Kyler Murray Contract

H2o

On 7/21/2022 at 12:31 PM, H2o said:

5 years, $230.5M, $160M gtd.

Just reported on ESPN. 

POS. Another self absorbed whining little turd. Zero  character. Here's to hamstringing the Cardinals for years for the sake of a loser.2

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 7/21/2022 at 10:46 AM, Logic said:

Is it just me, or do Beane's contracts frequently look like amazing values about two years into them?

I know that part of it is just the nature of the market. The "highest paid at his position" at the time of signing quickly becomes the sixth highest paid as other players sign deals.

Still, the value I see in Beane's contracts seems to go beyond that. 

Whatever he may lack in pure player evaluation, he sure seems to make up for in shrewd contract maneuvering. Credit also to former Bills fan punching bag turned afterthought Jim Overdorf, who Beane says plays a big part in the specifics of the deals.

I think this is also a reflection of the, “culture” we hear so much about. The Bills get guys who want to win and understand if they truly want that, they have to be flexible with contracts, while still being paid their worth. It’s a fine balance for sure, as you said, Beane gets it don’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't begrudge the players for getting what they can, when they can get it.

I just think it stinks that teams are forced to pay ridiculous amounts of money to their QBs, making it difficult to build around them.  And even if they can manage to build around them, they will still be faced with tough decisions/incapable of having any kind of continuity across the board.

I actually kind of like this. It adds more disparity and variety. I also like to see how teams navigate which qb’s to pay. 

I also things it’s cool to see the really good qbless teams pick up a good young guy and make runs (Seahawks). 

What else does having a high paid qb require? Good drafting. Staying on the top with top qb contracts requires help from many levels and most especially the qb himself. 

Hopefully Beane can keep it up on the drafting end, because we know Josh will (I believe in Beane btw). 

On 7/21/2022 at 1:05 PM, Greg S said:

Good for him but the Cards overpaid here. He is a good player but he is not a top 5 QB. Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Rodgers, Brady, Jackson, are better than him.

This really isn't the way the qb market works. This one kind of reminds me of Dak a few years ago, similar tier, didn't deserve to be 1st or 2nd highest paid, but what else they gunna do. GM suicide if they don't have the new guy on the roster. Suicide for an owner, cause the fans will shred you. Coach basically took the job to draft Murray. Players will be pissed their team isn't trying to win.

I wouldn't be thrilled to pay him if I was an AZ fan but classic 2bush, 2hand deal. Pre Josh we would've crucified an owner for letting a guy like this walk

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

So like the Ravens who most would consider one of the best organizations in the league aren't functional?  This season is Lamar Jacksons 5th year option.

Lamar Jackson's his own agent and got a 13 on the Wonderlic.  He's a highly unusual case.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Sounds like a great role model and leader to younger players 

They basically made him sign something saying he wouldn't play video games while pretending to prepare for next week's game.  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, eball said:

Cardinals put a 4-hour "independent study" requirement in Murray's contract.  Holy crap.  They actually had to put that in a contract for their franchise QB.

lolololol

Yea that is a worry. That should have givrn them pause.

Jordan Palmer had been asked about Kyler, and historically he has been very hesitant to speak ill of any quarterback, but he did indicate that he would tell a QB not to act like Kyler does, but he is skilled and it is working so he can get away with it. Starts at 4:20. My take is when his game falls off he will fall from the league quickly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/22/2022 at 8:53 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

This really isn't the way the qb market works. This one kind of reminds me of Dak a few years ago, similar tier, didn't deserve to be 1st or 2nd highest paid, but what else they gunna do. GM suicide if they don't have the new guy on the roster. Suicide for an owner, cause the fans will shred you. Coach basically took the job to draft Murray. Players will be pissed their team isn't trying to win.

I wouldn't be thrilled to pay him if I was an AZ fan but classic 2bush, 2hand deal. Pre Josh we would've crucified an owner for letting a guy like this walk

What you describe here is a severe lack of intestinal fortitude on behalf of the owners & GM, rewarding mediocrity is never a good thing to do. They will wallow in their own juices and be offended by the smell of their decision before this season is over. 

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.