Jerry Sullivan weighs in on 2022-23 season !

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Their offense needs to be more consistent… They lost just about all of those games because their offense struggled to put up points and score TDs…. I’d put that way above their struggles to stop the run as a reason for their losses.

While true for some games during the season. Steelers 16-23, Jaguars 6-9, Colts 15-41, Patriots 10-14. They also lost to Tennessee 31-34 and Tampa Bay 27-33 in OT. 

In particular that Jags game in scoring only 6 points against the worst team in the league over the last few years was inexplicable in my view. Four sacks, three turnovers. 12 penalties on Buffalo for 118 yards. Not to mention that it showed that Josh Allen can still be bullied by a strong pass rush. A great defensive effort by Jacksonville, a poor offensive effort by Buffalo. 9 rushes for 22 yards by Bills RBs...

That Colts game though, 46 rushes for 264 yards, 4 TDs on the ground by Indy with 37:47 ToP vs 22:13 for Buffalo showed that they can play keep away from Allen. It also helped that Buffalo had 4 turnovers with 3 INTs, 1 fumble by Allen. 

The Patriots vs Buffalo in their first game, 46 rushes for 222 yards, 1 TD for NE. Granted this was in a windstorm in Buffalo. 

My concern here is based on the Bills will face many teams that will attempt to run the ball more often rather then face that top Buffalo defense against the pass that they had in 2021. Now with Von Miller in the fold it should be even more difficult for opponents to throw against Buffalo.

Besides that, Miami with a new HC that is from the 49ers who was their run game coordinator in San Fran. The NY Jets with new RB Breece Hall and considering what Buffalo did to their rookie QB last season. They also face noted running teams in the Titans, Ravens, Steelers early on. We also know that NE has some good RBs.

I don't ever want to see another game like that Colts game loss 15-41 with Carson Wentz at QB who only threw for 106 yards!

Its my hope that Buffalo did enough in the off season to shore up that run defense. We should know early because the Bills face the Colts in the preseason, week one. 

• Agree 1

On 7/23/2022 at 5:44 AM, YoloinOhio said:

First of all I had no idea that he was with the Niagara gazette now and I’m not giving his article a click. But his headline isn’t wrong. I’m not a professional skeptic but I do think they will be challenged, not sure anyone has said they won’t be. Lining up for the parade is a bit dramatic, has he met bills fans?? Excited, yes, we deserve to be. But the fans are realistic imo. 

I agree.  Yes we're excited and extremely optimistic,  but we're hardly lining up for a parade or pretending to polish our imaginary Lombardi.  This team will have to execute,  especially the defense. 

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree.  Yes we're excited and extremely optimistic,  but we're hardly lining up for a parade or pretending to polish our imaginary Lombardi.  This team will have to execute,  especially the defense. 

We aren't doing anything the national media isn't doing.  We are the favorites.  You still have to win it. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The reason being that the News were wusses. 

This column is totally reasonable, particularly as he points out that he picked 'em for the SB last year. That could make you a little gunshy the year after.

Or maybe they realized they didn't need him because they are the Buffalo News. Looks like they haven't skipped a beat since he left either, so the "wusses" comment is just salt in the wounds. He said Josh's skills regressed and that's just dumb. Honestly it reads like he spent 10 minutes writing it. 

On 7/23/2022 at 8:26 AM, HOUSE said:

Sullivan: Super Bowl no lock for Bills, who will be challenged this season

I’m back to my default position as a professional skeptic. Someone has to do it. Judging by the gleeful mood among Buffalo fans, you’d think they were already lining up for the parade.

image.png.8e8cf1551a89db5b964f20339d7546cc.png

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/sullivan-super-bowl-no-lock-for-bills-who-will-be-challenged-this-season/article_742f8dfa-09fe-11ed-9a97-832f47fc0ee1.html

Meh … he makes som valid points.  (I like McDermott - so take this next comment in that context).  I agree that McDermott was out-coached in the KC game.  The last 13 seconds was an abomination and stain on his otherwise solid record.  Now way does a Bellicheat team fold like that.

OK that’s off my chest and it is a new season.  I am looking forward to it.

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing columnists like Sully are good for is giving my cockatiel a good laugh...and a place to take a dump.   

He's got no access, no sources and the equivalent of drunk-on-a-barstool insights.    The only thing that's ever kept him in the game is his mastery of 20-20 hindsight and the fact a sizeable percentage of Buffalo area sports fans have no ability to remember / retain anything he's ever written or said.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I didn’t realize Jerry Sullivan was still working in the Western New York market? I thought he was fired along with Bucky Gleason for being too negative and costing the Buffalo Newspaper subscription sales? Either way who cares they are both irrelevant I didn’t even know Jerry Sullivan was still working in WNY market anymore in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I didn't even read the article, so I have no clue what it says, but Imo the defense has alot to prove this season. While the bills were part of one of the greatest NFL games ever (kc divisional round last year), they blew a lead and lost a very important game with 13 seconds left. This bills defense needs to be absolutely nasty this season. On top of that, the offense needs to be better in areas and also not hit a stumbling block having a new oc. The bills have every oppertunity to get to the superbowl this season, but it took Peyton Manning (6?) years to finally get there. This season is not the end all be all

Edited by Steptide

On 7/23/2022 at 7:44 AM, YoloinOhio said:

First of all I had no idea that he was with the Niagara gazette now and I’m not giving his article a click. But his headline isn’t wrong. I’m not a professional skeptic but I do think they will be challenged, not sure anyone has said they won’t be. Lining up for the parade is a bit dramatic, has he met bills fans?? Excited, yes, we deserve to be. But the fans are realistic imo. 

The hype train has definitely left the station after last years last game & although with good reason Bills Mafia has every reason to be stoked for this season to get started with the talent & the new coaches that they have brought in but i hate it when all eyes are on the Bills .

That being said how can they not be this team has it going on but it is the NFL & there are a bunch of other teams that look really good to then thee are those that don't that can have 1 game like the Jags game last year or if the Bills come out flat like they seemed to in that game .

So although i am as stoked as the next guy i'm going to temper my SB expectations if the 90's taught me anything it was until the fat lady sings anything can happen .

But Jerry has never as long as i've known about him really said anything good about the Bills he's always been Debby Downer . In some cases he has had good reason but i'm going to stay away from his bad ju ju & stay positive .

GO BILLS !! 

I just don't understand people like Jerry. It's like he consistently aims to be "that guy" who wants to be the party pooper. Wants to be the one to say, "Derp, well. ACKSHUALLY..." and it seems very apparent that he relishes being in that role. Good lord, man. Go outside or something. 

On 7/23/2022 at 11:35 AM, Beast said:

I just have a serious dislike for this guy. Eapecially after last years loss to the Patriots.

I liked how he casually included this in the article: 

Fans tend to overlook the fact that there were some disheartening losses last season, or that there was legitimate concern about them simply making the playoffs when they lost at home to New England on an embarrassing Monday night in December and fell to 7-6.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Fans tend to overlook the fact that there were some disheartening losses last season, or that there was legitimate concern about them simply making the playoffs when they lost at home to New England on an embarrassing Monday night in December and fell to 7-6.

There were a lot of people who were disillusioned and embarrassed after that loss.   

Might have been the angriest crowd I have ever seen leave the stadium..........fans were absolutely furious with the team...........talking about how the season was a failure and how McD was still Belichick's b!tch and how embarrassed they were in front of a national audience and the team should be for that performance etc..

So........he's correct.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Fans may tend to overlook that embarrassing loss on national TV because the fluke of that loss was exposed in the subsequent regular season rematch and then the literally perfect offensive performance in the playoff game. NE*** embarrassed themselves in those games far more than the Bills did in the Monday night game. Unless of course not forcing a punt in two consecutive games is nothing to be embarrassed about. 

On 7/24/2022 at 12:27 PM, Nihilarian said:

While true for some games during the season. Steelers 16-23, Jaguars 6-9, Colts 15-41, Patriots 10-14. They also lost to Tennessee 31-34 and Tampa Bay 27-33 in OT. 

In particular that Jags game in scoring only 6 points against the worst team in the league over the last few years was inexplicable in my view. Four sacks, three turnovers. 12 penalties on Buffalo for 118 yards. Not to mention that it showed that Josh Allen can still be bullied by a strong pass rush. A great defensive effort by Jacksonville, a poor offensive effort by Buffalo. 9 rushes for 22 yards by Bills RBs...

That Colts game though, 46 rushes for 264 yards, 4 TDs on the ground by Indy with 37:47 ToP vs 22:13 for Buffalo showed that they can play keep away from Allen. It also helped that Buffalo had 4 turnovers with 3 INTs, 1 fumble by Allen. 

The Patriots vs Buffalo in their first game, 46 rushes for 222 yards, 1 TD for NE. Granted this was in a windstorm in Buffalo. 

My concern here is based on the Bills will face many teams that will attempt to run the ball more often rather then face that top Buffalo defense against the pass that they had in 2021. Now with Von Miller in the fold it should be even more difficult for opponents to throw against Buffalo.

Besides that, Miami with a new HC that is from the 49ers who was their run game coordinator in San Fran. The NY Jets with new RB Breece Hall and considering what Buffalo did to their rookie QB last season. They also face noted running teams in the Titans, Ravens, Steelers early on. We also know that NE has some good RBs.

I don't ever want to see another game like that Colts game loss 15-41 with Carson Wentz at QB who only threw for 106 yards!

Its my hope that Buffalo did enough in the off season to shore up that run defense. We should know early because the Bills face the Colts in the preseason, week one. 

Good points.  My take is that every AFC-E team will be better.  I think Pats and Fins will run on us and may win one.  One of those two will get wildcard.  They can beat the other strong AFC teams (Chargers, Colts and Titans and Baltimore).  We better be ready and healthy each week.  Go Bills 🦬

23 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Weird that they picked that one as the embarrassing loss.  I didn't find that really all that embarrassing.  Anything can happen in weather like that.  The one I hated was the loss to Jacksonville.  We should never lose to a team like that.  Also 13 seconds.  We should never lose in that situation.  Team lost focus thinking they had it wrapped up.  I wouldn't say that one is embarrassing either but we still shouldn't even lose in that situation.

17 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Good points.  My take is that every AFC-E team will be better.  I think Pats and Fins will run on us and may win one.  One of those two will get wildcard.  They can beat the other strong AFC teams (Chargers, Colts and Titans and Baltimore).  We better be ready and healthy each week.  Go Bills 🦬

A lot of good AFC teams this season.  I don't think the Pats or Miami have what it takes to get a WC this season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.