Vince McMahon stepping down as CEO of the WWE

Greg S

He leaves behind a complex legacy.

On the one hand, he broke the agreement that all of the territories had, put a lot of people out of business, and singlehandedly killed the territory system. His system of paying the wrestlers as personal contractors -- thus denying health care and other workers' rights -- and having them out on the road for 300 dates a year (and yes, I realize no one forced the wrestlers to do this) have contributed to the untimely deaths of many men.

On the other hand, he brought unprecedented fame and mainstream attention to professional wrestling, made a lot of people a lot of money, and created a billion dollar empire.

As a businessman, visionary, and promotor, he is/was a genius. As a person, things are a lot more complicated.

In any case, most of us who love professional wrestling (or ever loved it in the past) would likely not have had that opportunity had it not been for Vince. So thanks, Mr McMahon, and happy trails.

I'll be interested to see what Stephanie and Paul do with the company now.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Controversies aside the guy was a fantastic heel.

Agreed.....I don't know many CEOs who been so adept at kept a ship running over so long . I grew up watching wrestling back in the Hillbilly Jim and Junk yard Dog days. Lost interest for a while,  then got back into it during Stone Cold and The Rock heyday. Haven't watched it in years, but whatever vince did  or didn't do, there's no denying he's a great businesses man and is able to adapt to put out a product that's been in demand for decades. 

One who provides live and televised entertainment for Billions for so long, with such a hokey premise, merits lauding.

That said, the guy always did have a creep factor, long before he started “acting” like he was one.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.