• Eyeroll 1

On 7/27/2022 at 7:17 PM, RyanC883 said:

In what way is he inflexible?

On 7/27/2022 at 10:15 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

Yep.

The only thing Edmunds fans can say is, "but he takes up so much space in the middle of the field, and he's a leader ".

Or will cherry pick some stat like joe Marino did on that podcast.

I say this with no disrespect to people as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it just boggles my mind how people can watch Edmunds and think he's a good football player.

The dude just doesn't make impact plays. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/27/2022 at 10:06 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd offer a 4/$48M, $10M signing bonus, $36M guaranteed.

I doubt that will fly. He's making 12.7 on a 5th yr. option and given the top LB's are hovering close to 20 per, he'll likely be looking for at least 60 over 4 yr.s at min.

11 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep.

The only thing Edmunds fans can say is, "but he takes up so much space in the middle of the field, and he's a leader ".

Or will cherry pick some stat like joe Marino did on that podcast.

I say this with no disrespect to people as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it just boggles my mind how people can watch Edmunds and think he's a good football player.

The dude just doesn't make impact plays. 

you must not be watching. When I watch the Bills on defense I see a huge tall man with loooong arms blocking any footballs from getting past him in the middle of the field. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.