Training Camp practice 7/24

YoloinOhio

On 7/24/2022 at 9:09 AM, The Wiz said:

Tre is on schedule

What does that mean?

That he's on schedule according to the trainers.  Good old McD answering the question without answering it. 

On schedule means between September and December. September is 9 months. Conservative timeframe is typically 9-12 months. Some players can return earlier than the 9 months with aggressive treatment.

Without any setbacks I think he’ll be ready to play in September. But I think the Bills will take it as slow as possible. Using a 4 week IR seems likely.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, boater said:

Schedule for an ACL is one year. TDW had his surgery 15 December. Draw your own conclusions.

Recovery generally takes about nine months. It may take eight to 12 months or more before athletes can return to their sports. 

He can return anytime between August thru December. So only Tre and the doctors will know when.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/acl-reconstruction/about/pac-20384598#:~:text=Recovery generally takes about nine,can return to their sports.

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

You have to be very anal to actually count how many times he said the word "again".. Who cares!?!

Again, you have to be very anal.

It wasn’t me, it came up on my feed. But I watched another interview and he said again like 10 times. 

16 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Don’t worry about that IF. OJ has demonstrated an ability to block more than he has demonstrated being a downfield threat as a pass catcher. From reports I believe Knox lines up out wide when they are both on the same side of the field. 

If you're right about Howard, and I am inclined to believe you, I like some of those mismatches. In my mind Diggs and Davis on the outside, Know against a linebacker, Howard to block, Cooks out of the backfield, and Josh's ability run to RPO or zone read plays offers a number of options to salivate over. 

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

An internet search suggests that the fastest recovery time is 6 months, 9 months is common, and it can take as long as 12.   

I'm not making any predictions, but we know that Tre has been getting the very best treatment, surgery through rehab.   So, if he was a normal case and has had no complications, my own conclusion is that we'll see him in October. 

Thanks for this. 

Obviously, I think we are very hopeful that this is an abnormally good case and that White is back to full speed come week 1. But I think we need to be prepared for the idea that he spends 4 weeks on the PUP list. It would also give some credence as to why some Bills players have been courting Joe Haden.

Haden, in my mind, is a lot like the a Josh Norman or Vontae Davis: a vet whose best days are behind them but maybe want one last splash. I would feel a whole lot better with Dane Jackson as my CB4.

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Thanks for this. 

Obviously, I think we are very hopeful that this is an abnormally good case and that White is back to full speed come week 1. But I think we need to be prepared for the idea that he spends 4 weeks on the PUP list. It would also give some credence as to why some Bills players have been courting Joe Haden.

Haden, in my mind, is a lot like the a Josh Norman or Vontae Davis: a vet whose best days are behind them but maybe want one last splash. I would feel a whole lot better with Dane Jackson as my CB4.

Yeah, maybe.   On the other hand, there are a lot of things that go into determining who you want to occupy roster spots.   Maybe, as some have been saying, Dane Jackson can be a solid #2.  Maybe the Bills know that they're building for the playoffs, not opening day, and by the time they get to the playoffs, they want Elam and Jackson to be seasoned starters/backups.  Maybe they don't want to take training camp reps away from those two and use them on a vet who won't be in the lineup in December.  

I'm not arguing with you.  I don't know or pretend to know.   I just think that although probably everyone agrees that Haden would be better in game 1 than at least one of the starting corners, that's not enough reason, alone, to add him to the team.  

McDermott always challenges his team.   I think he's going to challenge in game 1 by letting them realize that, just like in the playoffs last year, they'll have to play without Tre.  

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

if he is not in a red practice jersey than means fans can tackle him, right?

I’ll give you $50 to find out! 

Bail money, fines and court costs are on you, however, so I hope it’s not more than $50 total.  

Edited by Augie

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, maybe.   On the other hand, there are a lot of things that go into determining who you want to occupy roster spots.   Maybe, as some have been saying, Dane Jackson can be a solid #2.  Maybe the Bills know that they're building for the playoffs, not opening day, and by the time they get to the playoffs, they want Elam and Jackson to be seasoned starters/backups.  Maybe they don't want to take training camp reps away from those two and use them on a vet who won't be in the lineup in December.  

I'm not arguing with you.  I don't know or pretend to know.   I just think that although probably everyone agrees that Haden would be better in game 1 than at least one of the starting corners, that's not enough reason, alone, to add him to the team.  

McDermott always challenges his team.   I think he's going to challenge in game 1 by letting them realize that, just like in the playoffs last year, they'll have to play without Tre.  

That's fair. They did manage to have a very strong finish as a team without Tre. 

My concern is more that they had an easier end to the season that could have disguised how bad the problem was. Carolina and three games against the Patriots (including the wind game) were not ones where the Bills faced word beaters in the passing attack. Now, Tom Brady and Pat Mahomes make a lot defenses look silly and I think you have a point about giving roster spots to people who would not be back in 2023. I think you are probably right about what the Bills do, but I am looking at a first half of the season that has games against the Super Bowl champs, the AFC South division winner, Tyreek Hill, and the two biggest MVP rivals that Josh has this year (Mahomes and Rodgers). The idea that Haden wouldn't be here long term doesn't bother me as much compared to the idea of a recovering White, rookie Elam and Dane Jackson (who we hope is a solid #2)

If we want a high seed to really make a run, I find Haden a better investment to kick the tires on than Cody Ford.

On 7/24/2022 at 1:54 PM, smuvtalker said:

Me personally, I feel like this is the year McKenzie finally nails down the punt returner spot, AND takes one to the house during the regular season.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't have high hopes for him.  

If in fact he does become our full time KR/PR, and then I assume Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Shakir all lock up roster spots, who's on the outside looking in?  And how many receivers will the Bills carry?  

PR/KR can also be a DB or RB. Would like to see Cook try a few.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/24/2022 at 5:51 PM, nosejob said:

......But the bigger backs kill us. Taron cannot bring them down and they're usually in 3rd gear by the time he can close.

If McFrazier can't prepare for what is obviously coming from the likes of Pitt,. Balt. ,Cincy Tenn. as well as everyone else, we may see twice as many of the Colts, N.E outcomes. Bernard is gonna make a huge difference....providing Frazier is not too stuck in his ways or McD is too timid to take over.

BTW, 70% nickel will kill us in the 1st 4 games. 2/3s of the middle of the field to Milano's left will be the target area and even though I'm expecting....and very grateful for the Dline additions, 4 guys can't stop 6 and a back against a team Hell bent on running and T.O.P.

Another tactic I expect to see is timing passes against us. Teams are gonna try to unload quick to backs to beat our improved pass rush. We gotta run a 4-3 and even with Miller, we're gonna need to blitz more. 4-3 can disguise Milano blitzing.

Another way to say this is:

If Bernard is in the Milano mold. And he has a better pass rushing instinct (he does). And Bernard is a natural TE cover guy. Then Buffalo could go more 4-3 against the bully teams, and make life more difficult for them.

I am tired of seeing Johnson, Poyer or Hyde be the first helmet on a full steam ahead Henry, Taylor, or big QB. Johnson and Poyer have taken beatings with the unwillingness to go 4-3 against physical teams.

Maybe, just maybe, Bernard helps in that equation. I want more 4-3 this year against bully teams. It helps the run defense. It helps the stress on the 5 DBs. It may even help Edmunds by playing a natural 4-3 MLB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

That's fair. They did manage to have a very strong finish as a team without Tre. 

My concern is more that they had an easier end to the season that could have disguised how bad the problem was. Carolina and three games against the Patriots (including the wind game) were not ones where the Bills faced word beaters in the passing attack. Now, Tom Brady and Pat Mahomes make a lot defenses look silly and I think you have a point about giving roster spots to people who would not be back in 2023. I think you are probably right about what the Bills do, but I am looking at a first half of the season that has games against the Super Bowl champs, the AFC South division winner, Tyreek Hill, and the two biggest MVP rivals that Josh has this year (Mahomes and Rodgers). The idea that Haden wouldn't be here long term doesn't bother me as much compared to the idea of a recovering White, rookie Elam and Dane Jackson (who we hope is a solid #2)

If we want a high seed to really make a run, I find Haden a better investment to kick the tires on than Cody Ford.

I get that point.  I would guess that McBeane resist that kind of thinking because it is short-term, not long-term. They dislike giving reps to guys who aren't the future.  And if they agreed with you, Haden would be in camp already.  Only way he's coming would be if Elam shows he simply can't survive out there.

We will see. 

45 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Another way to say this is:

If Bernard is in the Milano mold. And he has a better pass rushing instinct (he does). And Bernard is a natural TE cover guy. Then Buffalo could go more 4-3 against the bully teams, and make life more difficult for them.

I am tired of seeing Johnson, Poyer or Hyde be the first helmet on a full steam ahead Henry, Taylor, or big QB. Johnson and Poyer have taken beatings with the unwillingness to go 4-3 against physical teams.

Maybe, just maybe, Bernard helps in that equation. I want more 4-3 this year against bully teams. It helps the run defense. It helps the stress on the 5 DBs. It may even help Edmunds by playing a natural 4-3 MLB.

I think your wish will be granted. 

On 7/26/2022 at 11:28 AM, RocCityRoller said:

PR/KR can also be a DB or RB. Would like to see Cook try a few.

Agree with you there.  According to all the reports coming out of camp so far, they say Cook has some eye-opening speed.  Even remember one person saying he appears to be the fastest guy the Bills have had in the backfield in quite some time.  Not only is that refreshing to hear, but it also gives me optimism that we might finally have some players back there that can finally push McKenzie, at least to a degree.  I'm sure McKenzie is plenty motivated to win the PR job, but there's really noone amongst the group, to me at least, that is making McKenzie lose any sleep over.  Plus, it's a dangerous position to play, opening the player up to SIGNIFICANT injury every time he touches the football.  So I'd be willing to bet good money that McKenzie ain't dyin to "win" that role.  I'd bet the house(Winnebago), the car(1968 Pinto hatchback), AND to make the pot even sweeter, throw in my ENTIRE life savings(all $ 47 dollars and thirteen cents). High rollin baby.  All jokes aside, this is already shaping up to be the best off-season in my life, and we haven't played a LICK of football.  God is so good, ALL the time.....

Now let's play some football!!!  GO BUFFALO!!

On 7/24/2022 at 2:32 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Josh at the podium

Imo, Warrow is embarrassingly weak with his questions in press conferences. He gets the opportunity to ask something but he’s completely unprepared to formulate a coherent thought into an intelligent question. Been this cringe worthy his entire time here.🤦‍♂️ Thankfully for him, he WRITES for a living and can be proofread before publication. juss sayin’🤷‍♂️

Fun times. Since you're "juss sayin," why not spell my name correctly.

Also, why not refer to which questions I asked to Josh.

Was it this one?
As you had some  downtime and you come here and see these camps are sold out. Every ticket it sold. Does it remind you quickly of the expectations that are on this team and on you and everything else?

Or was it this one?

What about this being the next step toward achieving your and this team's high expectations? Sean said, we're here to work. But the exptectations are out there, I think somebody said Vegas has the Bills the favorite to win the Super Bowl. How is this the next step toward achieving that?

How about this one?
You said, `You've got a new mindset.'  Can you expand on that? How has the mindset changed in some ways or maybe narrowed?

And the follow up (after he said, `We need to find a way.'):

Does that linger, the fact that this team hasn't found a way? You've found a way to get to a point, but you've not found the way to get to that. Does that linger?

Thanks for all the input. I'll be constantly hitting refresh awaiting your response, because, after all, you know better than me in how to do my job.

jw

On 7/24/2022 at 3:24 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I've told JW multiple times on here that it would be better if he prepared questions so they made sense when asked..........didnt' ask questions and then give what he expects to be the answer before he's finished asking..........not show up on Skype disheveled and then ask a babbling question that makes him look like he isn't prepared..........all that kinda' stuff.    He knows.   He's just big time like that.  

that warrow. what a loser.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.