Would you be okay if Allen sat the entire preseason?

Allen preseason  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Allen preseason

• Yes
    • No

YES.  The pre-season shouldn't exist; it's a waste of time.

News Flash: these coaching staffs don't need a pre-season "game" to figure out who the best players are.

I would have Allen sit the entirety of it.

16 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

even though it was Daboll to Dorsey, they need to install the new offensive concepts and get the new guys mixed in for timing and to realize the heat JA puts on those passes.

Nah, that's just fan speak.  Pre-season doesn't need to exist and only does so for money---nothing to do with football development.

They are doing all those things for hours and hours all summer long.

The players already know how hard Josh throws the ball (and a lot of the time the is no different than what they are used to anyway).

• Eyeroll 2

17 hours ago, Herc11 said:

1st game is the season opener, prime-time, against the SB Champs. 

You dont go into that game, with a new O-coordinator, not having some actual game-speed experience together.

Despite the hype and excitement that surrounds that game, the outcome is one of the least significant of the season. 

I still play the 1st team offense some in the preseason but not because I’m worried about the rams game 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Listening to morning show and brought up about Allen and if he’s at that place where he doesn’t play at all in the preseason.

How would you feel about it?  No need because he’s at that level.

Or, he needs live reps with being in his first year with Dorsey?

He doesn’t need the game reps IMO. A series or two in the second game, a half in the third. What’s that get you?

He, along with all his teammates needs a taste or two of actual speed live action before the games start counting. 

He won’t experience the same intensity in team practice as he will in live action against an unfamiliar opponent with different defensive schemes than the one he’s been facing for the past 7 weeks. 

There are reasons golfers practice the driving range and putting green before hitting the links. 

if the concern is injury, well, I suspect the chances are greater coming into the season ‘cold’.

For preseason games, he’d probably only see 3-4 quarters total.  I believe he can survive that. 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Just play him in the final quarter of the final preseason game. This way all the bubble guys can say they “played with Josh Allen.”

I wouldn’t put him out there with the 3rd string OL or anything but it would help to see all the fringe WRs play with him at some point. It’s a tougher evaluation watching them play with Matt Barkley. 

19 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Nope, looks like I’ve got free tickets front row behind the Bills bench for the Carolinas game with my boy. We both want to see us some JA close up.

On the level though, after last years rusty start I believe he needs some reps to get his mind right, especially with a new OC in his ear. They don’t have to expose him to much danger but he does need some live reps.

you’ll see him up close, even closer if he’s on the bench!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Just play him in the final quarter of the final preseason game. This way all the bubble guys can say they “played with Josh Allen.”

I really don't want Bobby Hart and Luke Tenuta blocking for him.

The first half with the starting offense line during the last preseason game like last year against the Packers.  We didn't lose to Pittsburgh because of rust.  We lost to them because they had a great defensive game plan.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Despite the hype and excitement that surrounds that game, the outcome is one of the least significant of the season. 

I still play the 1st team offense some in the preseason but not because I’m worried about the rams game 

In the grand scheme of playoff tie-breakers, you are correct. But, when it comes to the 1 seed, they all matter. 

I put yes, but I know he's not that type of player. He'll want to be out there and get some reps in, especially with the new WR's. And I'm fine with that too. I trust our staff not to put him in harm's way. 

If Daboll was still the OC then maybe but even then Josh should probably play a series or two just to shake off the rust. With a new OC and some new plays in the offense the starters should see some action this preseason. Have to see how things work in a real game. You can only do so much in practice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.