JA’s contract continues to look better with each new QB contract

BillsFan619

17 hours ago, Utah John said:

The OP makes it sound a little like Allen got rolled by Beane.  I think he realized he's going to be fabulously wealthy for the rest of his life, and to squeeze every last penny would make it harder for the Bills to maintain a strong team around him.  He wants to be rich AND he wants to win.  

It was a fair market value deal when it was signed.  Neither side got anything more than they should have.  No need to read anything more info it than that. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

“The deal is already looking more and more like a bargain for the Buffalo Bills before the quarterback has even begun playing the years in that extension as he is playing this season in the final year of his rookie contract.”

Mad props to Beane for getting this deal done at the right time even when some were worried if 2020 was just an anomaly.

Also mad props to JA for having the drive, desire and worth ethic to already make his extension look like a bargain, one he hasn’t even gotten paid for yet.

https://buffalowdown.com/2022/07/21/josh-allen-extension-bargain-buffalo-bills/amp/

and it always will. That's how contracts work. They increase every year. Wait till he's get a new restructured deal in 3 years. it will be whatever the market is.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

and it always will. That's how contracts work. They increase every year. Wait till he's get a new restructured deal in 3 years. it will be whatever the market is.  

Yep until revenues slow (and there is no sign of them doing so with the streaming deal) this is the market. The richest contract doesn't go to the best at a position. It goes to the next top 10/12 guy at a position whose contract becomes due. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The six years was the best part of the deal.  I expect 4 and 5 year contracts will be the norm for QBs  That one extra year is really big.

I also expect JA to extend before his contract is up, especially when he wins a lombardi.

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

I also expect JA to extend before his contract is up, especially when he wins a lombardi.

I wonder what the numbers will be on that contract especially if he continues playing the way he is and wins a SB.

34 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It was a fair market value deal when it was signed.  Neither side got anything more than they should have.  No need to read anything more info it than that. 

Exactly.  JA was instantly the 2nd highest paid QB in the league, just behind SB Champion Mahomes.  

When Bills win a SB this year and Allen's contact drops out of the top 5 don't be surprised if gets a new deal.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Exactly.  JA was instantly the 2nd highest paid QB in the league, just behind SB Champion Mahomes.  

When Bills win a SB this year and Allen's contact drops out of the top 5 don't be surprised if gets a new deal.

I'd be surprised if he gets a new deal next year, even if the Bills win the Superbowl... because he is due $28m in guaranteed new money next year so he doesn't have a lot of leverage. The following year it is $30m of guaranteed new money. I think the first offseason where Josh could get a new deal is before 2025, because while at that point he is due $39.5m in new money - none of that new money is guaranteed so he has some leverage he can start to do things like sit out OTAs, mini camp and even into camp at that point if he wants to without risking any guaranteed money. I don't think Josh will do that mind you. But I think that offseason - spring 2025 - is the point when a new Josh Allen contract starts to become a real possibility. 

In the meantime they could do a sweetener deal like the ones they have done with Shady, Wood, Diggs in the past where they don't do a major new contract but they add a few additional bonuses (on very meetable terms) as a reward. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd be surprised if he gets a new deal next year, even if the Bills win the Superbowl... because he is due $28m in guaranteed new money next year so he doesn't have a lot of leverage. The following year it is $30m of guaranteed new money. I think the first offseason where Josh could get a new deal is before 2025, because while at that point he is due $39.5m in new money - none of that new money is guaranteed so he has some leverage he can start to do things like sit out OTAs, mini camp and even into camp at that point if he wants to without risking any guaranteed money. I don't think Josh will do that mind you. But I think that offseason - spring 2025 - is the point when a new Josh Allen contract starts to become a real possibility. 

In the meantime they could do a sweetener deal like the ones they have done with Shady, Wood, Diggs in the past where they don't do a major new contract but they add a few additional bonuses (on very meetable terms) as a reward. 

I agree. He’s signed through 2028 so after 2026 makes the most sense for an extension.  Regardless he will likely want to wait for the new broadcasting and gambling revenue to roll in and capture that in his deal.

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree. He’s signed through 2028 so after 2026 makes the most sense for an extension.  Regardless he will likely want to wait for the new broadcasting and gambling revenue to roll in and capture that in his deal.

Yea the only thing that makes me think 2025 is he is, technically, cutable after 2025. Now I think we all know that isn't happening but that does tend to be the time that agents start agitating.... if he gets to that point one option is the Bills guarantee some of his 2026 money in advance and in exchange for him waiting another year to re-up. But 2025 is the first point I think it could be on the table. Obviously restructures to create cap room before that point could change some of that anyway....

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think there's a chance in 20 years after Allen wins multiple Super Bowls, never cried about his contract while doing so....they might rename Orchard Park to Josh Allen, NY.

or maybe Allentown....see what I did there?

Edited by nucci
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't see Josh Allen wanting a new deal because he wins a super bowl.  He's not that kind of person.

Also, fans need to know JA has $30M in additional incentives in his current contract for performance/winning.

Hopefully Allen follows Brady's lead when it comes to contracts. Sure Tom got paid but he seemed to take team friendly deals so the Pats could resign their own or bring key FA's in for another Super Bowl run.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Hopefully Allen follows Brady's lead when it comes to contracts. Sure Tom got paid but he seemed to take team friendly deals so the Pats could resign their own or bring key FA's in for another Super Bowl run.

Agree.  After this contract plays out the Bills will have paid JA over $300M.  Josh knows he and his extended family is set for life.

Money is not the motivating factor in JAs mind (like Brady too).  He's also smart enough to know that his next contract with the Bills will

be for stupid money and the Bills will be happy to pay it.

JA wants to win in the game of football, the money stuff is already taken care of.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills got their QB1, LT, and CB1 signed for very fair contracts.

The Allen deal definitely looks great today but at the time they made Allen the 2nd highest paid QB in NFL history based on one season of top level play. So there was some risk involved. Allen continues to ascend making the deal even better.

The Tre White deal still remains Beane’s best signing. Got it done before Ramsey.

44 minutes ago, Greg S said:

To be fair, Brady’s wife was bringing in around 50mil a year so he didn’t have to chase every penny. Not saying Josh will, but the Brady family is in a different stratosphere. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Htt2821 said:

To be fair, Brady’s wife was bringing in around 50mil a year so he didn’t have to chase every penny. Not saying Josh will, but the Brady family is in a different stratosphere. 

Bingo!

Gissele has more career earnings than Tom does.  By a comfortable margin.  He had the luxury of not needing to maximize his salary.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.