Late to the Party

unbillievable

What time do you normally show up to a party?

My family and in-laws are different.

My family makes plans at a certain time,  everyone shows up and it's done in a couple hours.

The in-laws make plans, people show up anywhere from 3 to 5hrs late. Who knows when it will end.

Which do you prefer?

Me personally I TRY to be prompt if it is a dinner invitation. For a party though I go by the hours listed.  If the hosts say 12pm-6pm for an afternoon event  a few will be on time but most people will trickle in most by 2pm. Its an open house style party.

If it scheduled in the evening I think I tend to be closer to on time to arrive. Leave is up to choice

I am fine with either.  The issue I have had recently is folks are having such a good time you practically have to kick them out. Subtle hints don't work. 

2 hours is a nice event. 3 hours is pushing and 4 hours after arrival its time to call em an Uber. Unless they can walk home. Too much fun is a thing LOL

m

First job out of college was in banking and had a lot of retired military types as clients. If it says 5:00pm-7:00pm, you arrive exactly at 5PM, and if you were there at 7:05pm it was VERY bad form. (And you always over-dress! They will all have on a coat and tie.) More recently, for a work dinner at the owners house I arrived 10 minutes after the “start time”, thinking it might be too soon. I was the second to last one to arrive out of 40-50 people. 

That’s not my style at all, so you need to be aware of the crowd. People will show up at our house an hour late, and that’s just fine. Just don’t be too mad if you arrive super late and we ate without you! Parties at our house end when the last guests leave, whenever that might be. 

So, just like with your family, different strokes for different folks. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

The in-laws make plans, people show up anywhere from 3 to 5hrs late. Who knows when it will end.

Which do you prefer?

This option.  Life is too short to have set party rules... I was born on a Sunday afternoon...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Hosted a pool party for the in-laws and she put 1pm on invite.

She called me crazy for having everything prepared by 1pm. Food hot, Drinks cold.

The first member of her family showed up at 3pm. Food cold, Ice melted.

The last member showed up at 6pm. Food and Drink choices were sparse.

Finished when it got dark, 8pm. They had ordered more pizza then finally left when everything was gone.

I took a nap from 5 to 7pm.

Not looking forward to cleanup Sunday....

Edited by unbillievable
  • Haha (+1) 2

I just had a party few weeks ago.  Start time was 4pm.

One person showed up at 3:45pm.

A handful showed up before 4:15pm.

Most attendees were here before 5pm.

The guy who showed up early was also 2nd last to leave and that was around midnight.  This guy will do anything to not be home with his wife.

The last person to leave was gone by 12:30am.

On 7/23/2022 at 5:23 PM, unbillievable said:

What time do you normally show up to a party?

My family and in-laws are different.

My family makes plans at a certain time,  everyone shows up and it's done in a couple hours.

Which do you prefer?

interesting topic! 

I have discovered that as I get older, I am starting to be more obsessive over being on time to parties. It’s weird— I feel like I have to get there right on time.

Part of it is not being rude to the hosts, and also part of it is giving me a good basis to make an early exit if I want to.

I usually aim to arrive 10-15 minutes after the party is scheduled to begin.  Just my preference.  I don’t like being one of the first to arrive, but I also don’t want to be rude.  If I get invited to a party and know that I’m going to be 1 hour or more late I will let the host know.

• Agree 1

Most of my and my wife's friends, a start time is merely a suggestion. So if someone says we'll get going around 6, if someone shows up at 8, it's all good. We know there's work, kid, or other commitments that would prevent most people to get there right at the start time. So we just say to start showing up at such in such a time but just get there when you can.

57 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Most of my and my wife's friends, a start time is merely a suggestion. So if someone says we'll get going around 6, if someone shows up at 8, it's all good. We know there's work, kid, or other commitments that would prevent most people to get there right at the start time. So we just say to start showing up at such in such a time but just get there when you can.

So your friends all work for the cable company?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.