I feel McDermott confirmed that Edmunds is a lock for an extension in interview today with NFLN

JerseyBills

13 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/sean-mcdermott-on-how-bills-can-accomplish-22-goals-training-camp-practice

Long story short, I guarantee Edmunds is a Bill for years to come. The staff and player's clearly love him and for McD to say his name above any other defender speaks volumes. 

He has been the QB for a top defense for multiple years. That's a fact 

I'm glad you started this topic, because I wasn't sure where else to post this.

Coaches are always going to feed you BS. Sometimes they say things just to motivate players. Sometimes they say things to drive up their value.

You know who I trust? The players. They talk openly.

In Jordan Poyer's interview with Tyreek Hill he says flat out "I see me a Micah as the quarterbacks of our defense."

This smells like coach-speak BS to me.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well this is sure to give many Bills fans nightmares now!  Couldn't you wait till morning to post this?

Personally I'm fine with it too.

Yup, it’s gonna be great fun watching  Edmunds extension happen at the same time a handful of fans minds explode, it’s gonna be a hoot, to watch those that will have their cute little tantrums 😂 it will be popcorn 🍿 time for sure…, and may even 🍸🚬…, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe I’m just being a homer but I really feel like with the reworked dline in front of him ‘Maine is going to go off this year. I feel the question is going to be not if we should resign him it’s going to be can we?  And I’m sorry I’m not willing to sacrifice edmunds to keep poyer if it comes down to that

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Maybe I’m just being a homer but I really feel like with the reworked dline in front of him ‘Maine is going to go off this year. I feel the question is going to be not if we should resign him it’s going to be can we?  And I’m sorry I’m not willing to sacrifice edmunds to keep poyer if it comes down to that

If Tim Settle and Ed Oliver improve our center DL that has to translate into Edmunds making a few more key plays, add in the pressure from DE's really has to be a career year for him

Interesting list has Edmunds and Milano as three and two, respectively, for all LBs in the NFL in terms of how they measure "defeats."

Poyer and Hyde and at the top of the safeties list. Ed Oliver way up there on the list for interior linemen, despite one post here who HAS NEVER BEEN WRONG OR CHANGED HIS MIND ABOUT ANYTHING telling us as recently as two days ago that Oliver is "overrated"...

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not listed in top players under 25. 

Leadership is not unimportant. But leadership without impact plays is not worthy of a top 5 contract which is what he will want. 

He's supposed to be a professional tackler. He doesn't do that well no matter how people want to spin his role on the team. 

The media has already moved on to other playmaking linebackers that are true impact players. 

All that said, he has 17 games to prove he can be an elite player and earn a top dollar contract. I'd pay Knox and Oliver and let Edmunds walk.  Hope he plays well enough to change my mind, because the defense is going to face far better offenses this season as compared to 2021.

not going through the whole thread (cause omg another Edmunds thread) but you know he has a better missed tackle % than Milano?  Impact plays are fine to criticize but he improved his missed tackle % last year.

Edited by YattaOkasan

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Seal the singer or the animal. Makes a big difference.

They look pretty much the same

2 hours ago, george c said:

Lots of weird hate for Edmunds.

Wow, he’s a very young kid playing behind a weak O line to date.

This year will surprise…

Is Edmunds going to be the super duper secret extra wide out everyone keeps talking about? 

surprised oh my GIF

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

If he took a deal similar to what Milano took + a larger signing bonus I'd be all over keeping Edmunds. 

He's a very unique LB in the NFL in terms of usage and measurables.  I don't know that he'd be easy to replace but I also don't think he commands a monster salary. 

Edmunds is not near the best at his position so if he's looking for top dollar he can leave. That said his skill set is difficult to replace as not too many LBs have his measurables yet to me we need a MLB who can shed blockers, seek out running backs and make tackles which Edmunds has struggled with at times. I haven't looked at UFAs this season but we did draft two LBs last season which to me should put Edmunds on notice.

Edited by The Jokeman

1 hour ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Even if Edmunds were to 'break out' I still can't see this team paying a LB big money extension given the salary cap situation they are up against in the next few years.

You can't keep everyone and at some point you have to be willing to move on and let certain players want.

But if McD is serious about all this than who really knows, just think it would be a big mistake given Edmunds body of work and proven failure in big games.

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Edmund's brother was waived by Pittsburgh, if the Bills were to sign him we can practically double OUR EDMUNDS THREADS :w00t:

That's crazy. Didn't realize. They must have been really down on him to straight up release a 1st rd pick still on his rookie deal..

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Interesting list has Edmunds and Milano as three and two, respectively, for all LBs in the NFL in terms of how they measure "defeats."

Poyer and Hyde and at the top of the safeties list. Ed Oliver way up there on the list for interior linemen, despite one post here who HAS NEVER BEEN WRONG OR CHANGED HIS MIND ABOUT ANYTHING telling us as recently as two days ago that Oliver is "overrated"...

Very interesting indeed.  This proves that Edmunds has a huge impact and value as a mlb and will definitely have a big market for his services.  It seems players, media and other fan bases think alot of Edmunds except for Bills fans. Thanks for the post

Terrell Bernard may be T Edmunds best addition to the defense. No disrespect to Von Miller intended.

Imagine having a 4-3 with two Milano's outside, or Milano and Miller, and Edmunds inside? A more standard 4-3, but with athletic cover LBs outside, or VM instincts to blow up any play?

I am no Edmunds fan, but what if he is a prototype 4-3 MLB in the modern game? Maybe our OLB other than Milano could not execute the defense so McDermott/Frazier went Nickel? Instead of covering 1/2 the field Edmunds was back to 1/3 the field? Less to read and diagnose, let the natural athleticism shine? I hate to say it, but Edmunds could thrive in a base 4-3.

What if the DBs took less of a beating each game stopping the run? T Johnson is brought in in clear passing situations. Still a top 10 nickel, but used as needed.

Poyer and Hyde can be assistant tacklers and try to strip the ball or complete the tackle, instead of being the first man to lay a helmet on a guy?

This is a lot to put on a rookie LB like Bernard, but he has a knack for rushing the passer (college tape), and is good at covering TEs so far (practices)

I wonder if Von Miller lines up at LB or DE or 'Elephant' like LORAX did?

Between Bernard and Miller, I expect to see a lot more 4-3 this year.

if Bernard can play, and the Bills utilize Von Miller properly, the Bills Defense became much more dangerous.

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Bobby Wagner just signed for 5/$50M.  The 5th highest paid off the ball LB by AAV is Edmunds at $12.7M (if you count his 5th year option as a 1 year deal and not part of his 5 year rookie deal).  Anyone arguing that he’s a top 5 MLB who is better than Wagner?

Bobby Wagner is 32 years old. Tremaine Edmunds is 24 years old. C'mon man, you have to be aware of how big of a factor age and tire tread is when it comes to signing a Free Agent. If that's the case, Jordan Poyer should get every penny (and probably more) that Minkah Fitzpatrick got.

And I think agreeing that the position as a whole league wide is in rough shape thanks to today's offenses/QBs and still calling him a "middle of the pack" MLB is really downplaying his value.

If you think a 24 year old, two time Pro Bowl MLB who has missed a total of 3 games in 4 seasons while being a playcalling Captain of the #1 Defense in the NFL is only worth "middle of the pack" money on the open market - I think you're WAY off base.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Um, I'm not sure that has the effect you think/hope it does...those other departments remember, other people in your team, across all levels remember.

Praising someone publicly in such a foundational way as how McD praised Edmund's core personality and the value/leadership they bring, and then firing them for their general performance (not talking fraud or anything) a month later...oof that would give me pause in the future and my antenata would go up anytime I heard praise from that person in the future as a potential red flag.

Kind of like free agents and current players remember. I'm not saying McD is talking about an extension at all, and you can think a player or person is a perfect fit for an organization, but the budget doesn't work, but you can't be disingenuous and succeed in the nfl as a coach or leader.

Saying someone is a great leader and then firing someone a month later for not being a great leader, and not extending a contract of a great leader when that person's value has gone up significantly because of that skill are not the same thing, you can't compare those. 

I don't think his personality and leadership stuff equates to being a physically dominant football player.  The other stuff is all fine and good.  But the guy needs to up his game several levels.  I would much rather have a guy who played like Daryl Talley (one mean SOB on the field) then a Tremaine Edmunds.  Just one guys opinion.  But I do hope Tremaine takes his game to the next level, and plays with a little more dog in him.  

29 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I don't think his personality and leadership stuff equates to being a physically dominant football player.  The other stuff is all fine and good.  But the guy needs to up his game several levels.  I would much rather have a guy who played like Daryl Talley (one mean SOB on the field) then a Tremaine Edmunds.  Just one guys opinion.  But I do hope Tremaine takes his game to the next level, and plays with a little more dog in him.  

Would you judge an elite cb just in terms of pass break ups and interceptions though?

What if he's so good the other team avoids him as much as possible?

What if instead, he plays zone a ton and because of his range and length, he is able to prevent people from taking deep shots and instead forces teams to take dump offs to the front part of that defenders zone. When the qb is forced to check down because of the player's ability to eliminate the chunk play they are trying to hit, they then tackle the check down for very little YAC at the same rate, or better as other players considered elite at their position?

Edited by HardyBoy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.