Would you be okay if Allen sat the entire preseason?

Allen preseason  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Allen preseason

• Yes
    • No

On 7/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, Nextmanup said:

Nah, that's just fan speak.  Pre-season doesn't need to exist and only does so for money---nothing to do with football development.

So I disagree that it is "nothing to do with football development" but the idea that Josh needs to play to get used to a new playcaller or a tweaked scheme I agree is an exagerration of the use of pre-season. 

It's use in a football development sense is really evaluate the back end of your roster. Your top 20-30 guys are your top 20-30 guy whether they are in practice of an exhibition game but think if it like a pyramid the further you go down the pyramid the more players there are at a similar level of ability and there is merit there to working out which of them look good against friendly fire in practice and which can actually produce when the live bullets are firing. 

I am totally with McVay on this. I wouldn't play my 'starters' at all with the exception of a series or two for the rooks. I'd use as much of the 3 games as possible to evaluate the guys who are fighting over the last 10 or 15 spots on my roster and the spaces on my PS. 

• Agree 3

I know these guys stay in better shape now than ever before and as far as staying in shape there is no real off season ut ever since i can remember i have always heard players say they need to get into playing shape meaning there must be a difference in the playing in a game rather than practice .

So i would like for him to at least get some reps in the pre season because the speed is definitely different in a game & then they say when they are in the play offs the intensity ratchets up even more .

Which given all the talk by fans & players alike i never understood why they wanted to do away with more & more pre season games because of the difference between practice & game speed/intensity . I know it is more apt to have a injury but if they ramp up slow in camp then ramp up again in pre season then again in the real season that would be better but i'm just a fan !! 

I voted Yes, because if that is what the Bills decide then I'm fine with. McD, Dorsey, and Beane see him everyday in practice. If they thought there was no need for him to get reps at the risk of injury, then I trust that decision and wouldnt complain or lose any sleep. Fine by me.

The only score that matters in the preseason is the number of players that end up on the injury report.

On 7/25/2022 at 7:50 AM, GunnerBill said:

So I disagree that it is "nothing to do with football development" but the idea that Josh needs to play to get used to a new playcaller or a tweaked scheme I agree is an exagerration of the use of pre-season. 

Why is it that HS (that's American for high school) and collegiate teams can do it?

You cannot go into game 1 against the LA Rams without the 1st unit in full getting a few series in

Completely against sitting Allen all preseason. I'm also against removing preseason games in general.

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

You cannot go into game 1 against the LA Rams without the 1st unit in full getting a few series in

Completely against sitting Allen all preseason. I'm also against removing preseason games in general.

Especially with a new OC and some new plays to the offense. Yesterday at TC one of papers reported that Allen was frustrated as the offense looked out of sync. On the plus side they said the defense looked really good. I think the starters on offense will play more than usual in the preseason needing the reps with Dorsey's offense.

• Agree 1

I'd be fine with it but I think with a new offense under Dorsey and what happened last year out of the gate against the Steelers it probably doesn't make sense at this point especially when guys like Brady are still out there slinging it in meaningless preseason games after all these years.

Just now, Beerball said:

Do

without

a

preseason

Well I think the NFL could for the purposes of "scheme" or "knocking rust off starters". The football argument for keeping a pre-season in the NFL is entirely about evaluation of and decisions regarding the bottom half of the roster which is not an issue on college because the same roster limits and regulations do not apply. 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well I think the NFL could for the purposes of "scheme" or "knocking rust off starters". The football argument for keeping a pre-season in the NFL is entirely about evaluation of and decisions regarding the bottom half of the roster which is not an issue on college because the same roster limits and regulations do not apply. 

Scheme and knocking rust off aren’t important to college kids? One loss by most teams ruins any chance at the playoffs yet they’re able to handle things just fine. Freshmen need less evaluation than pros with miles of film?  There are 90 players at SJF. Roster size is not an issue.

6 hours ago, Beerball said:

Scheme and knocking rust off aren’t important to college kids? One loss by most teams ruins any chance at the playoffs yet they’re able to handle things just fine. Freshmen need less evaluation than pros with miles of film?  There are 90 players at SJF. Roster size is not an issue.

I think you should read what I wrote. I am saying scheme and knocking rust off are NOT good reasons to have pre-season. There is nothing to be gained in that regard by pro teams. Nobody really shows anything scheme wise in any event, and while knocking rust off is nice that can be achieved through practice. 

However, I disagree on roster evaluation. It isn't that freshman need less evaluation it is that college teams can keep 125 players on their roster. You are not having to make decisions on the bottom half of your roster in the same way and while college teams don't maybe have control of the kids in the way they used to with the transfer portal etc the fact is of the 90 at Fisher the Bills have to expose almost half to the market in a month's time. The value of pre-season in the NFL is to give teams the opportunity to evaluate the bottom half of their rosters. It is a fact that pretty much every year in the NFL there are UDFAs who make rosters based on pre-season performances. Want proof? In 2020 without a pre-season 30.8 fewer UDFAs made NFL rosters when compared with the 10 year average. That is the value of pre-season in the NFL.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.