Would you be okay if Allen sat the entire preseason?

Allen preseason  

307 members have voted

1. 1. Allen preseason

• Yes
    • No

12 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

even though it was Daboll to Dorsey, they need to install the new offensive concepts and get the new guys mixed in for timing and to realize the heat JA puts on those passes.

In scanning these replies before I go any further, that was exactly my thought.  I can see him playing only Q1, and then get long looks at Case as many snaps as possible as he needs just in case to know Dorsey’s system.

This is the first preseason In interested in seeing them play as I want to see what Dorsey is like as a play caller.  I know it will look vanilla.

• Like (+1) 1

If it is/was the same offense and terminology - I have no issues siting him, but with a new OC and several new offensive coach’s - I would like to see him get a couple of series to work on communication within game.

Getting calls from the OC with real crowd noise, timing of the calls coming in, where the OC is comfortable (booth versus sideline) and how that impacts communication with JA.  Work those things out with a couple of drives in pre-season - rather than finding out against LA that something does not work in the set-up and it costs you.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

But he was plenty healthy/rested at the end of the season when it matters. The last 2 games may have been the best 2 games of his career. Thankfully he didn’t incur an injury in preseason that put him out for a period of time or nagged throughout the year. The Bills were the healthiest team in the NFL last year. Some of that can be attributed to the preseason approach.

Last summer, IIRC, he played in one game for a drive or two ??

BING BANG BOOM 

A TD drive like it was practice. 
Got my blood flowing.  

those HOT series may have given them an overconfidence. 🤷‍♂️ 

New Coordinator — new things (styles to try) even if Vanilla.  🤷‍♂️ 

Healthy and rested? That could be because of any number of reasons 

he put the nail on Sugar High Josh’s coffin. 
So, he wasn’t scrambling for his life 

He learned the game and was “relaxed” enough to not sweat it? 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Last summer, IIRC, he played in one game for a drive or two ??

BING BANG BOOM 

A TD drive like it was practice. 
Got my blood flowing.  

those HOT series may have given them an overconfidence. 🤷‍♂️ 

New Coordinator — new things (styles to try) even if Vanilla.  🤷‍♂️ 

Healthy and rested? That could be because of any number of reasons 

he put the nail on Sugar High Josh’s coffin. 
So, he wasn’t scrambling for his life 

He learned the game and was “relaxed” enough to not sweat it? 🤷‍♂️ 

Everything is fine if he comes out completely healthy (and everyone else does as well). If you could GUARANTEE me that every Bills player would exit the preseason, without so much as a scratch, I’d be all for it. Play them the whole game. Health is infinitely more important than scrimmage reps. I’m not willing to risk it for even a small chance of injury to any key guys. This is Super Bowl or bust. Don’t make it any harder on yourself.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Everything is fine if he comes out completely healthy (and everyone else does as well). If you could GUARANTEE me that every Bills player would exit the preseason, without so much as a scratch, I’d be all for it. Play them the whole game. Health is infinitely more important than scrimmage reps. I’m not willing to risk it for even a small chance of injury to any key guys. This is Super Bowl or bust. Don’t make it any harder on yourself.

With 3 games instead of 4, 

You got to make that tough choice 

Safe and Healthy 

or 

Unprepared and flat in the opener? 

I had a postponed COVID wedding event to contend with so I didn’t see the whole game. 

What I was was flat play on O.  Maybe that’s all on Daboll ?

Flip 1 of any of 3 games to a W and 1 seed was theirs for the taking.

7 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

With 3 games instead of 4, 

You got to make that tough choice 

Safe and Healthy 

or 

Unprepared and flat in the opener? 

I had a postponed COVID wedding event to contend with so I didn’t see the whole game. 

What I was was flat play on O.  Maybe that’s all on Daboll ?

Flip 1 of any of 3 games to a W and 1 seed was theirs for the taking.

Without the blocked punt, they win the opener. Josh slips in Tennessee or they win. The Jags game, I don’t even know what to say. There were a lot of games that could have went differently for that 1 seed.

I guess that the way that I look at it is the risk isn’t there with a team this good. If the starters play a quarter in each game that’s 6 total quarters. If ANY of them go out for 6 or 8 weeks (or whatever) it wasn’t worth the 3 quarters that they got. It doesn’t just have to be Allen. I won’t name names because I don’t want to jinx them but there are a lot of guys that we can’t withstand that type of injury to.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I thought it was pretty evident Josh played below par the first two games last season before looking like the Josh we saw in 2020 in week 3 against Washington at home… whether that had to do with reps or not who knows.

It might have had to do with reps. I guess that I’m okay with a little rust in exchange for no risk of injury. Obviously there are injuries and reps in practice but you get the point. There’s no perfect answer. It’s personal preference.

14 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

even though it was Daboll to Dorsey, they need to install the new offensive concepts and get the new guys mixed in for timing and to realize the heat JA puts on those passes.

Isn’t that what practice is for?

Sitting all of preseason is my definition of “getting cute” . From my time playing various sports, I have learned that even the most talented players need proper warm up and need to be in rhythm. We want the #1 seed and the first game is very important. He can sit when we clinch #1.

That being said, he needs to be put out there on a very limited basis with play designs to keep him out of trouble. Shotgun get it out quick type plays.   

13 hours ago, Augie said:

Wait? Wait for what? Are we still waiting for him to get that punt off?  

That happened right in front of us, making me ill. Oh, the character we have built over the years…….this board is certainly full of character(s). 

No, I was waiting for the offense to do something. Everyone at that game was expecting fireworks and the offense did absolutely nothing almost the entire first half. Gee, I wonder why. Maybe because they didn't have the preseason to work out the kinks? And now there is a brand new playcaller and everyone thinks they should just skip the preseason again and roll into week 1 against the super bowl champs? Uhhhh

15 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Nope, looks like I’ve got free tickets front row behind the Bills bench for the Carolinas game with my boy. We both want to see us some JA close up.

On the level though, after last years rusty start I believe he needs some reps to get his mind right, especially with a new OC in his ear. They don’t have to expose him to much danger but he does need some live reps.

see you there

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.