I feel McDermott confirmed that Edmunds is a lock for an extension in interview today with NFLN

JerseyBills

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

You make a good observation, and are probably correct. Coaches favorites are not always players favorites though. I have read lots of love from players for Josh.  Not sure I have ever really seen players speak about Edmunds in a similar manner. 

When White gave his interview upon signing his extension, he specifically named being able to play with Edmunds as a big reason he wanted to stay long term.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

So long as Tremaine is paid like his play dictates and not a top 10 MLB is paid at the position I think Bills fans would be fine with that. 

You mean the leader of this top ranked defense? I don't think McBeane care what armchair QBs think and good for them. Hope he gets paid.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

When White gave his interview upon signing his extension, he specifically named being able to play with Edmunds as a big reason he wanted to stay long term.

Never complains. He’s not a rah rah guy. Goes about his business. Always in shape. Biggest ILB in football. Athletic freak. Voted team captain of a Super Bowl contender. Hardly misses games. Plays hurt. Plays every snap. Never comes off the field of a number 1 defense. Calls the plays. 

There are people on here that think AJ Klein replaced Edmunds and made plays but the reality is he replaced Milano and made plays. We hated Klein vs Indy when he replaced Edmunds. The other game I believe was the Jets he replaced Edmunds and the defense dominated as predicted.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

You make a good observation, and are probably correct. Coaches favorites are not always players favorites though. I have read lots of love from players for Josh.  Not sure I have ever really seen players speak about Edmunds in a similar manner. 

In year 1 or 2 , the broadcast said his teammates think the world of him and Hyde called him a future Hall of Famer. I'll try to find a link

Found an article about it - https://blog.siriusxm.com/buffalo-bills-micah-hyde-tremaine-edmunds-nfl-football/

Edited by JerseyBills

50 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I'm in hospital admin, I've praised other members of my exec team in front of other departments and have fired them the same month. I would never throw one of my guys under the bus publicly. That being said, I think Edmunds will get extended.

You're proud of being two faced?!? Like other department heads won't remember the "praise" you gave to someone you fired later that month? Does it suck working with you? Before you answer, check with your team to see. Don't want to assume.

You all hate on Edmunds. But the fact is, MLB play league wide hasn't been great. It's why you all think he's just the worst while he made multiple Pro Bowls. Unless you have a Lavonte David, you'd be hard pressed to have anyone in the Middle that doesn't make you rip your hair out from time to time.

Today's offenses and QB's are constantly putting MLB's in unenviable positions. And we have a Defense that more often than not utilizes 2 LB's instead of most teams 3 and some teams 4. The margin for error is massive. And I think the haters are reading too much into the fact that his extension hasn't come yet as them being on the fence. I'd bet it's just as simple as they have his extension in mind for next year's books and were focusing elsewhere this season.

In fact, it wouldn't shock me one bit if while many of you are writing him off, they plan on Franchise Tagging him if they can't get a deal done before Free Agency next year.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

His tackle depth was better than Milano. I’m not sure what you mean he doesn’t tackle well? It’s better than most LBs. And he makes a lot of tackles so that should tell you something.

Edmunds grades poorly on analytic sites. I’ve never felt Edmunds was a consistent problem on defense. There are plays I watch back and think Edmunds could’ve been better but it’s not a that pops up often.

His coverage for me is hard to grade because he mostly covers space and not a man. Milano is typically used in that role. 

Edmunds lacks game changing plays. He’s mostly a space eater in this defense. That’s something that is hard to grade for me. I know analytic sites grade him poorly. 

I agree. We don't know what he truly is asked to do unless we see him in man to man coverage.  And when the QB throws tothe outside is that because Edmunds has the middle covered or for a different reason. There are multiple plays that it still appears he is blocked far down field and takes poor angles. 

The guy is a 4 year starter at MLB. If I've ever said he was terrible that was hyperbole. He is a competent MLB. Has he lived up to his draft status and has he earned a top 5 extension? I dont think so but I hope he earns it on the field this year. He's only 24 and a 5 year extension means they have MLB solved for most of the rest of the decade. I think they could find a cheaper rookie to do what he does and spend the dollars on Knox and Oliver. But if the cap goes up they can probably find room enough for all these guys. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree. We don't know what he truly is asked to do unless we see him in man to man coverage.  And when the QB throws tothe outside is that because Edmunds has the middle covered or for a different reason. There are multiple plays that it still appears he is blocked far down field and takes poor angles. 

The guy is a 4 year starter at MLB. If I've ever said he was terrible that was hyperbole. He is a competent MLB. Has he lived up to his draft status and has he earned a top 5 extension? I dont think so but I hope he earns it on the field this year. He's only 24 and a 5 year extension means they have MLB solved for most of the rest of the decade. I think they could find a cheaper rookie to do what he does and spend the dollars on Knox and Oliver. But if the cap goes up they can probably find room enough for all these guys. 

Here’s my argument. On almost every play we think Edmunds took a bad angle resulting in a long run the all pro safeties we have also took bad angles.

Lets also add this defense doesn’t give up much so those plays stick out. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here’s my argument. On almost every play we think Edmunds took a bad angle resulting in a long run the all pro safeties we have also took bad angles.

Lets also add this defense doesn’t give up much so those plays stick out. 

Let's just do what we did last year and watch the games and make assessments as best we can.  I enjoyed the near real time game assessments.  

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

You're proud of being two faced?!? Like other department heads won't remember the "praise" you gave to someone you fired later that month? Does it suck working with you? Before you answer, check with your team to see. Don't want to assume.

Says the man who names himself Dooey.  The only thing Bruce is saying is as a leader you don’t belittle a coworker publicly.  You deal with it privately and have direct conversations.  I’ve been in management for a long time, and do not publicly criticize one of the persons I inherited or hired.  I’ll document their performance, coach, teach and performance manage, but that stays between myself and the employee barring having to discuss with his two over manager as they will provide feedback for the manager to see all sides.

This interview is much about nothing.  McD is not going to air to the world his thoughts on Edmunds.  If he has issues with Edmunds, he’ll consult with Beane, Frazier, and make a decision whether to extend or not.

Thats life in management.  I wouldn’t want McD to criticize Edmunds on national tv.  You’ll know what he thinks by what he does.  The same as the ST coach was fired after 13 seconds, and Wallace was not retained even though Pittsburgh did not exactly give him a high salary.  McD’s actions basically let all of us know there were mistakes made, and probably not the only ones so he moved onto a new coach, and different CB#2.

He has not turned out to be as good as we had hoped when he was drafted but he has been a leading tackler on a top defense, almost never misses a game, has been the QB of a very good defense and pretty much never leaves the field.  You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes, you'll find, you get what you neeeeeeeeeeeeed. Maine ain't going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Micah Hyde calling Edmunds a future H.O.Fer - "Number one, he elevates throws for the safeties and for the inside guys so much, because he’s six … nine, it seems like,” Hyde said of the 6-5 Edmunds. “He’s able to get his hands up and whether he’s deflecting tips and overthrows or even making the ball elevate, it helps the safeties out. But then he’s sideline-to-sideline. Run plays, he’s quick as can be. We put him on a tight end, he’s able to hold his own. And he’s only going to get better.

So he pretty much plays the same role in the middle of the field as the Dutch Windmill obstacle at a putt-putt golf course.  And he can run sideline to sideline too (and be second man in a on the tackle well past the first down marker). 

I'm old school, so I guess I just need to adjust my paradigm of what a middle linebacker is in the Frazier defense and accept that Edmunds is a valuable piece of that squad. I'm trying.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

Allen is the QB.  He's going to get 100x the discussion anyone else is.  That who the whole team sees as its leader / face of franchise.  I don't think we see players speak about anyone in a similar manner; Hyde, Poyer, Milano, Diggs, Morse, Dawkins?? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.