I feel McDermott confirmed that Edmunds is a lock for an extension in interview today with NFLN

JerseyBills

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Bobby Wagner is 32 years old. Tremaine Edmunds is 24 years old. C'mon man, you have to be aware of how big of a factor age and tire tread is when it comes to signing a Free Agent. If that's the case, Jordan Poyer should get every penny (and probably more) that Minkah Fitzpatrick got.

And I think agreeing that the position as a whole league wide is in rough shape thanks to today's offenses/QBs and still calling him a "middle of the pack" MLB is really downplaying his value.

If you think a 24 year old, two time Pro Bowl MLB who has missed a total of 3 games in 4 seasons while being a playcalling Captain of the #1 Defense in the NFL is only worth "middle of the pack" money on the open market - I think you're WAY off base.

💯💯💯

19 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Good catch.  Maybe he gets it before Sept 1.  This D will dominate this year and Edmunds will lead with his play.  I bet he will get more sacks, stuffs and picks.  

While I hope you're right...about his improved play this year, he's on the 5th year option at almost 13 mil. No way does he get a new deal now and he better wrap 5 yrs. into this one because right now he ain't worth 15 plus. If God forbid he misses time, Bernard could outshine him. If they are so sold on him, why draft Bernard when you have Dodson?

I don't mean to be down on Tremaine, maybe he all of a sudden turns into a game changer. I'm just going off 48 years of watching players on this team.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Bobby Wagner is 32 years old. Tremaine Edmunds is 24 years old. C'mon man, you have to be aware of how big of a factor age and tire tread is when it comes to signing a Free Agent. If that's the case, Jordan Poyer should get every penny (and probably more) that Minkah Fitzpatrick got.

And I think agreeing that the position as a whole league wide is in rough shape thanks to today's offenses/QBs and still calling him a "middle of the pack" MLB is really downplaying his value.

If you think a 24 year old, two time Pro Bowl MLB who has missed a total of 3 games in 4 seasons while being a playcalling Captain of the #1 Defense in the NFL is only worth "middle of the pack" money on the open market - I think you're WAY off base.

Regarding Wagner, his contract is effectively a two year, $17.5M deal with 3 optional years at $11M, $10.5M and $11M each.  So that is even cheaper than $10M AAV, though if he’s cut after one season his pay would be $10M total.  So his age isn’t really a factor.  He’s also been an outstanding MLB, which makes him a superior player to Edmunds.

The Bills retooled a lot of that #1 ranked defense, didn’t they?  Were all of those moves mistakes?  So instead, let’s only give credit where it’s actually earned.  Edmunds has a lot of gifts, but he has a lot of flaws too.  His overall performance has not set him apart from a very crowded, middle of the pack of MLBs.

There’s a reason he hasn’t been extended.  He has not lived up to his draft status or the contract he wants.  I loved hearing Beane say that he needs to make more positive impact plays.  That was him publicly challenging Edmunds to earn the contract he has been asking for.

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Edmunds is not near the best at his position so if he's looking for top dollar he can leave. That said his skill set is difficult to replace as not too many LBs have his measurables yet to me we need a MLB who can shed blockers, seek out running backs and make tackles which Edmunds has struggled with at times. I haven't looked at UFAs this season but we did draft two LBs last season which to me should put Edmunds on notice.

They were talking today about instincts as to MLB. They were amazed at how Bernard seemed to know what was going to happen before it happened yet were saying Tremaine is like...if A happens....if B happens...if C happens. Sadly that has described 4 years of play and I don't know if that will change. I heard plenty of his interviews as well as Brown and Tasker.

I've been watching this team since 73. While he has terrific measurable s and is good teammate, he ain't know Fred Warner.

Could he amaze? sure. I hope I'm wrong. I just get the feeling some team will make an outrageous offer next year and that'll be that.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Even if Edmunds were to 'break out' I still can't see this team paying a LB big money extension given the salary cap situation they are up against in the next few years.

You can't keep everyone and at some point you have to be willing to move on and let certain players want.

But if McD is serious about all this than who really knows, just think it would be a big mistake given Edmunds body of work and proven failure in big games.

The salary cap is merely book keeping, it can be manipulated in what appears to be endless ways, I’m not concerned in the least, or for that matter, the most…, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, nosejob said:

They were talking today about instincts as to MLB. They were amazed at how Bernard seemed to know what was going to happen before it happened yet were saying Tremaine is like...if A happens....if B happens...if C happens. Sadly that has described 4 years of play and I don't know if that will change. I heard plenty of his interviews as well as Brown and Tasker.

I've been watching this team since 73. While he has terrific measurable s and is good teammate, he ain't know Fred Warner.

Could he amaze? sure. I hope I'm wrong. I just get the feeling some team will make an outrageous offer next year and that'll be that.

Warner is typically my comp for Edmunds, they are remarkably similar players

"He has been the QB for a top defense for multiple years. That's a fact."

Yes, BUT...

As Phil Simms recently said, they weren't REALLY a great defense in the way that they were dominant, got after QBs or struck fear into opposing offenses, especially after Tre went down... They feasted on some VERY bad offenses, which boosted their overall averages. The best offenses we played - 

Bucs (2nd ranked offense) - 33 points (Loss)

Chiefs (3rd ranked) - 21 points (Win) & playoffs 42 points (Loss)

Patriots (15th ranked offense) - 14 (Doesn't count...) & 21 (Win) & playoffs 17 points (Super-Win)

Colts (16th ranked offense) - 45 points (Loss)

Titans (17th ranked offense) - 34 points (Loss)

Every other team we played was bottom of the barrel offensively, including 7 of the 8 WORST offenses in the league (everyone but the Giants) - 

Commanders (21st ranked)

Steelers (23rd ranked)

Dolphins (25th ranked)

Jets (26th ranked)

Jaguars (27th ranked)

Saints (28th ranked)

Falcons (29th ranked)

Panthers (30th ranked)

Texans (32nd ranked)

So yeah, he's got the leadership & playbook thing down, but it's not exactly wrong for fans to want more out of him on the field. Improved MLB play can really help anchor the defense & push them into dominant territory (along with a better pass rush).

The 2014 Bills defense was "only" ranked 4th overall, but they were far more dominant & feared compared to our #1 ranked defense from last season.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:34 PM, Ga boy said:

Good catch.  Maybe he gets it before Sept 1.  This D will dominate this year and Edmunds will lead with his play.  I bet he will get more sacks, stuffs and picks.  

Hard to see him not getting more sacks, picks, etc when now you have a future Hof player leading the d, and better d lineman in front of him at almost ever position.  Only one way to go and I don’t think they record negative numbers or missed opportunities all that accurately. 😊 Hey , maybe he will lead the league in “ pass elevations” as a new stat !  It’s just like all the great arguments that passes are never thrown in the middle because he is so good, and of course it’s hard to prove a negative premise. I think the one real measurable is he is working on his 5 th year option and not a lucrative contract when Beane seems to find ways to sign big names/ impact p,Ayer’s he wants regardless of the cap. That is at least tangible. Is there really a huge doubt that he is probably the player that if off the field / injured , that most fans won’t believe our SB chances plummet because he is so irreplaceable!? Take Milano off the field and this D struggke.  Poyer is much more impactful , he just wasn’t a high draft pick and is getting on the wrong side of 30, yet I still bet Beane does something to keep him happy and I bet that happens before anything else with edmunds. 

This is his last year as a Bill IMO, There are faster , younger LBs who can cover ( how many picks has he had , 2 in 4 years? , and he lacks PBU’s “;because they don’t throw in his area” ( because they throw frosding routes in front of him as he always drops deeply and he lets wrs come to him and many times long 3 rd downs get converted as it’s hard to remember how many times he has blown up a guy after they catch in front of  him, which may also account for his lack of impressive FF numbers given his anazing “ size/ speed combination”!  Great kid , but he is never mentioned with all the great Bills LBs  like , Talley , Bennett, Conlan, Spikes, Spielman and even Ray Bentley was a harder hitter than Edmunds.

He will never be mentioned with great LBs like Lewis, Taylor, Urlacher etc, which is amazing given he is the QB of a  supposed #1 D!   The Bills won’t make that mistake again of drafting a Lb in round one , and just look to this year as they drafted Bernard and they don’t seem extremely concerned about their Lb depth should edmunds be out for any period.   He is a good player , good scheme fit, but his production will be replaced with a more cost effective version next year imo unless he has a career year of real plays, not based on  imaginary plays that didn’t happen because teams game planned to avoid running thru his zone coverage. Great character man, one of the least instinctive 6’5” LBs in Bills history. I would love to see how this D looks with a real “ Jack Lambert”:mentality mindset who plays the part  and isn’t out there just cuz he looks like he should be tough. Hard to trust it’s suddenly going to all click now after 4 years.   When you hear hoof Beats and turn around , it’s usually a horse and not a zebra , right? 😉  It is what it is, he is who we think  he is by now most likely. He is more cliche than wall of fame candidate. One thing is certain, the time for excuses has passed. ( yet I wonder the over / under on how many times we will hear “ he is still so young” ?   Time to let him.grow up on someone else’s SB window! ) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Interesting list has Edmunds and Milano as three and two, respectively, for all LBs in the NFL in terms of how they measure "defeats."

Poyer and Hyde and at the top of the safeties list. Ed Oliver way up there on the list for interior linemen, despite one post here who HAS NEVER BEEN WRONG OR CHANGED HIS MIND ABOUT ANYTHING telling us as recently as two days ago that Oliver is "overrated"...

Rent free.

We're using made-up stats from football outsiders to judge the performance of underwhelming players now? Like I said, Bills fans LOVE to overrate a guy who was taken with the 9th overall pick. A top 10 pick needs to have a clear, definitive, game-breaking impact on a pretty consistent basis. EO simply hasn't delivered that, and you know it.

"Defeats." That's a new one lol

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Rent free.

We're using made-up stats from football outsiders to judge the performance of underwhelming players now? Like I said, Bills fans LOVE to overrate a guy who was taken with the 9th overall pick. A top 10 pick needs to have a clear, definitive, game-breaking impact on a pretty consistent basis. EO simply hasn't delivered that, and you know it.

"Defeats." That's a new one lol

I realize that changing your mind based on external evidence isn’t part of your DNA, and I appreciate that you’re willing to be so public about being so wrong, so consistently.  I’d say “never change” but I don’t have to, you won’t (other than the occasional dork-morph into alter ego “Jaraxxus”).

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/26/2022 at 2:07 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Says the man who names himself Dooey.  The only thing Bruce is saying is as a leader you don’t belittle a coworker publicly.  You deal with it privately and have direct conversations.  I’ve been in management for a long time, and do not publicly criticize one of the persons I inherited or hired.  I’ll document their performance, coach, teach and performance manage, but that stays between myself and the employee barring having to discuss with his two over manager as they will provide feedback for the manager to see all sides.

This interview is much about nothing.  McD is not going to air to the world his thoughts on Edmunds.  If he has issues with Edmunds, he’ll consult with Beane, Frazier, and make a decision whether to extend or not.

Thats life in management.  I wouldn’t want McD to criticize Edmunds on national tv.  You’ll know what he thinks by what he does.  The same as the ST coach was fired after 13 seconds, and Wallace was not retained even though Pittsburgh did not exactly give him a high salary.  McD’s actions basically let all of us know there were mistakes made, and probably not the only ones so he moved onto a new coach, and different CB#2.

MGK - The issue I think is middle ground.  I have been in all levels of management and each of you make points that are correct.  The issue I have is Bruce said ~ there are guys I am praising in meetings that I fire the next week.  That is terrible management if you are praising a guy in front of his peers and then firing him the next week - it is a terrible look.

What you said is different - not criticizing a person in front of peers is very different than praising a co-worker or a player that you have issues with and want to move on from.

I think from McD - praise in the media is a real thing.  He does not heap praise out and when he does I think it somewhat means something.

On 7/27/2022 at 6:34 AM, Rochesterfan said:

MGK - The issue I think is middle ground.  I have been in all levels of management and each of you make points that are correct.  The issue I have is Bruce said ~ there are guys I am praising in meetings that I fire the next week.  That is terrible management if you are praising a guy in front of his peers and then firing him the next week - it is a terrible look.

What you said is different - not criticizing a person in front of peers is very different than praising a co-worker or a player that you have issues with and want to move on from.

I think from McD - praise in the media is a real thing.  He does not heap praise out and when he does I think it somewhat means something.

That’s fair Rochester.  Sometimes though when you lead team calls in sales as I’ve done for years and there are times for recognition of accomplishments and you in an obvious manner completely omit someone. As an example may be placing on a corrective action plan, which you probably know is the 30, 60, or 90 day plan really giving a guy a last chance to get his house in order before a PIP.  Everyone on the team gets the numbers so they know when a person has underperformed formed for over 6-9 months, you as a decent person try to find some positives for a guy.  It creates a morale issue for the team.

I’m fortunate to not have to do this frequently, but I spend a great Deal of time trying to train and support my teammates.  Unfortunately, some people work their way out of a job.

I agree though I would not give false compliments to a person I’m about to let go.  In McD’s case, we’ll never know as I’ve seen as am sure you as well coaches giving votes of confidence and then they are gone.  

I’m not an Edmunds hater or lover.  I see him as a solid player who underperforms at times and do not think he warrants a large contract extension.  If he accepts a team friendly contract, then ok.

For all the debate over Milano before his extension, Spotrac had his value at $13.75 mil./yr.  He took $11 mil. and in my eyes we extended him at a bargain.  I don’t see Edmunds worth $14 mil.

One more thing as I’m editing this response after getting some feedback.  Just like we’ve all listened to the national insiders and pundits talk about Tua as they have surrounded him with weapons and by year 3, he should be completely healed and know this system and NFL speed, if he can’t really flourish this year, it’s a miss.  I agree with this position on him. 

Well, we added some very tough anchors in the center of the D Line with Jackson, Settle, and Phillips.  We also added Von and the others in year 2 in GROOT and Boogy.  Edmunds has all the up front help he needs to not have Guards pushing him around.  If he can’t start making splash plays this year, that is enough info for me whether an extension is in his future.  We just upgraded the entire D Line so it’s time for Tremaine to shine.

I hope that clarifies my position.  I don’t see this to be some great vote of confidence due to some positive public feedback.  I also don’t dismiss it.  The bottom line for me is we’ll know of or when he’s extended.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.