Jerry Sullivan weighs in on 2022-23 season !

20 minutes ago, patzen said:

The article wasn't that bad tbh. He thinks we're gonna go 12-5, win the East and then lose in the playoffs. I'm optimistic because this is easily the best roster the Bills have had since the glory days and most everyone I've talked to thinks Josh will win at least one SB in his lifetime, but yeah, it's the NFL. Things happen and it's tough to win. 

It's easy for Bills fans to be very optimistic about the upcoming 2022 season as the Bills do have the best young QB in the league IMO.

Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert are also right up there with the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes now. Me? I think Allen is the best after what the kid did to the Patriots in that playoff game...47-17. Wonder If the hoodie still thinks Allen is trash?

Anyway, look closer at the Bills last season to realize that last years team really played very poorly in several games. That Jags 6-9 loss hits me first...how on many levels? The literal drubbing by the Colts 41-15 tells me that even though the Bills defense was statistically number one overall...they stuck it up big time many times during last season.  

Look who they beat last season to garner that #1 overall defensive ranking. 

WK 1)Loss to the Steelers 16-23. 

WK 2)The Dolphins by knocking out the starter in Tua and destroying backup Jacoby Brissett!

WK 3)Beating Washington 43-21 because they faced backup QB Taylor Heinicke!

WK 4)Houston with Davis Mills at QB, 40-0 rating of 23.4...like facing Nathan Peterman.

WK 5) Chiefs 38-20 with Mahomes still reeling from that SB loss to the Bucs.

WK6) Tennessee, close loss 31-34.

WK 7) BYE

WK Eight) Miami, Tua showing he was not ready to face a good team.

WK 9) Jacksonville. 6-9 loss How the eff??? To a rookie QB who threw for 118 yards.

WK 10) NY Jets with Mike White at QB...who?

WK11) Indy Colts rushing 46 for 264 yards, 4 rushing TDs. Wentz threw for 106 yards!!

WK12) NO Saints, Trevor Siemian at QB...who? threw for 163 yards

WK 13) Patriots, loss to a rookie QB in Mac Jones who threw for 19 yards!!!

WK 14) Bucs, 33-27 loss in OT Buffalo came alive in the second half.

WK 15) Carolina, faced a washed up Cam Newton. who threw for 156 yards. 

WK 16) NE, the rookie again who threw for 145 yards.

WK 17) Atlanta, sacked Matt Ryan 5x. 

WK 18) NY Jets with the real rookie QB starting in Zack Wilson who went 7 of 20 for 87 yards. 

sacked Zack 9x!! 

Buffalo finished 11-6...when they could have easily beaten the Jags and finished 12-5 like Tenn, KC. Or, if Tremaine Edmunds isn't alone on pass coverage against Bucs WR Breshad Perriman. Josh doesn't slip against Tenn. Buffalo lost the opener to Pittsburgh that they should have won.

That #1 defense doesn't look so hot after beating up on a bunch of scrub QBs all season. That #1 defense gave up 552 yards of offense to the Chiefs in that playoff game. 

2022 opponents, Rams*, Titans*, Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers*, Chiefs*, Packers*, Jets, Vikings, Browns, Lions, Patriots*, Jets, Dolphins, Bears, Bengals*, Patriots*.

Much tougher schedule with no rookie QBs with 8 of 17 games against 2021 playoff teams.

Buffalo had better be much better at stopping the run as so many of the teams they face will try and do what the Colts did to Buffalo last season.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

If you think Jerry Sullivan is “The biggest douche bag in the world.” You need to get out more.

He is when it comes to Buffalo Bills journalism and has been for years and years now. If you don't know that then you need to get out and talk to Bills Mafia members more.

I don't like predicting this early.  I try to go no further than the next game.  The big test will take place against the Rams.  I do think his article missed on a couple details...such as how they addressed the DL by signing 3 veterans at tackle.  The only contract issue right now is Poyer.  I think Edmunds, Knox, Oliver and Singletary will use this year to earn extensions.  That's not a problem; that's a motivator.  By the way, finishing number one in defense, no matter who's on the schedule, is a great achievement.  

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The general consensus was that they would only lose 2-3 games all year so you'd have been attacked and @eball would be calling for you to be kicked off the board for such a notion.

I'm sure glad you aren't charging me rent for that space I'm occupying in your head.

• Haha (+1) 1

He's toxic energy. 

For those that believe in that type of thing, I don't believe it's a coincidence that the downward trend of the Bills slowly began as Sullivan started his career at the News and our upward trend began as he got fired. 

As for "realism", it's a favorite word of narcisists and the envious who look for anything to bring you down. There is polarity in everything in this world. Every negative has a positive potential and every positive has a negative potential. You must look at the big picture. Sometimes there is a genuine cliff, but sometimes people try to create a cliff that doesn't exist yet. Usually it's unconscious, but it's the snakes that do it on purpose. 

Sullivan seems to WANT the Bills and their fans to suffer. He seems to prosper during our down days. 

I've been around enough to know that some people have an energy that brings down everyone around them. People can crow about people being "thin skinned" or "why does he bother you so much". Sometimes it's true and it's a personal issue, but some people just have that negative charisma that you can't ignore. That's Sullivan. Get that man as far away from WNY as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm sure glad you aren't charging me rent for that space I'm occupying in your head.

I just noted that you have your angry impulse posts where you like to make a declaration that someone is about to get kicked off the board.

Was it @FilthyBeast last week?    There have been a few.  

It's un-manly to be catty like that..........but it does re-inforce your press-on-nails persona which always makes me laugh so I like to have fun with it. :lol:

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Sullivan: Super Bowl no lock for Bills, who will be challenged this season

I’m back to my default position as a professional skeptic. Someone has to do it. Judging by the gleeful mood among Buffalo fans, you’d think they were already lining up for the parade.

image.png.8e8cf1551a89db5b964f20339d7546cc.png

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/sullivan-super-bowl-no-lock-for-bills-who-will-be-challenged-this-season/article_742f8dfa-09fe-11ed-9a97-832f47fc0ee1.html

Jerry wants to be the first to say I told you so. If the Bills do win it, his first column will complain why it took so long.

I don't care what journalists or anyone similar says tbh, good or bad. All that matters is what happens on the field. I'll make my own judgements so most of them can piss off.

Edited by Rigby

Can he literally never say a single good thing about the Bills, even when they are Superbowl contenders? He has to always point out only negatives. What an exhausting person.

Let me ask you this, Jerry: Has the Superbowl ever been a lock for any team in the history of the game? Why would it be a lock for the Bills? What a stupid headline. Of course it's not a lock for the Bills.

42 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Jerry wants to be the first to say I told you so. If the Bills do win it, his first column will complain why it took so long.

Even to place myself as an impartial observer, the Poyer and Hyde situation couldn't have made Sullivan look any worse.

Calling out two veteran players on a winning team after a loss during terrible wind conditions. The players taking offense and then responding with a Division clinching victory against the same team and then the most dominant playoff performance of all time against said team with an all-time highlight reel interception by Hyde.

When Poyer and Hyde called out Sullivan in the post-victory press conference, as they had the right to, Sullivan responds by becoming defensive and self-righteous. This was the moment for Sullivan to be the bigger man and admit you were wrong about Poyer and Hyde. Admit that they overcame the obstacles and proved themselves as great players.

Instead he didn't want to admit he was wrong. He acted like Poyer and Hyde were somehow petty. THIS is the sign of a loser, my friends. And exposed his true nature. His "realism" being a thin facade for his "tear down others" routine. "It's up to ME to stop all this Pollyanna talk. It's up to ME to bring everyone down to Earth".

This is not a man who stands for TRUTH or REALISM. It's a man who thinks too highly of himself and has no shame for rubbing his negative energy on others. I mean, that Poyer and Hyde situation is what you want if you stand for realism, right? You thought you saw weakness, you called it out, and then the players stepped up to the plate and proved you wrong. Or were you secretly hoping that you were RIGHT? Were you INVESTED in your negative opinion of the hometown players? Did you secretly want us to lose to the Patriots and miss the playoffs altogether so that you would be exonerated? 

Note I'm talking directly to Sullivan here who I'm certain is monitoring this thread, if not posting in this thread anonymously. I know this is true because I remember how often he commented to defend his articles on the Buffalo News site. 

My prediction: Sullivan is going to be fired from the Gazette after the Bills win a Super Bowl. He will continue to write negative articles where they are no longer defensible, the fans and Gazette will push back, he won't back down and he will be let go. At this point, there won't be a small-time paper around to hire him and keep him in the city. He will start covering another loser team like the Browns. 

Sully is a professional contrarian, only he doesn't have the personality or charisma to actually make a decent living at it.  When it comes down to it he's just a guy who writes essentially the same pessimistic stuff over and over again, changing a few names here and there.  If he's right, then he's quick to say "I told you so."  If he's wrong, he pivots to a different argument.  It's not unlike several posters on this forum who think they know everything.

Not really worth my time (no, I didn't read the article, but I bet I can hit all of the salient points dead on).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I think you have more serious issues at play here if this is your reaction to someone else’s opinions 

If I wanted a therapist session I’d pay for it.

Sullivan is a tool and has been negative about the Bills forever.

Just now, McBean said:

If I wanted a therapy session I’d pay for it.

Sullivan is a tool and has been negative about the Bills forever.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

go ***** yourself Jerry

You speak for bills nation my friend. 

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

It's easy for Bills fans to be very optimistic about the upcoming 2022 season as the Bills do have the best young QB in the league IMO.

Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert are also right up there with the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes now. Me? I think Allen is the best after what the kid did to the Patriots in that playoff game...47-17. Wonder If the hoodie still thinks Allen is trash?

Anyway, look closer at the Bills last season to realize that last years team really played very poorly in several games. That Jags 6-9 loss hits me first...how on many levels? The literal drubbing by the Colts 41-15 tells me that even though the Bills defense was statistically number one overall...they stuck it up big time many times during last season.  

Look who they beat last season to garner that #1 overall defensive ranking. 

WK 1)Loss to the Steelers 16-23. 

WK 2)The Dolphins by knocking out the starter in Tua and destroying backup Jacoby Brissett!

WK 3)Beating Washington 43-21 because they faced backup QB Taylor Heinicke!

WK 4)Houston with Davis Mills at QB, 40-0 rating of 23.4...like facing Nathan Peterman.

WK 5) Chiefs 38-20 with Mahomes still reeling from that SB loss to the Bucs.

WK6) Tennessee, close loss 31-34.

WK 7) BYE

WK Eight) Miami, Tua showing he was not ready to face a good team.

WK 9) Jacksonville. 6-9 loss How the eff??? To a rookie QB who threw for 118 yards.

WK 10) NY Jets with Mike White at QB...who?

WK11) Indy Colts rushing 46 for 264 yards, 4 rushing TDs. Wentz threw for 106 yards!!

WK12) NO Saints, Trevor Siemian at QB...who? threw for 163 yards

WK 13) Patriots, loss to a rookie QB in Mac Jones who threw for 19 yards!!!

WK 14) Bucs, 33-27 loss in OT Buffalo came alive in the second half.

WK 15) Carolina, faced a washed up Cam Newton. who threw for 156 yards. 

WK 16) NE, the rookie again who threw for 145 yards.

WK 17) Atlanta, sacked Matt Ryan 5x. 

WK 18) NY Jets with the real rookie QB starting in Zack Wilson who went 7 of 20 for 87 yards. 

sacked Zack 9x!! 

Buffalo finished 11-6...when they could have easily beaten the Jags and finished 12-5 like Tenn, KC. Or, if Tremaine Edmunds isn't alone on pass coverage against Bucs WR Breshad Perriman. Josh doesn't slip against Tenn. Buffalo lost the opener to Pittsburgh that they should have won.

That #1 defense doesn't look so hot after beating up on a bunch of scrub QBs all season. That #1 defense gave up 552 yards of offense to the Chiefs in that playoff game. 

2022 opponents, Rams*, Titans*, Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers*, Chiefs*, Packers*, Jets, Vikings, Browns, Lions, Patriots*, Jets, Dolphins, Bears, Bengals*, Patriots*.

Much tougher schedule with no rookie QBs with 8 of 17 games against 2021 playoff teams.

Buffalo had better be much better at stopping the run as so many of the teams they face will try and do what the Colts did to Buffalo last season.  

That’s an awful lot of analysis saying you agree with Jerry Sullivan 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.