Training Camp practice 7/24

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think this is 100% correct.

I think Cover 1 did a nice job after the regular season win in KC - showing how the Bills were mixing up the coverages, but doing a lot more tight man with White on the outside and Taron in the slot and then playing a more aggressive zone on the other side with much less space and tighter windows.  

It allowed Taron and White to play outside leverage and keep their eyes on the ball more and force the plays into the zones if needed and gave protection to Wallace.  It allowed Hyde and Poyer to move up and be more physical and limited Edmunds zone size allowing him to be more set.

The loss of White on Thanksgiving limited the ability to mix coverages as well as before.  Dane played well at times, but he was easily tricked by double moves and Wallace was just to slow.  That forced the Bills into standard 2 deep coverage to protect them - which they play very well, but allows really good QBs - Brady, Mahomes, etc to pick them apart.

I think they are hoping that Elam and White allow that same kind of switching of defenses to better match-up and perhaps better protect the weak spots by switching up where those weak spots are.  I think they believe aggression on the outside with talent will make the #1 defense even better this season.

Wallace was a big time liability in coverage.  He doesn't have the speed or athleticism to line up against starting NFL receivers.  (Pittsburgh will find that out quickly)  The Bills were able to cover up for Wallace because our safeties our excellent and read plays as well as any tandem in the league.  But against good QB's like Mahomes, Wallace was unfortunately exposed.  Hopefully Elam and White become a great CB duo on the outside w Johnson in the slot and Jackson getting some PT against 4 WR sets.

12 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Wallace was a big time liability in coverage.  He doesn't have the speed or athleticism to line up against starting NFL receivers.  (Pittsburgh will find that out quickly)  The Bills were able to cover up for Wallace because our safeties our excellent and read plays as well as any tandem in the league.  But against good QB's like Mahomes, Wallace was unfortunately exposed.  Hopefully Elam and White become a great CB duo on the outside w Johnson in the slot and Jackson getting some PT against 4 WR sets.

He is not a liability. He is just an average talent to be an NFL corner. He has some obvious physical limitations and so you have to play to protect against them. Levi is an off coverage, zone corner, who is remarkably disciplined at not getting greedy, keeping the game in front of him, keeping eyes on the quarterback, letting the short ball be completed if needs be but rallying to tackle. That was exactly what the Bills asked him to do, that was a role that suited his skill set and it is what he did. At times the Bills plan was "we will give you the short completion to Levi's side" that was where, by design of the defense, they wanted Quarterbacks to throw. Because the Bills scheme is predicated on making you put together perfect long drives without mistakes, penalties, sacks etc. Despite that in 4 years he only gave up 60% completion and 8 touchdowns. For comparison Tre gave up 53% completion and 6 touchdowns in the same period and Tre is a legit all pro. Levi's yards per completion were actually lower than Tre's, again - that is the design of the defense - Levi is giving you cushion and wants you to throw in front of him. 

I am not arguing Levi Wallace is a top corner. But he is a starting cornerback in this league in the right system because he absolutely understands his role, understands his limitations and doesn't try to do things he isn't capable of. Limited? Yes. Upgradable? Certainly. But a liability? That's not fair.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dr. K said:

I just re-watched the  Atlanta game from last season the other day, and Stevenson looked absolutely awful as the return man. He kept running into his own blockers or got blown up by the Atlanta tacklers. I remember seeing a lot of this in other games as well. He runs too upright, makes bad choices, and seems to have no vision of the field. 

Maybe he needs to open his eyes? 🤔

4 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I think you sort of implied the answer. Which is anyone who can hold onto the ball is an upgrade. We have a dynamic offense - I'm not taking return skills at the cost of ball security issues. 

I get you.  And I'm understanding what you, Shaw66, and several others have stated in that you'd prefer to just play it safe back there and not risk turning it over deep in our own territory.  

I guess the risk taker in me wants someone back there who is a threat to take it to the house the moment the ball is (securely) in his hands.  And to me, that guy is McKenzie.  Stevenson, for all his world class speed, just looks awkward and uncomfortable returning punts to me.  Something oddly unnatural about him at the position.  Perhaps Shakir can be the guy.  

But Shaw really broke it down for me in explaining how the way the game is set up today, there really just isn't much of an opportunity for big punt returns anymore, so with that said, I'm happy to have Hyde back there as the safe option until someone else can prove themselves reliable enough to earn the full time job...

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is not a liability. He is just an average talent to be an NFL corner. He has some obvious physical limitations and so you have to play to protect against them. Levi is an off coverage, zone corner, who is remarkably disciplined at not getting greedy, keeping the game in front of him, keeping eyes on the quarterback, letting the short ball be completed if needs be but rallying to tackle. That was exactly what the Bills asked him to do, that was a role that suited his skill set and it is what he did. At times the Bills plan was "we will give you the short completion to Levi's side" that was where, by design of the defense, they wanted Quarterbacks to throw. Because the Bills scheme is predicated on making you put together perfect long drives without mistakes, penalties, sacks etc. Despite that in 4 years he only gave up 60% completion and 8 touchdowns. For comparison Tre gave up 53% completion and 6 touchdowns in the same period and Tre is a legit all pro. Levi's yards per completion were actually lower than Tre's, again - that is the design of the defense - Levi is giving you cushion and wants you to throw in front of him. 

I am not arguing Levi Wallace is a top corner. But he is a starting cornerback in this league in the right system because he absolutely understands his role, understands his limitations and doesn't try to do things he isn't capable of. Limited? Yes. Upgradable? Certainly. But a liability? That's not fair.

Gunner I think you are one of the best posters on here, and I respect your football acumen.  But you are being very charitable about Wallace.  Is he absolute trash?  No.  But whenever a WR ran anything against him that was done the field or crossing over the middle in the intermediate zones, he could not keep up and was toast.  Anytime you are playing a scheme that is built around compensating for the deficiencies of one specific player, you are eventually going to have a big problem.  And that's what happened in the playoff game last year against KC. 

I am excited that we finally have a top athletic talent in Elam to pair w Tre White at CB.  Its a passing league.  We need to match up with guys on the boundary who can run.

On 7/24/2022 at 4:08 PM, Logic said:

If there’s one thing that long time Associated Press journalist John Wawrow needs, it’s advice from internet message board user BADOLBILZ. 🤣

Yes........like I said......he's big time.........that's exactly his attitude toward the fans........and that part of his job.

8 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know Scott was mostly joking, but I do want to make a note about the idea of running heavier sets.

Remember the 1st Chief's game last season? The Bills came out and pounded the ball against a Chief's defense that was not prepared for it. 

Any time that you can make a team one dimensional, you can start to get them off their game, and that's what happened mid-season last year. I know that the game has moved to the pass, and I am no advocating for a 50-50 or even a 60-40 pass/run split, but you have to at least threaten it for play action to work, and play action can kick start an offense. 

Plus, if OJ Howard can at least be a capable blocker, that leaves Knox free in the middle of the field in 2 TE sets. I absolutely want to see more of that.

Don’t worry about that IF. OJ has demonstrated an ability to block more than he has demonstrated being a downfield threat as a pass catcher. From reports I believe Knox lines up out wide when they are both on the same side of the field. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:09 AM, The Wiz said:

Tre is on schedule

What does that mean?

That he's on schedule according to the trainers.  Good old McD answering the question without answering it. 

Schedule for an ACL is one year. TDW had his surgery 15 December. Draw your own conclusions.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The difference the second time was they had to give cushion outside and, frankly, the line just didn't execute as well as it managed in the first meeting. But rushing 5 against Mahomes is a proven recipe for failure in any event. 

The idea of more of a bear front is something they have done on occasion, most notably at San Fran in 2020 when after the 49ers ran the ball right down the field to score on their first drive the Bills switched to the 5 man front, with Tremaine lining up on the edge and managed to shut the run game down for large parts thereafter. The other way for the Bills to get teams out of the run game against them though is to score on offense. See how much teams are willing to stick with it down multiple scores. 

Ok we can have different opines. If we can't get pressure or stop the run with 4, the Mahomes of the world will RPO us to death....and one more loss in the playoffs due to that or stupid 9-6 losses during the season will certainly mean a D.C coaching change. I'm afraid that's the one thing that's gonna keep us from the trophy. Pettine or Schwartz would make us unbeatable.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Mattymafia said:

Something I’ve never noticed before. Josh Allen says the word “Again” A LOT. 29 times in his first interview of the season. 

Has he created a new drinking game? 

You have to be very anal to actually count how many times he said the word "again".. Who cares!?!

Again, you have to be very anal.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, boater said:

Schedule for an ACL is one year. TDW had his surgery 15 December. Draw your own conclusions.

An internet search suggests that the fastest recovery time is 6 months, 9 months is common, and it can take as long as 12.   

I'm not making any predictions, but we know that Tre has been getting the very best treatment, surgery through rehab.   So, if he was a normal case and has had no complications, my own conclusion is that we'll see him in October. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.