You don't pay safeties, linebackers, or interior linemen.

unbillievable

11 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Poyer and Hyde are the foundation of our defense and have been since they arrived.  They can compensate for iffy CB play and I would love to see them both stay in a Bills' uni for a few more seasons.  They are both still playing at a very high level.  In an increasingly pass happy NFL you need to have a solid safety group.

That goal line INT of Hyde's against the Patriots in the playoff game last season is one of the greatest defensive plays I have ever seen.  

Agreed,  the trick is determining  when they are going to fall off the cliff and then move on the year before. They didn't appear to draft a replacement this year so I think they each get a 'real' year tacked on to their contracts with a few extra years to make the numbers work. 

Po has been quiet lately and appears calm, so my guess is Knox gets done first, then Poyer to make the cap numbers work.  Truman is on a prove it year. He either gets a mega extension, tagged or a thank you for your service meeting after this year. At the least, the Bills get a max effort season out of him as he tries for the mega deal-he may even hit the right hole this year once or twice.

Edited by Robert Paulson

3 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The one I disagree with you on is tight end. You pay elite tight ends (Kelce, Waller, Kittle, Andrews). There are just very few of them. Knox could put himself in that category if he keeps progressing.

Exactly, but the TE needs to perform at wr 1 or 2 level output. Knox has that potential. 

6 hours ago, TBBills said:

He was saying you don't pay them top money in the league... Edmunds and Poyer are not top money players. Poyer is in his 30's, Edmunds is...

Careful, there's a sizable and vocal "pay da man" crowd here who think Jordan drinks from the fountain of youth.

4 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The one I disagree with you on is tight end. You pay elite tight ends (Kelce, Waller, Kittle, Andrews). There are just very few of them. Knox could put himself in that category if he keeps progressing.

That is fair and yes, I'd pay all 4 of those guys. I would never have paid a Zach Ertz type who isn't a tight end in anything but name

2 hours ago, benderbender said:

This is Edmunds year to showcase that he’s got anything other than “wingspan” and “freak measurements.” If he does then pay him, if not, let him walk.

I'd probably let him go regardless.

It's a contract year and he's got Miller and a most likely improved Oliver and Groot. He most likely should have a very good year , plus I'm always weary of players that all of a sudden turn it on during a contract year a la Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This isn't knew. It is well known. There are exceptions to every rule, but in general they are the positions you do not commit big resources to. Add tight end and running back too. 

The top 2 paid TEs Kittle and Kelce have been to 3 combined SBs recently … not to mention Gronk and his success

If you have an all pro at TE you absolutely pay him… Keyword all pro

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The top 2 paid TEs Kittle and Kelce have been to 3 combined SBs recently … not to mention Gronk and his success

Chiefs also paid Mathieu and won their first SB

• Disagree 1

44 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

For sure you pay perennial all pro guys at any position. 

• unbillievable changed the title to You don't pay safeties, linebackers, or interior linemen.
8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That goal line INT of Hyde's against the Patriots in the playoff game last season is one of the greatest defensive plays I have ever seen. 

Yes it was!  Hyde is here through the next season.  Can't see how he stays longer.

Poyer is a tough decision.  If he wants 3 years for big money I don't see it happening.  2 years at a reasonable rate I would say Beane could live with it.

Beane has a much better idea of what the cap(s) will look like after the new TV contract is signed than we do so I'm leaving it on him.

Poyer's agent is in town so maybe we hear something soon.  I guess if nothing is done and he leaves that could mean something too.

I would love to see them both stay until their play drops off but..............

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Poyer and Hyde are the foundation of our defense and have been since they arrived.  They can compensate for iffy CB play and I would love to see them both stay in a Bills' uni for a few more seasons.  They are both still playing at a very high level.  In an increasingly pass happy NFL you need to have a solid safety group.

I saw that play again in a recent thread my god what a play Hyde made. Never seen a better pick than that and it gave me chills watching it again. Incredible play.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This isn't new. It is well known. There are exceptions to every rule, but in general they are the positions you do not commit big resources to. Add tight end and running back too. 

Exactly why we need to see Ed outperform this year 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Exactly why we need to see Ed outperform this year 

If Ed plays as he played last year it's a no brainer to pay him. He has had one disappointing season - his second. But he was pretty good as a rookie and he was excellent last year, especially down the stretch despite being surrounded by an under-performing group of teammates up front. 

• Agree 1

On 7/24/2022 at 4:30 AM, unbillievable said:

Cowherd explains how you build Superbowl contending rosters.

Should Buffalo let Poyer,  and Edmunds walk?

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed have some thoughts…. 

Also interior d linemen get paid handsomely and are worth it. 

don’t overpay players versus their value to the team, but sweeping generalizations about positions are just hot air. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.