Jerry Sullivan weighs in on 2022-23 season !

9 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He is now in Niagara Falls for a reason......

… Sleeps with the fish…, 

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Maybe so, but he has been right far more than he has been wrong. And fans have hated him for it.

Stop with the truth about Sully already, 😂

This article is an embarrassment. Any given Sunday. We out of any fanbase would know nothing is guaranteed in this league. I’ve had enough heartbreak watching this team.

With that said we have a damn good team and a damn good quarterback. It won’t be easy beating the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by Rampage
  • Like (+1) 1

Personally, I am glad Jerry set me straight. I can now look at the season realistically with no hyped up plans. Should the Bills whiff and miss the playoffs I can be happy I was warned rather then feel soooooo foolish.

A parade down Main st would have been cold in February anyway...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Sullivan has been one of the best sports writer in this city for a decade. Buffalo fans like their sports writers to be unabashed homers, and drove the News to can him. Sullivan's analyses was spot on in every respect. The Bills 2021 schedule was maybe the easiest in teams history and they were 7-6 after 13 games!! If any sports writers from Boston, Philly, or New York ever landed in Buffalo, Bills fans would be hiding under their blankets. I like having the Bills in the national spotlight, as it's been almost 3 decades since the Bills were relevant. If the Bills get off to a slow start (I real possibility), the fickle national media will turn on the Bills. I also worry that the Bills will take a step back this year.         

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

First of all I had no idea that he was with the Niagara gazette now and I’m not giving his article a click. But his headline isn’t wrong. I’m not a professional skeptic but I do think they will be challenged, not sure anyone has said they won’t be. Lining up for the parade is a bit dramatic, has he met bills fans?? Excited, yes, we deserve to be. But the fans are realistic imo. 

I am in the same boat.  I haven't really enjoyed the Josh Allen World Tour or the massive publicity.  The difference with Sullivan is its personal and predictable.  

Disregarding the author I think these are all legit questions that keep some Bills fans up at night. The final point on McDermott is true of any coach that has never won the big one. To McDermott’s credit his quote on this 2022 Bills team will be judged by how they perform week by week, is accurate.

As a title favorite the Bills can show their preseason accolades right out of the gate Week 1 on the road against the defending champs. 

19 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Wow. You're granting Sullivan a lot of power, that he does not have.

It's that "Journalists = BAD" thang, goin' around, that makes people irrational.

It's comical, on some level...

The short answer, is (((((( "WHO CARES?" ))))))

"For those that believe in that sort of thing."

You don't. Congrats. 

42 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Disregarding the author I think these are all legit questions that keep some Bills fans up at night. The final point on McDermott is true of any coach that has never won the big one. To McDermott’s credit his quote on this 2022 Bills team will be judged by how they perform week by week, is accurate.

As a title favorite the Bills can show their preseason accolades right out of the gate Week 1 on the road against the defending champs. 

I’m a skeptic of mcd. Is he the dungy type coach that got canned from the bucs so they could win and then won a super bowl against Rex grossman? Is he a program builder or a stone cold killer like bill b is? Hope he becomes the latter this off season 

1 hour ago, Ross Murdock said:

Sullivan has been one of the best sports writer in this city for a decade. Buffalo fans like their sports writers to be unabashed homers, and drove the News to can him. Sullivan's analyses was spot on in every respect. The Bills 2021 schedule was maybe the easiest in teams history and they were 7-6 after 13 games!! If any sports writers from Boston, Philly, or New York ever landed in Buffalo, Bills fans would be hiding under their blankets. I like having the Bills in the national spotlight, as it's been almost 3 decades since the Bills were relevant. If the Bills get off to a slow start (I real possibility), the fickle national media will turn on the Bills. I also worry that the Bills will take a step back this year.         

Don’t think you have to worry just about the national media turning against the Bills with a slow start. After the Bills lost to the Steelers just last September there where people throwing Josh Allen jerseys on the highway didn’t look to smart by the end of the season.  

The only concern I don't agree with him on in his column is if that contract issues might impact team chemistry.  Players are well aware it's a business.  The rest of his concerns are legitimate.  I wish he would've gotten a little more technical and mentioned lack of depth behind Diggs and Davis on the outside.  Also, likely starting the season without Tre White forcing us to start two young guys against the Rams and Chiefs.

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Personally, I am glad Jerry set me straight. I can now look at the season realistically with no hyped up plans. Should the Bills whiff and miss the playoffs I can be happy I was warned rather then feel soooooo foolish.

I never thought about it, but this must be how the traditional Burning of the Couches ceremony began! So obvious…..   🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie

12 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Hold it in LA?  Probably more Bills fans than Rams fans. 🤔

23 hours ago, HOUSE said:

He is now in Niagara Falls for a reason......

The reason being that the News were wusses. 

This column is totally reasonable, particularly as he points out that he picked 'em for the SB last year. That could make you a little gunshy the year after.

21 hours ago, chris heff said:

Sullivan has made a career out of being a pessimist. He calls himself skeptical, but I don’t think he ever believed in the Bills. It wasn’t exactly going out on a limb being pessimistic about the Bills and Sabres over the last few decades. I prefer to be optimistic probably to a faulty. I find it too exhausting to be pessimistic. Being skeptical is at times prudent and not as exhausting. In this article Sullivan has six points only two have some validity, “Is the defense as good as its record?” and “Is Sean McDermott a Super Bowl head coach?”. The defense was good when playing with a lead, the run defense was at times terrible. The interior of that line needs to be better, hopefully the new additions will help that. McDermott has to own that “13 seconds”, that was bad coaching. We can try and place blame elsewhere, but that’s obfuscation. I like McDermott, but he has to win the big one. 

Jerry's never believed in the Bills? Despite picking them to make the Super Bowl last year? Despite having Cam as the leader for Coach of the Year seven games into the Trent season? 

Nonsense. 

He has covered them through a truly awful period. He is indeed skeptical and a pessimist. Call him a curmudgeon as well. But when they have looked good, he has had no problem acknowledging it. 

13 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Oh, so Jerry predicted missing the playoffs?

Oh, wait, he didn't. Yet another of the constant stream of straw man arguments we see on here so often.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

All I've ever wanted is a team that realistically COULD win it.  We had too many years of teams that would have no chance whatsoever, even if they snuck into the playoffs somehow.

This team has an excellent chance.  We happen to be peaking at a time when there are a lot of good QB's and teams, but the opportunity is still there.  Of course it's no "lock."  If it wasn't a lock for the '07 Pats or '01 Rams, it's not a lock for anyone.

Want to hear a funny joke?

This guy was so terrible that he went from writing at a major newspaper to doing articles for the Niagara Gazette that parody his own negativity.

Bills are Super Bowl favorites, Josh Allen is the MVP favorite, and he still finds a way to be miserable. What a wonderful life!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.