You don't pay safeties, linebackers, or interior linemen.

unbillievable

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Cowherd explains how you build Superbowl contending rosters.

Should Buffalo let Poyer,  and Edmunds walk?

He was saying you don't pay them top money in the league... Edmunds and Poyer are not top money players. Poyer is in his 30's, Edmunds is...

21 hours ago, unbillievable said:

This isn't new. It is well known. There are exceptions to every rule, but in general they are the positions you do not commit big resources to. Add tight end and running back too. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This isn't new. It is well known. There are exceptions to every rule, but in general they are the positions you do not commit big resources to. Add tight end and running back too. 

The one I disagree with you on is tight end. You pay elite tight ends (Kelce, Waller, Kittle, Andrews). There are just very few of them. Knox could put himself in that category if he keeps progressing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The one I disagree with you on is tight end. You pay elite tight ends (Kelce, Waller, Kittle, Andrews). There are just very few of them. Knox could put himself in that category if he keeps progressing.

This is true with one caveat, all players mentioned are "weapons" who happen to play TE.

You don't pay a TE unless he is an elite pass catcher/ YAC guy.

4 hours ago, unbillievable said:

wow profound. Would have never known different positions have different comparative values if I hadn’t heard it from this clown.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Dallas Cowboys have refused to upgrade safety since Roy Williams left how’s that working out for them?
If you have an elite safety or duo like the bills have you do your best to keep them or use a high pick to make the transition easy.
Now Linebackers I kinda agree I think you can find quality backers all over the draft and free agency.  

GM of the year, he's not. He can be wrong, change his mind and still keep his job. Glad he's not building our team.

IMO, build up the middle. Both trenches and on defense, building up the middle. Someone is going to love working with Edmunds if we don't sign him.

2nd edit: he said a whole lot of nothing on this subject. 

Edited by Dopey

How much of this applies to position scarcity and quality of available replacements.

Anyone honestly arguing you wouldn't want prime Adrian Peterson on your team or Antonio Gates? To me, it's that there are very few of those players available and a very wide middle where the difference between the 25th best player and the 75th best player at the position is negligible.

Of course I also understand position importance, like you don't pay your kicker qb money, but I watched the Cowherd clip when it was first on YouTube and you pay Dawson Knox.

Also, people are wrong on Edmunds...same people who were wrong on Allen, Knox and Oliver. You're like polar bears on ever shrinking ice caps...

Ya better pay them something more than minimum, ( I’m not saying give the house away of course) but when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, this getting great play for vet minimum type wages is a fallacy, that sort of wage is for backups, not starters, players who take vet minimum aren’t top players at the position your trying to fill on a top team.

Also remember the salary cap is just accounting, and can be manipulated in all number of ways, look at the Rams or many other teams for that matter, jmo, feel free to disagree at your leisure. 

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The way the teams are paying for QBs, this might literally become true.

"You're a linebacker?  OK, sign on the 6 month contract, you get 3 square meals a day, Uber service, and an efficiency apartment.  Pay?!  That IS your pay!"

🙁

But is the toilet “low flo” too? 🤔

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

wow profound. Would have never known different positions have different comparative values if I hadn’t heard it from this clown.

Unfortunately,  it's important to repeat the "proven obvious" and not just assume that people remember.    If you don't know your past you don't know your future.   Look no further than the Seattle Seahawks.........won the SB with the youngest team in the entire NFL........and their SB contender status was over in just a few seasons in great part because they paid a RB, LB's and Safeties top dollar.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

Also, people are wrong on Edmunds...same people who were wrong on Allen, Knox and Oliver. You're like polar bears on ever shrinking ice caps...

No you are wrong no one wants to save them.   Go Extinct! Go Extinct! 

Reminds me of a jumper on Wilson Bridge  who held up traffic for miles.  People got out of cars after being stuck for hours and yelled "Jump! Jump!"

Poyer and Hyde are the foundation of our defense and have been since they arrived.  They can compensate for iffy CB play and I would love to see them both stay in a Bills' uni for a few more seasons.  They are both still playing at a very high level.  In an increasingly pass happy NFL you need to have a solid safety group.

That goal line INT of Hyde's against the Patriots in the playoff game last season is one of the greatest defensive plays I have ever seen.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.