Would you be okay if Allen sat the entire preseason?

Allen preseason  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Allen preseason

• Yes
    • No

Good points GB.  I would add I see value in competitive practices with opposite conference teams.  They are more controlled when both coaching staffs are aligned.  Prior to the snafu on McKissic, I would’ve thought McD and Rivera could work something out as they don’t play the NFCE this year.

It has to be nice to have both coaching staffs monitoring the players, keeping them civil and working on the various tasks over a couple of days.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you should read what I wrote. I am saying scheme and knocking rust off are NOT good reasons to have pre-season. There is nothing to be gained in that regard by pro teams. Nobody really shows anything scheme wise in any event, and while knocking rust off is nice that can be achieved through practice. 

However, I disagree on roster evaluation. It isn't that freshman need less evaluation it is that college teams can keep 125 players on their roster. You are not having to make decisions on the bottom half of your roster in the same way and while college teams don't maybe have control of the kids in the way they used to with the transfer portal etc the fact is of the 90 at Fisher the Bills have to expose almost half to the market in a month's time. The value of pre-season in the NFL is to give teams the opportunity to evaluate the bottom half of their rosters. It is a fact that pretty much every year in the NFL there are UDFAs who make rosters based on pre-season performances. Want proof? In 2020 without a pre-season 30.8 fewer UDFAs made NFL rosters when compared with the 10 year average. That is the value of pre-season in the NFL.

At what date will you release your "final" roster, or have you already?

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't have to make a final roster. You want Beane, Brandon. 

common man, you do mock drafts. Why do you play Beane then and not now?

Point is (as you know, but are ignoring) a casual fan can do a 53 and be remarkably accurate. Why is that? Because only a handful of backup positions are up for grabs. Those casual fans don't have the luxury that Beane does. He gets to view practice and get honest to goodness real answers from the coaching staff, yet they'll get 45+ people correct. 

I know you're unable to do it, but for once shout uncle.

9 minutes ago, Beerball said:

common man, you do mock drafts. Why do you play Beane then and not now?

Point is (as you know, but are ignoring) a casual fan can do a 53 and be remarkably accurate. Why is that? Because only a handful of backup positions are up for grabs. Those casual fans don't have the luxury that Beane does. He gets to view practice and get honest to goodness real answers from the coaching staff, yet they'll get 45+ people correct. 

I know you're unable to do it, but for once shout uncle.

I agree most fans can get 45 or so right with a roster projection. That doesn't change my view at all on the merits of pre-season games for the bottom half of the roster. The evidence is there and it is clear. Players at the bottom end of the roster, particularly UDFAs win jobs based on pre-season games. When you take them away the average fell by practically 1 UDFA per team. Now maybe you take the view that doesn't matter. I don't. I take the view that they are an important opportunity for guys who might be unheralded to make football teams. There are more UDFAs in the HoF than 1st round picks. Personally I'd be completely fine with the NFL actually restricting established vet starters with X number of games under their belt from playing in pre-season. I agree it serves no purpose for them. It will never happen because that isn't gonna help you sell tickets for those games. I'd reduce the number from 3 games to 2, but I'd retain some element of pre-season to give those under the radar guys a chance to make rosters. It is an important part of the evaluation process. 

As for shouting uncle (I had to look that up, it must be an American thing) I am perfectly happy to accept when I'm wrong, I've done it multiple times on this board. On this, I am afraid I do not think I am wrong. 

Edited by GunnerBill

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

In lieu of the Poyer injury (and Hyde getting dinged), does anyone want to change their stance on “the importance of preseason reps?” 

New OC some added wrinkles to the offense. I get nobody wants injuries in TC and preseason but they happen. I don't want the offense looking out of sync either on opening night. I wouldn't play them to much just a couple of series but they need the reps with a new OC to get ready for week 1. 

I have said for each Bills preseason home game Buffalo goes 3 wide with Allen ten yards back under max protection first play of the game. Upon snap the 3 WRs all run verts as fast as they can, Allen throws it as far as possible and walks off for the game. Everyone gets to see Josh throw something fun, he is healthy, and that is it :)

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

In lieu of the Poyer injury (and Hyde getting dinged), does anyone want to change their stance on “the importance of preseason reps?” 

Absolutely no.  This is a new defense line with other players changed as well.  This is new OC with lots of changes to Offense pieces.

The coaching staff can substitute some backups in more often but all starting players need reps.  We have seen games where Bills are flat going into first live game and the Bills schedule is front loaded so Bills cannot afford that this year.

On 7/27/2022 at 8:29 AM, eball said:

I'd like to give Josh and Dorsey at least one half's worth of real football working together before we hit the regular season.

That's a good point.  Josh has also said that just hearing a different voice in the helmet is strange.  A few drives in preseason is ok with me.

Do you mean preseason games? Or, also no practices?

I'm would like to see 17 at practices, but missing the preseason games.

At practice, because I working on timing with the receivers is important, and also the new rookie OC needs practice play calling with his QB1.

Not at preseason games, because injury potential.

3 minutes ago, boater said:

Do you mean preseason games? Or, also no practices?

I'm would like to see 17 at practices, but missing the preseason games.

At practice, because I working on timing with the receivers is important, and also the new rookie OC needs practice play calling with his QB1.

Not at preseason games, because injury potential.

They need to get some reps against a real opponent. Injuries can happen at anytime so might as well put them in for the preseason. There is no substitute for game action. Practicing against your own defense when they won't hit you will not help against the Rams..

On 7/22/2022 at 5:58 PM, The Wiz said:

I only say no because he's gonna want to play even if it's pre-season.

It will likely be very little, maybe 15-20 snaps in total, but he's going to want them.

I agree.  Josh is too competitive to just sit for 3 weeks!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.