Jerry Sullivan weighs in on 2022-23 season !

HOUSE

9 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Sullivan has made a career out of being a pessimist. He calls himself skeptical, but I don’t think he ever believed in the Bills. It wasn’t exactly going out on a limb being pessimistic about the Bills and Sabres over the last few decades. I prefer to be optimistic probably to a faulty. I find it too exhausting to be pessimistic. Being skeptical is at times prudent and not as exhausting. In this article Sullivan has six points only two have some validity, “Is the defense as good as its record?” and “Is Sean McDermott a Super Bowl head coach?”. The defense was good when playing with a lead, the run defense was at times terrible. The interior of that line needs to be better, hopefully the new additions will help that. McDermott has to own that “13 seconds”, that was bad coaching. We can try and place blame elsewhere, but that’s obfuscation. I like McDermott, but he has to win the big one. 

Fans can be optimistic. Sully and the gang are supposed to try to be objective. And the Bills were objectively terrible for years. 

Also, who reads Sullivan anymore? Or ever did? With the total availability of different media these days, why would anyone bother?

Edited by FireChans

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

First of all I had no idea that he was with the Niagara gazette now and I’m not giving his article a click. But his headline isn’t wrong. I’m not a professional skeptic but I do think they will be challenged, not sure anyone has said they won’t be. Lining up for the parade is a bit dramatic, has he met bills fans?? Excited, yes, we deserve to be. But the fans are realistic imo. 

The dude has to make stuff up in order to write an article intended to piss people off.  

Go away forever hack.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m pretty sure WEO is Jerry Sullivan. 🤣

Jerry’s takes never bother me. I enjoy reading his attempts to rile people

up. Even better was when he did the early pregame with Jeremy White on GR; they would be screaming at each other and the callers.  It was the best. 

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Sullivan: Super Bowl no lock for Bills, who will be challenged this season

I’m back to my default position as a professional skeptic. Someone has to do it. Judging by the gleeful mood among Buffalo fans, you’d think they were already lining up for the parade.

image.png.8e8cf1551a89db5b964f20339d7546cc.png

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/sullivan-super-bowl-no-lock-for-bills-who-will-be-challenged-this-season/article_742f8dfa-09fe-11ed-9a97-832f47fc0ee1.html

The biggest douche bag in the world.

I’d love a chance to punch him right in the mouth as hard as I could..just one time.

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Fans can be optimistic. Sully and the gang are supposed to try to be objective. And the Bills were objectively terrible for years. 

Also, who reads Sullivan anymore? Or ever did? With the total availability of different media these days, why would anyone bother?

I’ll read Sullivan and others out of curiosity. It’s not like it costs me anything other than time. I love reading about the Bills for better or for worse. I haven’t lived in Buffalo for a long time, pre-internet I’d buy newspapers to read three sentences about the Bills. 

4 minutes ago, McBean said:

The biggest douche bag in the world.

I’d love a chance to punch him right in the mouth as hard as I could..just one time.

If you think Jerry Sullivan is “The biggest douche bag in the world.” You need to get out more.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

The article wasn't that bad tbh. He thinks we're gonna go 12-5, win the East and then lose in the playoffs. I'm optimistic because this is easily the best roster the Bills have had since the glory days and most everyone I've talked to thinks Josh will win at least one SB in his lifetime, but yeah, it's the NFL. Things happen and it's tough to win. 

I like Sully's skepticism sometimes, sometimes it's good. Most of the time though it's an outplayed schtick that he grew into, then became comfortable and lazy with it during the drought. Maybe he can get better with age but I don't know if he really wants to. Anyway...

Allen regressed? Like did he really regress or did Sully just glance at stats from last year and go "oh they're slightly down so he's worse"? Didn't Sully go to every game last year? 🤔 Does Sully not believe throwing into 40 mph winds can alter the trajectory of a football? Does he even believe in wind, climate, or that the earth is round? You never can tell. And there were two games where the weather was definitely a factor and if you take a DEEPER look at the stats Sully, you can see that - https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/josh-allen-at-home-vs.-away 

This isn't news, it's something that's been observed, discussed, and understood among a majority of Bills fans and most in the media for the last two years. Why is Josh's accuracy so much better in away games? I'd love to get Sully's opinion on that but that probably wouldn't play up his schtick. 

That all being said, sometimes he's right... and I think the plus 194 point differential with 6 losses is a good point, I think that's on McD and coaches at this point with all this talent. Also at this point with Tre White still rehabbing and his status uncertain when he's able to go, that leaves us with a rookie starting CB and loss of Wallace in the secondary. Von Miller's addition will help the secondary I'm sure, but I'd still prefer another CB, like Haden or someone. That's our biggest weakness right now IMO. That and possibly more passive dribble from Sully. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 7.34.03 AM.png

Edited by extrahammer

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Jerry's reaching a little bit for things to worry about, but fundamentally he's right.   Josh isn't a Hall of Fame QB yet, McDermott has to prove he can lead a team to the championship, Dorsey is an unknown, the statistically-great defense needs to show it can control games.   All valid points.  

But all that really adds up to is that even the favorite to win the Super Bowl has to have a lot of things go right to actually win it.  It's always that way.  

Jerry's outlook on life is to look for the negative in order to cut other down. It's a pathological condition. Which explains why he can't understand Bills fans simply being happy.

Jerry's only happy when he feels self righteous while giving someone the business. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The team was humbled in a couple ways last year in the regular season. Lost a dogfight with the lowly Jaguars and manhandled and blown out at home by the Colts. I'm hoping they will learn from those two games. They also went what 0-5 in one score games in the regular season? 

and 0-1 in the playoffs when it mattered most.

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Jerry's outlook on life is to look for the negative in order to cut other down. It's a pathological condition. Which explains why he can't understand Bills fans simply being happy.

Jerry's only happy when he feels self righteous while giving someone the business. 

1.  He's smart.

2.  He writes well.  

I'll give him that.  But he's like so many politicians today - instead of using his own brain to make an independent judgment and then give us his opinion, he decides what side of an argument he wants to be on and that becomes his opinion.   That's not opinion; that's dogma.  

I've objected to his stuff plenty of times, but among the worst examples of his forming an opinion based on a pre-judgment, rather than thinking:

1.  He bashed TO for the entire season he was in Buffalo, and there was no evidence, none at all, to support his bashing. 

2.  As Rex was leaving, and Anthony Lynn was acting head coach, he repeatedly asked questions at press conferences for the purpose of catching someone saying something that contradicted what he or someone else previously had said, all solely so that he then could bash the organization about it.   

I'd like to like the guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, bdomdbomb said:

All of Jerry's articles are read at your own risk.  The man cornered the market on "ISM"s years ago.  Cynicism, pessimism, and defeatism are the only items on his menu.  I can only imagine that he starts his day by greeting everyone he meets with, "Bad morning."  I have not read anything by him in the last 10 years and can see why the Buffalo News cut him loose.  

Realism? 
I realize it’s fashionable to knock Sullivan, but there’s nothing in his column I disagree with. 
There’s a ton of optimism for the coming season. Rightfully so. It’s our right as fans. Hope springs eternal at 0-0. 

Every season there are surprises and divisional standings that get flip-flopped. With only 17 games, there’s less margin for error/injuries.  

Anything can happen. The other unpredictable nature of sporting events is part of the reason we watch. 

If the Bills continue growing and the new pieces (players and coaches) work towards that end, this could finally be our year. Or…a misstep here or there and those lofty expectations will sadly go up in smoke. 

Sullivan isn’t wrong in playing counterpoint to the Bills’ PR machine and GMF. 

The only way to find out is by playing the games. Bring it on! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

1.  He's smart.

2.  He writes well.  

I'll give him that.  But he's like so many politicians today - instead of using his own brain to make an independent judgment and then give us his opinion, he decides what side of an argument he wants to be on and that becomes his opinion.   That's not opinion; that's dogma.  

I've objected to his stuff plenty of times, but among the worst examples of his forming an opinion based on a pre-judgment, rather than thinking:

1.  He bashed TO for the entire season he was in Buffalo, and there was no evidence, none at all, to support his bashing. 

2.  As Rex was leaving, and Anthony Lynn was acting head coach, he repeatedly asked questions at press conferences for the purpose of catching someone saying something that contradicted what he or someone else previously had said, all solely so that he then could bash the organization about it.   

I'd like to like the guy. 

I wish there was a "fair enough" icon.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

First of all I had no idea that he was with the Niagara gazette now and I’m not giving his article a click. But his headline isn’t wrong. I’m not a professional skeptic but I do think they will be challenged, not sure anyone has said they won’t be. Lining up for the parade is a bit dramatic, has he met bills fans?? Excited, yes, we deserve to be. But the fans are realistic imo. 

I seem to remember the tenor of this board at this time last year was that the team and the weak schedule made the Bills a virtual lock for the #1 seed or at the least to get back to the AFCCG was a mere formality.

Imagine predicting at this time last summer that the Bills would be 7-6 after 13 games. :lol:

The general consensus was that they would only lose 2-3 games all year so you'd have been attacked and @eball would be calling for you to be kicked off the board for such a notion.

So after an entire offseason where Bills fans have been told that they are the favorite to win the SB this year.............yeah there are probably a lot of people who aren't prepared for the potential ups and downs of playing in maybe the most competitive conference the NFL has ever had.    

There are people out there who confuse this with the early 90's seasons where the Bills were favored.............this is not that......those runs thru an overmatched AFC were much easier by comparison.

These Bills have a tough schedule in a super tough, QB and playmaker stacked conference..........they are one of the slightest SB favorites ever(in some places #1 but only a 7% chance).

And they would be the first team to win a SB with a first time play caller since the 1980's(and that was Mike Holmgren as first time 49ers OC directing a returning SB champ in 1989, not a team that had never done it).   

If the Bills win the SB this year it could be one of the more impressive feats by a team in NFL history.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.