Jerry Sullivan weighs in on 2022-23 season !

Sullivan: Super Bowl no lock for Bills, who will be challenged this season

I’m back to my default position as a professional skeptic. Someone has to do it. Judging by the gleeful mood among Buffalo fans, you’d think they were already lining up for the parade.

image.png.8e8cf1551a89db5b964f20339d7546cc.png

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/sullivan-super-bowl-no-lock-for-bills-who-will-be-challenged-this-season/article_742f8dfa-09fe-11ed-9a97-832f47fc0ee1.html

Edited by HOUSE
  • Eyeroll 5

• Bogie_Klinkhammer changed the title to Jerry Sullivan weighs in on 2022-23 season !

First of all I had no idea that he was with the Niagara gazette now and I’m not giving his article a click. But his headline isn’t wrong. I’m not a professional skeptic but I do think they will be challenged, not sure anyone has said they won’t be. Lining up for the parade is a bit dramatic, has he met bills fans?? Excited, yes, we deserve to be. But the fans are realistic imo. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Superbowl is not a lock for any team

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

First of all I had no idea that he was with the Niagara gazette now and I’m not giving his article a click. But his headline isn’t wrong. I’m not a professional skeptic but I do think they will be challenged, not sure anyone has said they won’t be. Lining up for the parade is a bit dramatic, has he met bills fans?? Excited, yes, we deserve to be. But the fans are realistic imo. 

that's kinda obvious to any football fan. Too many thing happen during a season

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You need to gamble a little in life....lol

• Agree 1

All of Jerry's articles are read at your own risk.  The man cornered the market on "ISM"s years ago.  Cynicism, pessimism, and defeatism are the only items on his menu.  I can only imagine that he starts his day by greeting everyone he meets with, "Bad morning."  I have not read anything by him in the last 10 years and can see why the Buffalo News cut him loose.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I mean of course they aren't a lock. Anything can happen. Injuries, a bad bounce, a bad slip and fall by a defender in a key moment, a bad call, team having a bad outing, etc...

But that being said, the Bills SHOULD be favorites to get there and win it. They have a loaded roster and our QB plays his best when the stakes are the highest.

We’re not winning the SB?

Man, I booked my flight and bought

my confetti.

The other Jerrah (Mr. Positivity) is not wrong.  Chiefs, Titans, Rams, Ravens, Bengals, Browns if Watson is back by week 11, and Packers is a no joke schedule.  The downside is that is one tough schedule.  The upside is iron sharpens iron and we will be so battle hardened by the playoffs, that we’ll be ready for what comes at us.

IDC what sully has to say.  He’s actually been pretty positive since at the Niagara paper and does make you think he had a right to be such a negative Nelly during the drought years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jerry's reaching a little bit for things to worry about, but fundamentally he's right.   Josh isn't a Hall of Fame QB yet, McDermott has to prove he can lead a team to the championship, Dorsey is an unknown, the statistically-great defense needs to show it can control games.   All valid points.  

But all that really adds up to is that even the favorite to win the Super Bowl has to have a lot of things go right to actually win it.  It's always that way.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's missing his target. Media has been hyping the Bills as SB favorites more than the fans. Sorry Jerry but true Bills fans have suffered way too much PTSD over the seasons to over hype anything. We're more cautiously optimistic, or hopefully longing, or neurotically nervous, even excitably superstitious. I get it, there's other scary teams out there, Bengals, Chargers, KC, even Denver Oakland, Baltimore to name a few. There's certainty unanswered questions at positions on this team & Nothing is guaranteed. But stop peeing on the parade before the games are even played. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The team was humbled in a couple ways last year in the regular season. Lost a dogfight with the lowly Jaguars and manhandled and blown out at home by the Colts. I'm hoping they will learn from those two games. They also went what 0-5 in one score games in the regular season? 

It does feel like we are living in a golden age of football right now though. Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes, R. Wilson elite QB's along with our guy. Jackson could still be in that conversation. Of course my opinion is probably biased by the fact that the Bills are once again elite and have one of those elite QB's. My feelings and interest towards the NFL feel the same now at age 38 as they did 30 years ago in my childhood prime rooting for a dominant NFL team in the early 90's.

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone who has been a Bills fan for any length of time is not thinking we are a lock for the SB.

We all know we have as good an opportunity as any team to get there but I believe most Bills fans are too knowledgeable to think it’s anywhere close to a foregone conclusion.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Superbowl is not a lock for any team

that's kinda obvious to any football fan. Too many thing happen during a season

As I said in the second part of that sentence that you bolded, “not sure anyone has said they won’t be”

Edited by YoloinOhio

Sullivan has made a career out of being a pessimist. He calls himself skeptical, but I don’t think he ever believed in the Bills. It wasn’t exactly going out on a limb being pessimistic about the Bills and Sabres over the last few decades. I prefer to be optimistic probably to a faulty. I find it too exhausting to be pessimistic. Being skeptical is at times prudent and not as exhausting. In this article Sullivan has six points only two have some validity, “Is the defense as good as its record?” and “Is Sean McDermott a Super Bowl head coach?”. The defense was good when playing with a lead, the run defense was at times terrible. The interior of that line needs to be better, hopefully the new additions will help that. McDermott has to own that “13 seconds”, that was bad coaching. We can try and place blame elsewhere, but that’s obfuscation. I like McDermott, but he has to win the big one. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.