Training Camp practice 7/24

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Me personally, I feel like this is the year McKenzie finally nails down the punt returner spot, AND takes one to the house during the regular season.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't have high hopes for him.  

If in fact he does become our full time KR/PR, and then I assume Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Shakir all lock up roster spots, who's on the outside looking in?  And how many receivers will the Bills carry?  

He did take one back against Miami in 2020. But as others have mentioned it’s everything before he secures the ball that’s the problem. If he fixes all that (big IF) I’m fine with him

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why is he the only one not wearing the helmet padding?

I was wondering by same thing. 

59 minutes ago, nosejob said:

......But the bigger backs kill us. Taron cannot bring them down and they're usually in 3rd gear by the time he can close.

If McFrazier can't prepare for what is obviously coming from the likes of Pitt,. Balt. ,Cincy Tenn. as well as everyone else, we may see twice as many of the Colts, N.E outcomes. Bernard is gonna make a huge difference....providing Frazier is not too stuck in his ways or McD is too timid to take over.

BTW, 70% nickel will kill us in the 1st 4 games. 2/3s of the middle of the field to Milano's left will be the target area and even though I'm expecting....and very grateful for the Dline additions, 4 guys can't stop 6 and a back against a team Hell bent on running and T.O.P.

Another tactic I expect to see is timing passes against us. Teams are gonna try to unload quick to backs to beat our improved pass rush. We gotta run a 4-3 and even with Miller, we're gonna need to blitz more. 4-3 can disguise Milano blitzing.

I agree with @John from Riverside  let them run. We’re gonna run 70%+ nickel cause we usually run 90%+ nickel. We have been decent against the run except for the super big runs. I think we get to more 4-3 (still not that much though) but it takes time as Bernard has to show he can handle the responsibility. Milano took a while to become a starter over Humber. But I get your excitement for Bernard. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

McD wants to force the run a lot more this year.🤮😈

1) It was the implementation of more 12 and 21 personnel last year that finally got the Bills out of their offensive rut. They stagnated in a major way trying to operate only out of 10 and 11 all the time.

2) Heavier personnel does not necessarily mean running the ball more. The main objective is to put the defense in a bind as to what personnel to use themselves. If they come out in base, you can spread the field and get matchups like Cook or Knox vs a linebacker. If they come out in nickel, you have an advantage in the run game. 10 and 11 personnel do not necessarily present the same “pick your poison” dilemma.

3) Practicing and implementing heavier personnel groupings does not mean they’re not still going to spend a lot of time in 10 and 11 looks. It just means they’re diversifying.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

Question for anyone who has parked in people's yards outside the campus.  I was thinking of bringing a wheelchair for my Dad when we go next week - are there sidewalks etc where a wheelchair can be easily navigated.  Would prefer this time to park there instead of dealing with the stupid school bus.  Also - is there an ADA section set up near the practice field - I've never taken notice in the past. 

So you can do 2 things one is park at the park and ride and show then your Ada pass and you can park there easy push up the hill to the first driveway.

Second is go to the upper driveway show security the Ada pass and park there it is a little farther to push a wheel chair

Pm me if you have other ?

12 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

He did take one back against Miami in 2020. But as others have mentioned it’s everything before he secures the ball that’s the problem. If he fixes all that (big IF) I’m fine with him

I was wondering by same thing. 

I agree with @John from Riverside  let them run. We’re gonna run 70%+ nickel cause we usually run 90%+ nickel. We have been decent against the run except for the super big runs. I think we get to more 4-3 (still not that much though) but it takes time as Bernard has to show he can handle the responsibility. Milano took a while to become a starter over Humber. But I get your excitement for Bernard. 

The problem is those type of mistakes tend to resurface at the biggest times of the game usually, not just with him but with players that have issues like that with ball security.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Will McDermott take them on a pre dawn run at like 5am tomorrow to some famous site and tell them if they don't come together right now then they will never come together like Remember the Titans?

That's all I want to know

LOL.  Maybe it's a run up Currahee.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

if you just look at his fumbles, it actually understates how bad he has been. He misplays a ton of balls too, which had led to near “touches” and muffs. It’s less of a fumbling issue with him, and more of a decision making problem. 

Oh definitely..........but you gotta' be careful about going too far into those kind of unmeasured stats when you have an anvil like his massive fumbling issues to anchor your point already.    McKenzie actually bobbled the punt return TD he had in the 2020 finale against Miami.   He fumbled in the preseason last year.   People who think he just had that one issue with the all-time-stupid fumble in the Indy game are incorrect.   He's a complete adventure handling the football on returns.

He'd likely be a top 10 returner both in terms of KOR and PR if he could be trusted with the ball.........but it's not like he'd be Andre Roberts level even if he could hold onto the football.........and he was pretty easy for the Bills to cut.........so it's not like they are missing on the next Devin Hester or something if they don't play him on returns.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

1) It was the implementation of more 12 and 21 personnel last year that finally got the Bills out of their offensive rut. They stagnated in a major way trying to operate only out of 10 and 11 all the time.

2) Heavier personnel does not necessarily mean running the ball more. The main objective is to put the defense in a bind as to what personnel to use themselves. If they come out in base, you can spread the field and get matchups like Cook or Knox vs a linebacker. If they come out in nickel, you have an advantage in the run game. 10 and 11 personnel do not necessarily present the same “pick your poison” dilemma.

3) Practicing and implementing heavier personnel groupings does not mean they’re not still going to spend a lot of time in 10 and 11 looks. It just means they’re diversifying.

Yes,  this what makes Davis a problem.  The best thing I heard was Shakir doing Woods/Kupp style motion to blocking.  

Just now, Mat68 said:

Yes,  this what makes Davis a problem.  The best thing I heard was Shakir doing Woods/Kupp style motion to blocking.  

Im very high on Cook.  The line can find a group early and stay together the offense coukd be filthy.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL.  Maybe it's a run up Currahee.

So hard for me to watch this with since all I can think about is Friends due to David Schwimmer and the dude from Office Space 🤣

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

McDermott special.  Give seniority the first crack.  Watching new comers and young guys take the spot.  No favors, no one given anything.  You earn a shot you get a shot.  Gotta make a shot.

Are you quoting Hamilton??

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.